StarshipSoundtrack Challenge (July 2024)

I just can’t help myself. I’m having so much fun with the starship theme. For my entry 3/5, I imagined a robotic craft drifting through interstellar space. From its surface protrude countless radio antennas of various sizes and configurations. For eons it listens, seeks, waits…

Here is the patch.

10 Likes

StarshipSoundtrack July 2024_Template_yier3.vcv (27.5 KB)

I decided to do it again too. This one is more ambient, I guess. @cosinekitty, if you want to and if you are okay with it, could you make a video again? This one is the last one, I promise, haha. I just wanted to go with space isolation thematic. A scary thing if you think about it. Like imagine if you are somewhere in the universe with no stars, no asteroids, not even a stray atom there. So nothing but you and your spaceship. And then something breaks and now you are probably there forever. No chance anyone would EVER find you there. I mean we can’t find crashed planes on Earth sometimes… So that’s fucking terrifying. At least to me

Here is the video, Yier. Another cool approach to the theme. Thank you!

9 Likes

Things were a little quiet over here so I decided to submit my entry 4/5 “Hyperspace Cruise”. This is a no-rhythm, no-melody, ambient hypno-drone with lots of slow chaotic movement.

5 Likes

Wow, I’ve learned a lot in creating this - and thank you tons to everyone, especially the ones that I’ve reworked their demo videos and patches into this alarming starship cruise. I could not have come up with these sounds without your input into the community, and I’m s.l.o.w.l.y. figuring some of the things out. Your creativity and brain power are too immense for this humble alien life form here.

Recreated some wuw and zhuzh patches, added some radio interference, and a manually triggered alarm with a 42 second alarm. Don’t panic, grab your towel, no Babelfish needed to play this!

Starship Soundtrack Challenge - Alarming Starship Cruise | Patchstorage

2 Likes

Thank you for your fun submission, @dplunkie ! I absolutely love the 42-second countdown. Wonderful allusion.

Can you do us a favor and edit your post to include a link to the YouTube video also? Just put the link on a line all by itself at the bottom of your post and this forum software will embed the video nicely. Thanks!

Gave it a shot :

Beacon - 13072024.vcv (6.7 KB)

Tag entries “StarshipSoundtrack July 2024”… forgot to do that.

7 Likes

Thanks, Peter! This was great. And oh man, I love it that someone else already created a Morse Code module. I really want one, I would create one if I had to.

1 Like

Love the horror vibe!

1 Like

I like it! This sounds like it could have been used in the soundtrack for “Arrival”.

1 Like

Evidently I’m too new to post more than 2 links (though I only see one actual link in my post here) but the video is linked on the PatchStorage page that I do have linked. Not sure how long this limitation will be, but I’ll make it past it eventually!

Oh, I didn’t realize the forum software limited links like that! I am posting the video for you, so that we can all play it from this thread.

3 Likes

I made a mistake and I know, that’s why this patch is not in the contest: I used a couple of retail modules but I noted that only when I was finalizing the video, and at this point I was a) enough pissed off b) more or less proud of this new patch

And so I decided to post the video anyway but without the patch because it is’disqualified’!

It is a second take on the “Nostromo vibes”. I can’t help it but when I think about a starship I think about Nostromo. It was love at first bite. :laughing:

6 Likes

Thank you Don - hopefully I’ll be able to post a few things so that it lets me most multiple links in the forum posts! In the mean time, I’ll try to list everything everywhere else.

Post #2 - Oinks in Orbit!

Based almost entirely off of The Muppet Show’s Pigs In Space, I’ve found pig and space related modules and jammed them together. It might not be the most Ham-bient sounding, and could use a bit of subtlety, but I hope that I pulled (pork) you into listening for a couple of minutes. I hope you enjoy the grisly throb of it all.

Spent too much time getting the phonetic alphabet sequenced to spell out what I wanted - “o i n k s i n s p a c e”, so went with just O I N K S, but then switched over to an R2-Unit for some change up. Feel free to switch the Harmonizer over between 70% and 80% to switch from spoken letters to phonetic.

2 Likes

Video is at

6 Likes

Could have gone this way (faster) :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you! Half the issue with creativity is not knowing what is available, but the other half is being stubborn enough to force yourself to learn to use something and stretch those remaining brain cells into submission. Now that I’ve tried the hard way, I will give the easier way a try.

1 Like

I enjoyed this patch a lot. I still don’t understand how you are generating the speech of the military alphabet … can you explain that?

not the patcher, but Plaits has a voice section with colors, numbers, letters, the military alphabet, and some “synth” words like modulator and synthesizer, very robotic and raspy but hella fun

3 Likes