Surge XT 2.1 testing and feedback thread

I’m just playing around with an old patch in Surge which uses feedback, and I wonder if it might make sense to have a big fat module with two filters, waveshaper and feedback?

You mean to take the 4 sample delay from 4 cables down to 1 from internal routing? Basically a module which does the vst stereo filter config?

Yeah or everything inside 1 processing block… don’t know how Surge does it, but might be nice to get the best possible feedback. I thought another 4 samples of delay get added to that from each module, so it could be 20 samples altogether… it definitely doesn’t work as smooth as in Surge. And if the new waveshaper with all those shapes could be included, playing with feedback might be even more interesting.

How much delay does it have in Surge?

So the filter and the wave shaper add no delay to the audio signal beyond the rack cables. The wave shaper itself has no delay on the controls either (the filter snaps CV every 8 blocks but is not latent in audio). Not to be all ‘you should the manual’, which I think is often rude, but we did actually make an effort to explain these in detail in the manual.

But short version is from an audio perspective filter → ws → filter → only adds sample latency due to rack processing (so one delay per cable) on the audio path.

You are correct that f → w → f → (fb) would have latency 4 if wired in rack; and could have latency 1 if done as a single module.

1 Like

oh ok, sorry, didn’t check that… it seemed to work better in Surge VST, but if it’s really just those sample delays it’s probably not worth the effort, so I’m happy with it :slight_smile:

Yeah in the vst we profess per block and do feedback inside the block; and also run 2x os. So the feedback has defacto a half sample delay in the filter block

1 Like

Hi,

is there any way on WaveShaper to see the shape plot as -1/1 (input) to -1/1 (output) mapping instead of sine (as input) to -1/1 (output)?

Usually on WaveShaper thats the way it visualize the input/output (Fruity WaveShaper for example, or Trasher2 and so on).

Not sure how thats mapping is named, but any way to display it “classic way”? :slight_smile:

That’s an easy calculation to do and we actually display it that way in the vst preview but I didn’t even think about that functional form mode in rack

If you open a GitHub issue I think it would be easy to add for a future release

1 Like

Added #883, as requested. Thanks Meanwhile, I’ll look for the same shape into Surge VST, with linear mode plot.

Hello, I am using VCV Rack Free 2.3.0 Linux x64 on Endeavour OS (which is an Arch derivative).

Both ‘Surge for Rack’ and ‘Surge XT’ appear in my Library menu as needing an update, and neither seems to update, as they are still in the menu when I reopen Rack. This is also the case for a number of other modules, but that is for another post!

When I got to the github and download a nightly and place it in the plugin directory (/home/jt4527/.Rack2/plugins) nothing happens, but after looking at the log file, I noticed this:

Failed to load library /home/jt4527/.Rack2/plugins/SurgeXTRack/plugin.so: /home/jt4527/.Rack2/plugins/SurgeXTRack/plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZNSt6locale13_S_categoriesE

I’m not really that knowledgable enough with Linux to know what is happening so here I am.

Hi!

First of all I’m not a linux user really, and when I am I use ubuntu not Arch. I’m a primarily a mac user.

But we have had and resolved this report with the following, which may work for you

The basic similar issue we saw was

1. Someone made a vcv rack package in the AUR (I think). which does a build from source
  2. That build from source is incompatible with the binaries the rack library uses for plugins
  3. but that build from source package does not build plugins

The solution is

1. Don’t use the AUR version of rack, use the downloaded version of the rack binary directly from the rack website
  2. Don’t use the library version of plugins, build the plugins from source on the same system where you build rack or
  3. or: Debug the problem with libc versions, upstream the fix to the AUR build.

hope that helps

1 Like

Not using the AUR version fixed it!

I don’t remember installing Rack from there, but I guess I did :grinning:

1 Like

VCV rack keep crash when i open some Surge module like Filter/ Waveshaper / Strings … This has been happening for a while!

I love Surge XT VSTi and modules please fix it in ASAP :heart:

For this to be fixed, the developer will need all the details needed to reproduce it, including the patch itself, and the log of the crash.

Many modules include either a source link, where you can open an issue in their repo, or an email link for support.

1 Like

That heppens even with an empty patch.

You are almost definitely experiencing this

The fix has been in the library queue for 2 weeks, but the library update hasn’t run. You can fix it by downloading the 2.2.1 version from the link in that message.

3 Likes

Thank you Paul all surge modules work well now, thank you for your help :heart::pray:

4 Likes