Studio 6 + 1, Trigger sequencer for midi controllers, prerelease

Hi, Nice Tool!

I try to setup my Launchpad X but have no idea what steps are needed to setup the sequencer. You Documentation page gives me a 404

The documentation: https://github.com/StudioSixPlusOne/rack-modules/blob/Iverson/README.md#iverson

Klaus

1 Like

@kb1

looks like that was a link to a prerelease version, the release documentation can be found : https://github.com/StudioSixPlusOne/rack-modules/blob/master/README.md#iverson

Thanx for the answer. I found that but it’s more a list of features. I use Logic Pro X and know a lot about Synths since the 80s, but setting up Launchpad X with iverse in Rack is a bit tricky for me at the moment. Is there a basic documentation?

Launchpad X is not in the presets. Does it work with iversion? How is the midi routing? I play the standard Rack Preset via QWERTY and can hear the sound. I connected the Launchpad X, but it doesn’t work. MIDI-CV offers Core Midi, Bridge, Computer Keyboard and Game Controller).

In iverse I did /Preset/Launchpad Mk2 MIDI I/O both core midi What do I need more? Clock?

Greetings

Klaus

In Iverson choose the in and outs for your controller and then you can map the pads to the squares on the sequencer.

Hey TroubledMind,

thanx for help. My Controller is Launchpad X. This one is not listed in Midi In and Midi Out. Only CoreMidi, Bridge, Computer kbd and Gamepad.

And how does the mapping work?

Klaus

1 Like

Klaus

The midi mapping black UI elements have three lines, set the top row to core midi, click on the middle row, and your launchpad X should be listed. This need to be done for both midi in and out.

To assign midi mappings for the grid buttons,

1. click the midi learn button on the left of the iversion UI
  2. press a pad on your launchpad
  3. press the corresponding button on Iverson’s UI
  4. the UI button will change colour and display a midi mapping x:xxx
  5. repeat steps 2 - 4 until all pads are mapped 5 click midi learn on the UI, to leave midi learn mode.

you can use the same method to assign all the buttons on the UI, except midi learn.

I hope this helps, but please feel free to ask if you require more assistance.

Thank You Dave! That looks like all information I missed. I will try that.

Klaus

1 Like

I have decided to post a new beta version here, as it contains some requested features that I feel are an important part of the user experience.

• New controller templates
  • A “Slow midi feedback mode” option in the context menu, that reduces the midi feedback rate. This may help with older hardware.
  • Assignable midi controller feedback values in context menu. These can be used to select the colours shown on the controllers. These colour values vary between manufactures and models.
  • Reduced midi feedback data.

I am intending to implement Euclidean rhythms, before the next release.

3 Likes

Hi Dave, I don’t care about the midi controller part of the module :stuck_out_tongue: but I really like the probability part of the main and alt. Made a mock-up, of what I would love to see. CV for Active on/off and cv for the probability. And there must be a way to give it a bit more room by using the top and sides a bit more.

Wadda you say :smiley:

1 Like

THANKS! Works nicely now on oldie Launchpad even without slow midifeedback option. Another respect for the color setting features! Could you also add some indication for the LENGHT mode and choosen colors for SCENE (active) buttons as well? And yeah, page choosen buttons would be nice too. Cheers! P.S with euclid it will be total mindblowing!

1 Like

Peter, I am happy you like Iverson so far. When originally designing I did consider cv inputs for the probability and active controls, but decided it would make the UI too cluttered, with the intention of being a performance controller I decided to omit. I think CV inputs would be a great candidate for an expansion module… I have a few things to update on iverson first, but I have added it to my todo list :slight_smile:

Are the grey vertical strips in your image to denote splitting the grid into groups of four? My early ui was grouped like that, but due to the variable length for each track, and the use of poly rhythms I decided not to, in an effort to encourage users to think outside 4/4.

Thank you for the feedback, Dave

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the way to do it. :hugs:

Yes I always like some kind of grid I can never tell if it’s the 12 or 13th beat especially with the red end/length stopper. (But that’s just me) :smiley: ( I know how to ruin a svg )

Thanks for answering, Peter.

1 Like

Artem, nice to know it works for you, the midi out has been on a heavy diet :slight_smile:

The indication for length and page buttons you refer to, you mean in midi learn mode? yes I agree, and are on my list

1 Like

Thanks! Works perfectly.

1 Like

Regarding expansion, would it be possible to implement some kind of CV output? I’m thinking about how the launchpad works with ableton (and particularly with some of the scripts like Native Kontrol’s Arsenal) where there are modes for different things (mixer, pan etc), and shift keys for switching modes. From what I remember of Arsenal, the Mixer button was Shift so you pressed this in combination of another top row/right column button to change the mode.

It would be interesting if you could have the pad sequencer in one mode, press a button to shift to another mode and control CVs with the columns or rows of the launchpad (bottom/left 0v, top/right 10v and interpolated in-between).

This would mean that launchpads like my mk2 could be used as they are labelled, one mode for volume, one for pan, sends, mutes, solos, record, or for whatever.

Without looking into this, to assess viability, I like the Idea. I am going to have to find some time to research. I have a launchpad mk3 and ableton but have never used them together, so that may be a good place to start.

I am thinking aloud now, would it be preferable to have this all contained within Iverson, with an expansion for the CV outs, or as independent modules with a way to switch between controlling them from a single controller?

1 Like

I was thinking the same, maybe it would be better as an indepenent but linked module. It seems that people are enjoying Iverson as a non-midi controlled sequencer so maybe it would be more universal and flexible for different/not intended use cases if it were a separate module.

1 Like

Euclidean pattern generation has now been added to the beta : Release RC1.2.1.3 Euclidean beats · StudioSixPlusOne/rack-modules · GitHub

The length of the euclidean pattern is set with the length control the same as previous. To set the number of hits in the pattern click the Euclidean button, and click on the track in the grid, the column number will be the number of hits. Patterns can also be rotated, click on the Rotate control, then the first two columns in the grid to rotate individual tracks back or forward.

The new controls are mappable, but have not been added to any presets yet.

5 Likes

Omri’s video got me here, and I remembered I still have a launchpad mini lying around… I’ve been trying to midimap iverson jr with it, but so far it’s not working. i’ll have another look at it on the weekend. how did you guys go about mapping the mk2, mk3 mini and pro mk1 @TroubledMind

I’m not at home at the moment but I think I did just 8 lines with 8 steps, the buttons on the right for mute and the top ones for Length and maybe pages? I’ll need to have a look but I will have to revise it to include Rotate and Euclidean. When I get a chance I’ll do that and update you and post the preset here if is open to being updated.