StarshipSoundtrack Challenge (July 2024)

This selection spells COSINEKITTY :wink:

Cosinekitty Plaits - 23072024.vcvs (4.7 KB)

For your entertainment.

Cosinekitty Plaits - 23072024 V2.vcvs (4.9 KB)

5 Likes

Wow, I have used this module numerous times and had no idea any of that was in there!

1 Like

Contextus’ SAM1 and SAM2 offer more speech stuff; Apices’ and Mortuus’ Number Station channel 2 can count to 10 in… some language, and Nodi’s (and Braids’) VOWL, VFOF offer vowels. For completion’s sake, Funes offers the Plaits speech stuff in VOWLSPCH mode.

2 Likes

Thanks for the leads on other modules. I have used Pink Trombone to make speech-like sounds also. That’s a very fun module.

1 Like

It is, indeed, a fun module, I’ve played around with it (and the browser version of the model); but haven’t made anything release worthy.

Oh, this is so much fun. Thank you, @Yeager !

How did you program in the letters “cosinekitty”?

I used the clock (lfo) only for the macro osc

Then I reset the addr seq to step 1 and turn the small output knob until it says “Charlie”

Then I turned the Select knob on ADDR-SEQ to step 2 untill “Oscar”

etc.etc.

Then I added the clock

I posted 2 versions 1 is using the ADDR with a range of ±10V and the other (better) one of ±5V.

1 Like

This one sounds quite nice too…

Cosinekitty Palette - 23072024 V2.vcvs (6.9 KB)

2 Likes

Oh my goodness, how many modules have voice synth and I didn’t know it???

2 Likes

I started this when it was announced and didn’t quite finish it. But sort of tweaked it a bit now, added a compressor on the back, and adjusted levels as it rendered, and it’s OK, so figure what the heck, share it here.

9 Likes

Oh, this is VERY fun. It definitely has the scifi blinkenlights feeling to it. I love the sound design for some of the more melodic + detuned voices. Great stereo field too! Thank you Paul!

1 Like

I only discovered it on some else’s YouTube demo and heard it as they scrolled the knobs…paused the video and figured out the settings and experimented until I got something. And then I found out there are easier ways and modules to get this done. :grinning:

1 Like

Many thanks to @cosinekitty for working out and hosting this terrific challenge, and no less to all contributors for their ingenious entries and comments! There are a couple more days to go.

Unfortunately, I am currently lacking the time to continue with the challenges. However, @cosinekitty has agreed to be your host going forward. I hope I can at least be back for an occasional patch.

I had much fun here, thank you to everyone!

4 Likes

Thank you, @Alphagem-O! I have a new challenge idea ready for everyone. I will post a new thread on Thursday August 1 for us all to get started. In the meantime, you still have 3 more days to submit your final starship patch(es) here! I still have one more myself… stay tuned.

5 Likes

Here’s my entry, sorry for the compression… I can’t seem to get the REC module to work for video, so I just used quicktime to screen record and it looks awful. Maybe I’ll figure it out eventually.

Thanks for having these monthly challenges!

5 Likes

For the August challenge (which starts tomorrow), in the template file I will include a mixer and hook up Audio and REC correctly to it. I will also configure the REC to save to mp4 MPEG-2 format video for upload to YouTube.

I think this will make it easier for VCV rackers who haven’t recorded videos before.

1 Like

Not to rain on your parade, but how you gonna do that ?

Oops. I edited my post with correction. Thanks!

1 Like

I don’t remember what the issue is/was, but I never had much luck with the VCV Recorder MPEG-2 output format. I’ve resorted to recording to HuffYUV (ridiculously large files) and then converting to mp4 with VLC Media Player.

1 Like

Plus I’m on Linux so… who knows??? It would be good to hear if there is a consensus video format for people on Windows and/or Mac.