Slider or Knob on a Mixer Channel?

Looking good! So this would replace the complicated 4trk -Merge and Split option for 4 voice polyphony? If so huzzah!

This is the clincher for me.

The numbers of cables to connect will be the same.

Ok, so does it have go through the Merge/Split modules. Just trying to get my head around the connections.

The pitfall is that this may lead you to mixing-by-eye instead of mixing-by-ear. IMO working on the screen with knobs instead of sliders may lead to better results because the ear is not distracted by the eye. On hardware, multiple sliders can be moved by one hand. This is impossible with knobs.

No, because the merge/split modules will be built in.

For connecting 4 tracks you need 5 cables: 4 cables to the merge module and 1 cable from the merge module to the tape recorder module.

If you take a look at my screenshot, you will find even more cables connecting the 4 mixer modules to each other and to the tape recorder module, and additional to that you need the 4 cables connected to the input of each mixer module. It just looks nicer on the screen but if you build the same stuff using existing modules, you get the same results.

I think the Rack with its modular concept could also be used to build modular mixing consoles like this one here:

There are several/many modular mixers in VCV. Mine are certain all not the first, but I think they have been around as long as Rack 1.0?

I’m assuming you’ve seen these?

https://library.vcvrack.com/?query=&brand=Glue+the+Giant&tag=&license=

Those are exactly the ones I was thinking of. It seems they are still popular. I think this one might be the first one I saw? VCV Library

probably, Clement was one of the first devs here

2 Likes

That’s dope. I like the wide ver.

1 Like

Yes, it sums to a stereo bus and it uses knobs exclusively.

1 Like

It’s the devil’s work burn the heretic!!!

Looking very good, anywhere near release yet?

maybe next x-mas :santa:

Oh no. but but… I need this to manipulate more virtual tapes in Tascam 4 track type manner!! So what devilry is moving the sliders?

As you see, I’m working on this module.
But I can’t give you a shipping date because this is not my job for living.

I know and you always produce the goods, all your modules are worth waiting for! Thanks for expanding all the possibilities of the Tape recorder.

1 Like

I think I’m getting close to release the Flying Fader.

1 Like