SapphireFix Challenge (April 2024)

For my entry I opted to use nothing but the Sapphire modules for all audio and modulation, with just a bit of help from a few other modules. I didn’t even use any reverb! (Horrors!)

SapphireFix Challenge Apr. 2024_Sapphires in the Rough.vcv (11.6 KB)

7 Likes

I love it when you turn out-of-the-box-experimental! Great soundtrack for the next “spiders attack” horror movie.

I’m convinced that I can make both melody voices and kick-snare sounds from this…maybe not in the same patch. Anyway, here’s a thing – what I like about it is perhaps a bit of out-of-the-box approaches…using mindmeld mixer solely for v/oct massaging for one. And the CV Playhead in shapemaster, never touched that before. Thanks, @alphagem-o!

6 Likes

This sounds epic! Have to figure out how you did the short but effective pitch dive at around 2:19 of the video.

Ah, thats ch8 of shapemaster acting as an offset of sorts to the v/oct ‘chord’ that goes thru mixmaster channels. Glad you found it somewhat interesting!

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! This was a super fun challenge, so many of these modules are new to me but I’m looking forward to using them again. Originally I wanted to use every module in my arrangement but now I think that would have required a bit more forethought because the mix felt very full after a point and I knew I was close to completing it so I stopped. The limitations of the challenge kept me thinking of unique patching methods and I’m very happy with the the result. Enjoy!

Patchstorage Link

8 Likes

Thank you for pointing me there. Great, deep patch!

Beautiful mix! This piece made me close my eyes and envision a deep dive into an illuminated ocean.

1 Like

SapphireFix Challenge (April 2024)

Well, I’m not a huge fan of a fixed rack, but it’s a challenge again. So why not. I’ve been thinking about it for a while… Should I do it or not? After one attempt I got caught up in it and then I decided to move on. Well here is my contribution. I called the patch “The walking Dead”. I don’t know any other title. But I think it fits.

BTW I learnt a lot with the Fix Rack. Got a completely different view of the rack…

9 Likes

Hi all,

I am pretty new to VCV Rack and the community, so I thought picking up the challenge is a great way to learn…so here’s my sorry attempt to build something for the challenge…

My April Attempt…

Patch can be found here: https://mlaban.home.xs4all.nl/music/VCV/SapphireFix%20Challenge%20Apr%202024%20-%20Didgeree%20Drops%20by%20Marinko%20Laban.vcv

6 Likes

There is no sorry attempt. As long as you have fun and learned something it was a good attempt :). Welcome to the rabbit hole of modular patching, so deep that nobody has found out how to deep it goes thus far, and likely won’t anytime soon!

1 Like

Using the clock to modulate the Feedback and Hi Cut on the VCO - nice :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hello Marinko, welcome to VCV Rack and thank you for participating in the challenge, sounds great! Could you please add your patch file (.vcv) or a link to Patchstorage to your post?

I really enjoyed this, and I appreciate that you vibed with the idea of a didgeridoo. My long-time fascination with that instrument inspired me to to create Tube Unit in the first place. This was a lot of fun to listen to. I hope you keep creating and putting your work out into the world.

That’s the way I like it… aha aha… :smiling_face:

HI @Alphagem-O , you can download the patch from here: https://mlaban.home.xs4all.nl/music/VCV/SapphireFix%20Challenge%20Apr%202024%20-%20Didgeree%20Drops%20by%20Marinko%20Laban.vcv

2 Likes

Thanks for your kind words, @cosinekitty. I really enjoy working with your modules, especially Elastica for percussion…Your manual pointed me in the right direction here, as I was a bit struggling to sort stuff out myself…RTFM applies, as usual :slight_smile:

1 Like

Whales and Dolphins, singing and dancing

An imaginary underwater landscape, where the animals sing and dance joyfully (in their own way).

I started out with the vision of marine sounds against a bassline, and once again getting there turned out to be much harder than anticipated.

YouTube

SoundCloud:

4 voices: Bass, string, and high and low-pitch noises from Elastika and Tube Unit, respectively.

8-step ostinato of a heavy bass with moving timbre from Sine VCO. String from Palette, with modulated timbre.

Sequence from 8Seq with occasional random gate dropouts, and slight root note variation from Slips.

Sapphire Nucleus, Glee and Frolic modulate all kinds of things. Trans- and cross-modulation adds variety. Modulation of the Speed knob of Nucleus makes its signal jump around, sometimes slow, sometimes fast.

ShapeMaster for panning and volume control in the arrangement.

7 Likes

A drone with a tuba lead – fascinating sounds! Like it!

1 Like

Captivating drone with a tom made in Elastika, intense electrical interference and water dripping from the ceiling. Well done!