Slider or Knob on a Mixer Channel?

About the colour? Nah. It’s mostly just my 17 years in broadcasting tech (AM, FM, Shortwave, bit of TV) that is nostalgic for it.

If they are actually VU meters It makes a difference, because it reminds you that it’s not measuring the peaks. Sort of like a disclaimer or “Parental Advisory” tacked on.

yeah, ok, I’m old, too, but I think at this point people don’t need the vintage background color. And they might as well use k system ballistics or BBC standard these days, rather than VU. I know peak reading meters are an abomination for “pro” work. I have had that argument many times myself

Some variations of VU-meters and knobs … and a slider:

There are already some sliders in the library. Some examples here:

Why should I make another one? Because of this: Flying Faders

1 Like

It is quite easy substitute you own svg to re skin a slider. I think.

I have some friends that have been selling audio products for a few years, they found a sack of oven knobs on ebay, and have been selling hardware with these on for a long time. They do however fit the style as all their products are retro looking, large, with wooden end cheeks.

2 Likes

Flying faders in VCV appeal to me a lot more than the hardware versions, In hardware as shown in the video they can be very noisy. I would expect them to be good in the virtual world.

2 Likes

Well I have automated all the faders on Mindmeld Mixer 8 track version and got some Dub mix sounds out of it. Look on the ‘Dub in the style of King Tubby’ thread on here for audio. A bit weird that, synchronicity or just thread hijacking? :innocent:

Probably a little of both? But this thread seems to have run its course. Seems ripe for hijacking!

Flying Faders are in progress …

2 Likes

May I ask what is special about these flying faders? Sure, nothing against doing your own fader, but I think it’s pretty easy to get MixMaster’s faders “flying” with my TRANSIT module…

3 Likes

It’s not about getting the faders to fly, it’s about how to use them in a mixing sitation:

Imagine you have some instruments, each volume controlled by a fader. Now you want to add a group fader that controls some of the existing faders. The point is, you won’t loose the position of your faders when connecting the group fader and you want to change the value of a fader in a group after the group fader is connected.

I simply try to resemble what is called a VCA-fader on a mixing console.

1 Like
3 Likes

Ah I see, thanks for the explanation.

I worked for Tree Audio building those consoles…

2 vacuum tubes in each input module and 5 tubes in each power supply…

2 Likes

Hello again, is this for the ‘Tascam 4 track tape recorder’ set up that was rumoured to be underway last year? If it is part of that, it is looking good so far!

2 Likes

Yes Sir! :level_slider: :level_slider: :level_slider: :level_slider: :level_slider:

3 Likes

You can mostly do this already I think on MM mixers using the Vol CV inputs (in fader control mode so they move in a scaled way like the regular faders do) and a linear external fader like Tact. The faders themselves don’t move but the vol CV indicators move the same as the faders do in your video.

The only difference is that on the MM mixer, the faders then represent the maximum level (you can’t push the level higher than the fader position, only lower). And to make the level not change when you connect the external fader, you need the group fader to be at 10V when you connect it. You can can change the value of a fader in the group after the group fader is connected.

Yes, I’m aware of that. My module resembles a motorized fader and afaik actually there’s no such module in the VCV library. And it’s a lot of fun to develop this module. :sunglasses:

3 Likes