Sisters with Transistors - new documentary coming

There’s a documentary coming about electronic music’s female pioneers, narrated by Laurie Anderson. It includes: Clara Rockmore, Daphne Oram, Bebe Barron, Pauline Oliveros, Delia Derbyshire, Maryanne Amacher, Eliane Radigue, Suzanne Ciani, and Laurie Spiegel.

15 Likes

two nice playlist to listen to before the movie comes out

7 Likes

<3

Sisters With Transistors, after being shown at film festivals, gets a general release this month. Check your local cinemas/streaming services.

E.g.

Dundee Contemporary Arts | Re:Sisters (dca.org.uk)

Sister with Transistors - Metrograph

1 Like

As I just posted over in What are you Watching?, there’s a preview screening and Q&A streaming on Wednesday 21st: see here for more info. Can’t wait!

1 Like

fantastic, thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

I recently found about this documentary. I haven’t seen it, but I want to buy it (not only rent it).

3 Likes

I am interested in trying to create something similar to Pauline Oliveros’s Expanded Insturment System. Or some of her early tape delay experiments. Or a time lag accumulator. Omri’s video on multitap delay with AS Signal Delay seems close. Has anyone else tried to set up something similar?

2 Likes

she taught music at my high school!

5 Likes

Hey yes that sounds amazing! I was actually fortunate to work a little on the EIS up at EMPAC awhile back - super cool stuff.

Feel like that could be super do-able - IIRC the EIS was mostly built around MIDI control of those lexicon rack mount delays, and then later the VST versions of them controlled in Max -

Her book ‘Sounding the Margins’ has some great info + diagrams of the system too if of use! m

1 Like