Studio 6 + 1, Trigger sequencer for midi controllers, prerelease

Probably a very simple question… what could I put between the main output of Iverson and a sequencer to make the sequencer play one cycle of it’s sequence from one step being active. Is this even possible. I’ve just tried various switches and envelopes but can’t seem to work it out. Is that even possible?

Hi FireAppleRed Im not sure I understand the description too well, could you please post a small patch demonstrating what you have tried, I will try to find some suggestions.

@Curlymorphic

Hi Dave, sorry looking back my explanation was way long winded, heh! I want to trigger a sequencer from Iverson but rather than have several steps in Iverson step through the sequence I want to trigger the whole sequence with one Iverson step. I was thinking I could use a switch or utility between them. Here’s an image.

The clock driving Iverson has 100% PW, Ions sequence will progress whenever the Iverson step is active. I hope this helps

1 Like

Dave, that’s exactly what i was after. Many thanks, much appreciated.

1 Like

Hey @Curlymorphic ,

thanks for this awesome module! I just mapped my launchpad pro mk3 to the Iverson JR and it is working very nice. The launchpad pro mk3 has a programmer mode, where you can access and assign every button around the grid as well. Here is my layout so far:

I have a wishlist for future updates: It would be really great, if the non-grid-buttons would also send out a midi message for coloring the buttons.

I really would like to see a way of toggling between different Probability Settings via a button. The two bottom rows of the launchpad could then be used to switch between different probability settings for the individual channels. There could be a toggle setting where you can set different toggle-options, like:

• 0 - 0.25 - 0.5 - 0.75 - 1
  • 0 - 0.33 - 0.66 - 1 - 1.33 - 1.66 - 2
  • etc.

If then the value would be sent out with a midi message, you could see the probability state via the color of the button.

Thank you very much for your work!

• mo

Launchpad Pro MK3.vcvm (20.3 KB)

I wish there was 3 states for each trigger button - off, on, probability. Where if it’s on, that trigger plays every time, no matter what (ie. 4 on the floor kick) and it it’s set to probability then that trigger is affected by the channel’s probability setting (ie. extra kicks that only hit once and a while).

I love probability, but with just a splash of stability.

Right now, I use 2 channels, one with 100% prob and one with less and then OR the triggers with a logic module, but that cuts the number of available channels from 8 to 4, so not ideal.

Some Imprmptu modules do this (Gate-Seq-64 for instance). It’s a nice way of building a beat with a backbone and some variation.

1 Like

Yeah, totally. Those ones can set the probability step-by-step and it’s pretty rad. My reason for wanting this in Iverson-Jr. is because it maps to my APC mini so easily and I like the idea of having a simple fader that controls the probability on all triggers that are probablistic. It’s a great sequencer for playing live.

But yeah, maybe I can whing something up with MidiMap and Gate-Seq.

Iverson is a wonderful tool for a mouseless approach to VCV. There are more powerful sequencers in VCV (ratcheting, probability per step, velocity, …), but for a creative or live session it is absolutely great. I tried the built in sequencer from the launchpad first, but wasn’t getting anywhere. I patched the rest of the buttons of the launchpad and the missing functionality of iverson with additional modules.

That in combination with TouchOSC on my Ipad for the instruments in a patch is just pure fun.

1 Like

Rad, I’ma try this out. Any chance you couuld save as a strip?

Sure, but it is just for lighting up the launchpad, I don’t know if you could also map the non-grid buttons on an APC mini. Mapped Launchpad.vcvss (57.0 KB)

@mosphaere

Thank you for taking the time for producing the midi mapping.

I like your idea for using buttons to step through the probability options, it would really improve the use of launchpads with Iverson, and I shall be looking into this feature.

@robb How to implement the per step probability, while retaining the functionality of an external controller has been on my mind for a while, but your comment about using logic OR has inspired me. I just need to reflect on how to display this on controllers that only have 3 colour LED’s like the APC mini. The mention of mapping other VCV step sequencers to midi controllers reminded me this is why I wrote Iverson, as I had little success with getting feedback to the controllers, and stability issues.

The non-grid buttons on an APC mini can be mapped, and are done so in the factory presets, these can be changed by the user.

I would like to thank you both for your suggestions

2 Likes

I quite like the visualization and the programming style of the launchpad sequencer. Secondary functions (probability, mutation, ratcheting and velocity) of a step are not displayed directly, instead you have to select the step, then press the function-button and the value is displayed as a horizontal fader in the grid. As you have already “secondary functions” of steps, maybe this could be an option?

First two rows display Velocity and Probability, when a step in the lower four rows is selected, and last two rows if step in the first four is selected while VEL/PROB is active. Then some QoL-Options like resetting Velocity and Probability per Row, et voila :stuck_out_tongue:

I am sorry, I have a strong imagination but really have no plan how hard this would be to realize. If this is not feasible you have every right to laugh at my awful MS-Paint-skills and forget about this posting :wink:

• mo

Will your modules be available in v2? I know you had issues with the Mac version, has anything changed?

1 Like
1 Like

Hopefully you guys can work this out. So much love for these modules and your efforts.

1 Like

Hey guys, any news about Iverson jr being available in v2? Are there any alternatives to control apc mini from vcv?

1 Like

I am wondering the same. It looks like somebody has started a port to v2, but it was not finished. Is anybody currently working on this?

2 Likes

I have finally updated to V2.0. I have another thread with links to beta binaries. If no issues are raised I intend to submit to the library in the next few days.

7 Likes