Stoermelder's PackOne v1.4.0 - new module INTERMIX

(BTW I’m a midi novice, so this could just be misunderstanding on my part) I’ll back up a bit. For the simplest example, what I’d like is that a given button on the controller could toggle off and yellow. And another would toggle between green and red. MIDI-CAT sends note and velocity info back to the controller on button press, do I have that right?

Yes, that’s right. The main purpose is to reflect the state of some parameter in Rack on the controller, especially after you load a patch. For a knob you want your controller to be initialized at its current position. Obviously this works best for digital controllers but there are also some controllers with motorized faders, like the Behringer BCF 2000.

OK, thanks. I’ll just re-state things to make sure it’s clear to me. So let’s say I have a controller button mapped to the Clocked run button. When I press the controller button, midi info comes into MIDI-CAT, which then affects the Clocked run button. Then MIDI-CAT sends info back to the controller, with the note value of the controller button and a velocity. And the velocity value comes from the mapped control’s parameter.

If I have that right, then the AKAI APC Mini is probably not going to get the right value to toggle its colour state. But maybe MIDI-CAT could allow the user to type in a set of velocity values (e.g. 0,0.083,0.25) for a mapping, and each time a mapped MIDI message goes through MIDI-CAT it would send back the next velocity in the list? Not ideal, because the state is then held in MIDI-CAT rather than the mapped control. But maybe better than having to build a state machine out of other modules? Or is there a better way?

Yes, this is pretty much how it works. The idea would be that the led on your midi controller reflects the current state of Clocked’s run button. This is nice for buttons but really great for knobs or faders.

I’m still not sure how you would benefit from entering these values: They will be sent to the midi controller, but still mapped onto the parameter. Most of the time these values would not make much sense for the parameter while they would be fine for the controller.

I had once a APC Mini for week but I returned it, didn’t like it that much. I know there are some special scripts and tools to repurpose such controllers as sequencers, in which case colors and flashing for the buttons comes handy. But this would need a quite different module which also needs to be customized for the controller.

Thanks for listening. Just one more thought then; could it work if there was a way to enter parameter value-velocity value pairs? E.g. (parm-value1, vel-value1}, {parm-value2, vel-value2}. In other words, a given value of a parameter would send a particular velocity value.

It looks like the Novation Launchpad works in a similar manner.

This would work. Note mapping has currently two modes, momentary and toggle, and there was actually a feature request for three-way switches. This idea would generalize it.

I will think about how entering value-pairs in Rack could be done in a user-friendly way.

Thanks!

It’s been a long way but v1.3.0 of PackOne is finally available in the library. Here is the changelog:

• Module ARENA
    • New module, 2-dimensional XY-Mixer for 8 sources with various modulation targets and graphical interface
  • Module MAZE
    • New module, 4 channel sequencer running on a 2-dimensional grid
  • Module 8FACE
    • Revised panel design with combined LED and buttons
  • Module 8FACEx2
    • New module, 8FACE with sixteen preset slots
  • Module µINFIX
    • New module, 8 port variant of INFIX
  • Module µMAP
    • Fixed meaningless tooltip on Map-button
  • Module MIDI-CAT
    • Fixed velocity-handling on note messages if in toggle-mode (does not need vel 127 anymore)
  • Module STRIP
    • Added utilization for Rack’s undo-history on cutting strips and pasting/loading-strips (#11)
    • Added utilization for Rack’s undo-history on enable/disable or randomize if triggered manually (#11)
  • Module ReMOVE Lite
    • Added option to start playback automatically after recording
    • Added SMTH-parameter for linear smoothing especially on jumps at sequence end and sequence change (#14)
  • All stoermelder-modules are now shipped with updated panels and minor layout fixes

I spent some time the last week updating the manuals, but still, all manuals are “work in progress” :slight_smile:

Feel free to ask any questions!

23 Likes

In arena i want to map the x and y positition of the outputs (the yellow circles i think) to -5, +5 volts and i cannot find the setting. I’ve found it for the inputs.

1 Like

Hm, you are right, I forgot the settings for x and y of the mix-channels. Thanks for pointing that out!

1 Like

It’s okay, i can use AS ReScale

Absolutely :slight_smile: The mssing setting has already been added on my GitHub-repo a few minutes ago :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe, I’ve missed something but when i was using it i found that sometimes the input would not go to an output that it was near even when it was in range, Then i’d manually move the output and it would work.

I will check it. Definitively possible I missed something while cleaning up my code…

1 Like

Reached 10,000 users in the VCV Library :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This has been quite a ride in the last 12 months… this is my first open-source project and it has been so much fun!

A big thank you to all the great people in this community! :raised_hands:

33 Likes

Total game changer, thank you, be proud :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Congrats Ben! Cheers to a great VCV Rack dev, and to your next 10k :slight_smile:

EDIT: sorry, replied to wrong comment

3 Likes

Congrats Ben,
well deserved,
imho your modules are “fundamental” and everyone should use them.

5 Likes

You can add my voice to the praise chorus. I routinely use uMap and Strip, occasionally use CV-Map, and have made some test patches with Maze. Excellent imaginative software, definitely changed the patch-control game for me. Thank you ! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Congrats, and thanks again for your really useful modules !!

1 Like