Sisters with Transistors - new documentary coming

Thanks Dan. Downloaded and looking forward to reading it.

Thanks very much! It was fun to do it, I learned a lot and now I’m taking a break from it asessing what worked, what doesn’t work, and how I would re-approach it again next time. But I have the definate feeling of a rich field to tap into.

I’ve just listened through “one” a first time. This is wonderful! I really like it, well done. Looking forward to listening through the next two. Really like the sound treatment as well. Is “Yokai Holiday” your artist name? Already 30 seconds into “two” now, love it! Happy I’ve discovered your music. More of it in other places than YouTube?

Yeah, this is what I mean when I say prep work and timing diagrams. Listening to it I’m pretty sure Eno didn’t go back and cleaned up. It sounds very very planned to me, even looking at those diagrams of his in the liner notes to Music for Airports, so I think next time I’ll try a proper prep and see how it goes.

5 minutes into “two” now - MAN that sounds good, just up my street!!

Well, it worked really well I’d say.

Absolutely love it, even better than the first one at first listen, wow…

Heh, thanks very much Dan. I think I’m a bit too modest for that yet, and not happy enough with the final result, but I do have in mind to make a serious effort with an album at some point, around a theme of sorts - time is the enemy.

That’s very kind of you. I have no idea of what’s involved with the whole Distrokid and Spotify thing. Is payment involved? Do I still get to own it a 100%?

Oh boy, that would be a major catalogueing effort :slight_smile: But yeah, is someone had enough free time on their hands. Between just this forum and the FB group, a LOT of music is being produced.

Yeah, you’re probably right. The things the early pioneers struggled hard with that we get for free :slight_smile:

Just listened through “three” now. My favorites at first listen are definately: two, one, three. Good stuff!

I really didn’t know his work very well until he came to Mills the last year I was still hanging out there often, and did a spoken word performance that blew my mind. The writing the delivery, it was all great. And for the professors it was like their cool elderly father was visiting, their faces seemed to light up when he was around.

I think a lot of good female composers that I got to study with came out of that era, Maggi Payne, Laetitia Sonami. I never heard what Pauline thought about him, I’d be curious what her perspective was on his time at Mills. I got the impression that he was very depressed and creatively unproductive for a number of years while heading up the department, and then seemed to find himself and come back to life in the late 70s early 80s.

Man, thanks so much for listening closely like that and offering your thoughts and encouragement, I really appreciate it!

I think, similarly, it took me a long time before I made something that I felt ready to publish. And it’s not perfect but it feels good to have a way to put it out and an excuse to polish it that last extra bit. For me it was an old friend from highschool who listens to music via youtube on her tv asking me how she could stream the things I was sharing with her, so I looked into it. Distrokid, I think I’m paying them something like $20 per year and they handle the distribution and the artist retains all the rights and royalties. The main thing for me is that they put it up on youtube, apple music, and spotify, plus a bunch of other streaming services, so I know my friends can listen to it easily and for free. There’s not much money to be made via streaming, but I don’t think I can stop obsessing about making music, so at least now I have this kind of professional feeling way to finish and publish something and share it.

I’m glad you liked the guitar piece the most. It was really nice to rediscover riding the faders and doing a live mixdown on a big multi-track piece like that. That’s the one that feels the most personal of the three. There’s something about that very slow kick drum and the way the parts go in and out on their own loops that feels very surreal to me.

I checked, and I’m paying distrokid $35 per year, and there’s $27 sitting in their account for me, $21 of which I think is from two friends who purchased albums on apple music, and the rest is streaming pennies. I don’t do very much promotion right now, so I presume it’s only shared by word of mouth.

Thanks again, it means a lot to me to read all those comments, you can tell I haven’t shared it very much :slight_smile:

Yokai Holiday is the artist name, it occurred to me about midway through the pandemic when I was watching an anime called ‘The Tatami Galaxy’, near the end of the series one of the characters who looks like a yokai is sitting on a beach in a fantasy sequence with sunblock on his nose and reading a book, I think. But it also seemed to me that it could imply an era of earth where all the ghosts have left, and humanity is the only one in charge for a while. Maybe a little bit like the sorcerer’s apprentice. This album was the second set of pandemic recordings, the first one I felt like it was about a spirit going on a long trip abroad and settling down in a new place. A little like the KLF’s ‘Chill Out’, where they had a map and they imagined a character taking a journey through the US.

Afterwards I had this feeling like I needed to paint over my mind in gesso to ready it for an attempt at a second album, but I liked these long surreal pieces too much, and they made me smile, so I refocused on them instead of figuring out what the next idea was. So I just called it Gesso, and I liked the cover design much better than my first album.

Anyway, it’s been fun, I recommend it, these distribution companies make it a lot easier for us regular folk to publish albums, and it’s been a good creative goad, giving me an itch to make the next one and the next one.

And the thing that makes it fun is, every now and then, getting some feedback like this, where you feel like you made something nice that someone enjoyed and that they got to spend a little time with your mind and liked a bit of it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for this beautiful information, much appreciated. So in the VCV Rack world we have Nysthi Sussudio and Musicbox !+2 would those perform some of the technique you used with Lubadh? Also Simpliciter as been called the poor man’s Morphagene, so would that fit into the set up. Also I found this schematic of the EIS on the internet:

Morphagene is called the rich nerd SIMPLICITER

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Might be right there! I have just Simpliciter with Soundstage with Stoermelder umap, it was working fine and then the patch stopped working. You ok looking at patch to see if it works for you?

Here’s the patch, I’ll do it in one fowl swipe, if that’s ok?

Simpliciter clockable delay combo +Soundstage.vcv (47.9 KB)

Sorry, not possible
my debug env contains only nysthi + core modules: if you are able to create a patch, I’ll test it

My pleasure entirely Dan. It’s so nice when you find someone with similar musical sensibilities that makes music you really like. I’ve been listening to “White Sky Winter Sunday” on Spotify. Man, there’s a lot of really good stuff on that one as well and it’s running on repeat here at the moment. Favorite so far is “Asimov…”.

I think when I’m finallly ready to make an album and put some nice mastering touches on it, I might look into Distrokid, because it really IS nice to stream it on Spotify. Bandcamp is another good place to release albums. Until now the music I’ve put on YouTube I consider more to be like “snapshots I leave behind on my musical journey” and I haven’t put a lot of polish on it. But it’s been really nice to put them out there and get feedback and likes from people here and in the Facebook group. That has turned out to be motivating to me, to my surprise. If/when you make something with VCV Rack I would definately encourage you to share it here on this forum and in the FB group, and when you make some with Eurorack to share it in this or this group, and if it’s ambient in this group.

So yeah, thanks for sharing your music Dan! For me it’s a great delight to find new music and artists I really like, doesn’t happen a lot, and I guarantee you there’s more people than me in here that will like your music as well, so do share it around.

Been listening to it yesterday. Really like your music, Dan!

1 Like

Thanks the NYsthi + core modules means you have not got Soundstage is that right then? I have made another version of the patch, should I upload that to here, it has stopped working once, it was when I connected BPM LFO into the area below: Nysthi Simplicier LFO problem area

I don’t understand what you are saying
there are 2 inputs in that area and 1 slice

one input set ON-OFF the SLICE mode and the second one SELECT the current SLICE, if SLICES are on

but
A) if you have one SLICE nothing is going to change, and you probably are RETRIGGERING the start of the play, always in the same area, and if it’s ZERO area, you’ll hear ZERO B) if you connect something very fast to SEL you’ll get nothing

SEL is ADDR in MIDI VC mode

incremental for 0.083333 volts

you select the first slice with a range between 0 andd 0,08333 the second with 0,08333 and 0,1666666 etc etc

if you put a fast moving voltage you 'll get NOTHING

Thanks, it wasn’t so much as nothing, it was a crash and now the old patch won’t open up. Guess I’ll have to put it down to experience. Do appreciate your info though.

From the Sisters with Transistors Mailing list;

NEWSLETTER #5 - Thanks for watching!

Happy new year! We hope you are all doing well! We’ve been super busy these last few months working on sharing the film as widely as possible, and we’ve been touched by your feedback and support. Here are more screenings, updates and news!

We really want to thank you all again for accompanying us in the exciting and complex journey that is distributing an independent documentary, and for your enduring interest and enthusiasm!

UPCOMING SCREENINGS

LUMIERE CINEMA (Maastricht, Netherland): Sisters With Transistors will be screened at the Lumiere Cinema on February 10th.

GRAUZONE FESTIVAL (Den Haag, Netherlands): Sisters With Transistors will be shown at the Grauzone Festival on February 11th and 12th. Location and time to be announced on the festival’s website.

MAI MUTE (Florence, Italia): The film will be screened at Cinema La Compagnia as part of Mai Mute, Cinema and Feminist Encounters, on February 24th.

ANTENNA FILM FESTIVAL (Sydney, Australia): The film will be shown at the Antenna Film Festival in Sydney on February 5th and 10th. More infos on the festival’s website.

LE VECTEUR (Charleroi, Belgium): Sisters With Transistors will be shown in Charleroi at Le Vecteur on March 9th.

POOLINALE NIGHTS (Vienna, Austria): The film will be screened at the Kino am Spittelberg on January 19th.

BLACK MOVIE INTERNATIONAL INDEPENDENT FILM FESTIVAL (Geneva, Switzerland): The film will be screened at the Geneva International Independent Film Festival on January 21st and 26th. More infos on the festival website. You can also watch it online on online.blackmovie.ch from January 28th to February 1st.

KINO REX BERN (Bern, Switzerland): The film will be shown at the KINO REX on January 21st and 30th and February 1st.

LE CONCORDE (La Roche-sur-Yon, France): The film will be shown at the cinema Le Concorde on February 3rd.

PBA LILLE (Lille, France): The film will be shown at the Palais des Beaux-Arts de Lille on March 8th.

RELEASE NEWS

We are happy to announce that Sisters With Transistorsis now distributed in Mexico by Cine Tonalá, in Canada by Kino Smith and in the Netherlands by Pink Moon, in addition to the distribution in U.K. by Modern Films and in the U.S. by Metrograph Pictures.

For French and German audiences, the 52 minutes TV cut of the film will be shown on Arte TV channel on February 21st at 1:10PM.

For countries where the film is not distributed yet, you can watch the film on our Vimeo page for a limited time. Click HERE to watch and spread the word!

PRESS

We were very happy to see the film featured in the french newspaper Libération’s Culture Newsletter, especially under such praising terms :

“Lisa Rovner’s remarkable film goes way beyond lamentation (…) it tells stories of passionate love between visionaries and electronic sound in all its glorious wilderness.” You can also hear the director Lisa Rovner talk about the film on Acne Studio’s instagram page.

HOST A SCREENING!

We’ve just added a new feature to our website that allows you to register for private screenings. If you’re a company, a non-profit or an association outside of the U.S. and want to share the film with your community, you can fill up the form and we’ll get back to you quickly with answers and assistance. Click HERE to check it out!

For international sales inquiries contact Monoduo Films at ben@monoduo.net.

If you are an educator and are interested in screening Sisters with Transistors to your students, please email us at sisterswithtransistors@gmail.com.

Sisters With Transistors produced by Anna Lena Films In association with Willow Glen Films Written and directed by Lisa Rovner Produced by Anna Lena Vaney Coproducer Marcus Werner Hed Executive producerAshleigh Arrell Associate producer Elizabeth Benjamin

Copyright © 2020 Sisters With Transistors, All rights reserved.

1 Like

For those who can access it, Sisters With Transistors is showing on Sky Arts tonight at 10:30 UK time.

Thank you, something worth staying up for! Can’t sleep cos of the heat anyway!