Well both Slade and Nu-Poly Splice worked perfectly once I combined them with some additional modules.
This functionality is part of an emulator patch with a Patch Master UI. I need the number of switch channels to be under user control.
For me the Slade was more straight forward in my use case.
I had to think a bit more to get the Nu-Poly Splice to work. But once done, it worked beautifully. The step direction is controlled via radio buttons, so I needed an extra MIX 4 to provide the needed CV.
I always have 8 channels patched in, but the number actually used at any given time is variable.
I have a PatchMaster knob controlling the ML Poly Splitter Channels knob. But in a general sense it should allow CV control as well.
For my use case it would be great if PolySplice had a Channels knob to control how many channels are used for switching, with the rest being ignored. I think it should have CV input as well.
I didn’t need it in this case, but it would also be cool if there was a Start knob and CV input to control where to start the switching sequence. So if Channels is set to 3, and Start is 5, then switching would occur between channels 5, 6, 7. The sequence can wrap, so if Start was 15, then channels 15, 16, 1 would be used.
I found the Mode knob difficult to use, I guess because you have to turn so much to get to the next mode. I’m not sure what could be done about that.
The faceplate displays the selected mode, but the knob hover menu should also display the selected mode name. I naturally look at the menu rather than the faceplate when I “twist” a knob. Also, Patch Master could then display the mode name as well. If labeled properly, I probably would have controlled the mode with a Patch Master knob instead of radio buttons.
Thank you, excellent feedback, I will have a think about these points and see what I can work into the module.
I can do something about this, when I built the module I wanted to experiment with this UI control, because the default knob controls don’t suit mode selection well, but until now I have had no user feedback on if what I changed is better or not.
Eureeka! I never realized your knob was non-standard, and you must drag horizontally to move instead of vertically, so of course I struggled.
Now that I understand how it works, it works perfectly fine. When I first started with VCV, I struggled with all knobs because I was dragging the knob in a circular pattern. I eventually learned to just drag up and down.
If you used a horizontal slider instead of a knob, then I think using horizontal motion makes sense. But I don’t think it is a good idea to make your knob behave differently then the standard.
I tried it out, and wasn’t sure if I liked it or not. Then I noticed that the history was not reliable when I moved the knob with the wheel. Sometimes Ctrl-Z would restore the previous setting, and sometimes it would restore an earlier unrelated action. So I don’t think I will use the feature.
I need 8->1, not 1->8, but that is not particularly important. Yes your 1->16 patch can work fine if you always want to switch between all 16 channels. But if you want all 16 channels patched, but allow the user (or CV) to dynamically specify how many channels to use, then the patch must become way more complicated.
Before I had the sense to ask if there was an 8->1 switch with de-click available, I actually implemented 8->1 using multiple VCV 4->1 switches. I didn’t worry about making it pure VCV, and it was still pretty damn complicated. Besides working out the overall logic, I also had technical issues like converting the incoming trigger into a 1 sample trigger, and inserting the correct number of sample delays for certain paths. Had I learned of the much simpler solutions before, I never would have taken the time to do this. It was kind of a fun challenge though.
Below is a video of my solution. The entire top row (except the recorder) is functioning as my 8->1 switch. The ADDR-SEQ Select control marked by a dark blue square is controlled by the Patch Master Grains control (which I am controlling manually throughout the video). In turn the ADDR-SEQ drives the TRANSIT module, which controls the 5 controls marked by a lighter blue square to the right. The FADE modules are working as instantaneous switches.
I color coded the cables to make it easier to trace the logic of the patch. The pink cables are the incoming trigger that gets converted to a 1 sample trigger, represented by the purple cables. The rest is fairly straight forward.
EDIT: I just realized I don’t need TRANSIT to control the two 4->1 switch sequence lengths since each switch is already being reset at the appropriate time to cycle back to step 1. I can simply leave those two switches at length 4.
I think it would be fair to say that any module that acts like a switch should have an optional de-click built it. IMAO.
I originally did this for the harmonic level CV inputs in Chebyshev. It is fun and easy to run various things into those, but of course it can click. so I put in the lag generator.
Then I thought it (the lag generator) was so cool (and low CPU) that I made Slade - maybe it was even in the same release.
Later that same lag generator was a key part in the limiter in F2, which I immediately put aside to make Comp with… the same lag generator.
Anyway, even though I have a (well earned) reputation as “the alias police” what I really, really hate is hearing an otherwise good sounding synth path that is popping away like crazy. It’s almost like a constant 1/8 note metronome with a random volume continues all the time. I really don’t like that!