sequence a particular step in a sequence

CYC is a polyphonic sequencer, but you can keep it simple and drive it monophonically. The output values of each step can be controlled by CV.

The manual (GitHub - docb/dbRackSequencer) is straightforward.

i will take a look at this thank you!

Hello guys again, world and Ihor =) So all the modules recommended with the switch and spiral are great choises and i will make a dive into them. Right now i am aiming to complete my first track and 4 years i have been playing the semimodular like a guitar, with fingers all the time on the sequencer. So since this way is the closest to heart i will try for the first track the good old way. So i have a Beatstep Pro, I will play the synth from there an 8 step sequence 64 cycles, For each cycle i will make a change or two or no change. When first track is done (lead) I will move on to bassline then kick then snares, then chords. Three things;

1# I would like the beatstep to feed Entrian Player Melody (or other similar module) the MIDI. 2# And i would need to record the sound into something. 3# If i am not happy with a cycle i would like to be able to discard of it on the fly, so both sound and midi of last cycle to be discarded on command, also to stop midi and sound feed and let it cycle if i get lost so many cycles pass without being recorded 3# Is it possible to automatically connect each MIDI hit with the equivalent Sound? So later when i am creating the bassline and have the lead in the backround maybe i Zap some lead hits out to clear some space.

What do you guys think of this? it woould be soo refreshing to hear all the bits and parts of the track simultainiosly for a change. Normally i just imagine a snare. Imagine that!

1 Like

Is it because its polyphonic it can do this? Can i use other polyphonic sequencers as well to achieve this?

I think the point is that in CYC you can control the note for each step by CV (in oppose to turning the knob manually). So, you could use any sequencer that allows for that.

There also is a workaround: The stoermelder plugins, µMAP or CV-MAP will allow you to link parameters of almost any module to a modulation source, as if they had a port for CV input.

Spellbook isn’t for everyone, since it’s sort of an unusual approach to sequencing, but the Index input does give you two different styles of CV control for addressing specific steps, and Spellbook can handle sequences of any arbitrary length, which sets it apart from most sequencers.

As an alternative to clocking/stepping it, the “Index” input can accept either a “Relative” CV control of 0v-10v to move through the sequence proportionally, or an “Absolute” CV control specifying a specific step using an integer voltage.

“I think the point is that in CYC you can control the note for each step by CV (in oppose to turning the knob manually). So, you could use any sequencer that allows for that.” - i am thinking of how that is going to automatically alternate the pitch per cycle?

recarding the CV automation, that was what i thought the record button on the beatstep pro was for when i bought it =)) i will try it. thanks =)

1 Like

Its very usefeul to just enter the pitches and see them. When i enter new steps and pitches it doesnt just play them, it continues to play the old sequence, When i unplug and plug input, then it works that it plays additional steps but not changing the pitch.

“As an alternative to clocking/stepping it, the “Index” input can accept either a “Relative” CV control of 0v-10v to move through the sequence proportionally, or an “Absolute” CV control specifying a specific step using an integer voltage.” - this is to early for me to understand =) But i am very curious on how to experiment with rythm and clocks.

It doesn’t auto update, but there are many ways to do this, you could just send another slower moving sequencer to just the input you want to change and have this sequencer change note once per sequence cycle. You could use random values from a S&H module that triggers a new value once every cycle. For fun the step could have a burst of notes by using a faster moving sequencer on that step. It’s all up to your imagination.

2 Likes

Not sure whether you still remember this older post further up in the thread. You could take a look as a use case.

As @cubistguitar wrote, you can use other modules (such as S&H) as the source of CV.

And you can connect CV to any step you’d like, even to the point of complete randomness of the resulting sequence.

I only have audiable notes on the addr-seq from 12-18 o´clock, is there a way to spread the pitches out so i will use 360 degrees of the encoders? I only have audiable notes on the addr-seq from 12-18 o´clock, is there a way to spread the pitches out so i will use 360 degrees of the encoders?

Change the range , every 1V is one octave so +/- 10V is 20 octaves and +/- 1V is 2 octaves.

1 Like

“you could just send another slower moving sequencer to just the input you want to change and have this sequencer change note once per sequence cycle”. Could you please explain this, what do i send with the second sequencer? Do you mean to send pitches or to send a “reset” signal?

I will try and make a sequencer of combining reftones like this into a sequential switch. Whats good is i can clearly see the pitch in the display and the encoders are stepped which is important for me.

What i am thinking is for next stage i might run in to problems when i want to use VCA to raise or lower the volume of “groups” of steps"

Is there maybe already a sequenccer that display pitches per step like this:

Its working, it is just the switch part, if i want to alternate step 1 between two reftones then how do i do that? I cannot put in to two cables in the same hole for step 1.

There are modules, such as HotTuna by NYSTHI or Chinenual’s NoteMeter, that show the note names. NoteMeter is polyphonic, which can be useful for displaying chord notes.

1 Like

You could use a switch, such as VCV Sequential Switch 4 to 1. It provides up to 4 inputs and 1 output. Set the selector to 2 and trigger the switch with a clock at a lower rate, in your case /6 if you have 6 steps.

Like @Alphagem-O said use a switch

Alright the NoteMeter now opened up for use of the normal sequencers… THANKS =)

Hello, why does clk 1 go to gate on synth, i added and removed it and i didnt notice any change, and why do you have a reset from clock into 8:1? I have an 8 step sequence now and i have a hard time finding the value on clock 2 that activates the switch every cycle, if i use other numbers (preferably odd) i get more switches or less swithces per cycle, but i cant get 1 switch per cycle…

My clock 2 does not switch every 8 on clock ration -8 on -8 all cycles sound the same, if -7 -6 and so on it switches