SapphireFix Challenge (April 2024)

Is anyone interested in another challenge for VCV Rack? The task for April 2024 revolves around modules from the Sapphire collection.

Provided is a fixed rack containing modules selected from the Sapphire plugin. Download the template below, then cut and polish your most magnificent jewels :gem::gem::gem:!

SapphireFix Challenge Apr. 2024_Template_20240403.vcv (9.4 KB)

• you must use all six Sapphire modules in the template; trans- and cross-modulation is encouraged

• fixed rack: do not add modules; if you append scopes or visualizers, please remove before submission; keep the order of the modules for better comparison

• please patch in the provided limiter module to prevent damaging ears and equipment

• find a good balance between tonal and noise/percussive sounds

Tag entries ā€œSapphireFix April 2024ā€ and submit up to 6 patches here by Tuesday, April 30, 2024.

Post patches on Patchstorage, if possible, and/or in this thread.

Post video/audio examples on YouTube/SoundCloud; run time should be between 2 and 6 minutes per patch.

Have fun!

13 Likes

Just for completion, here the list of modules compiled in the fixed rack. Created with the Credit module by ChowDSP. All modules are available for free in the VCV Rack Library.

alef's bits: alef's bits 
    slips
Valley: Valley
    Plateau
VCV: VCV Free
    Merge
    Quantizer
    Random
    Sequential Switch 1 to 4
    Sequential Switch 4 to 1
    Split
    VCA
    VCF
VCV: VCV Core
    Audio 2
Surge XT: Surge XT
    Distortion
    EG x VCA
    Sine VCO
Submarine: Submarine
    TD-202
Sapphire: Sapphire
    Elastika
    Frolic
    Glee
    Nucleus
    Tricorder
    Tube Unit
Hora: Processors Free
    Envelope Follower Free
NYSTHI: NYSTHI
    AttackDecay AD
    mix4
MindMeld: MindMeld
    MixMasterJr
    ShapeMaster
JW-Modules: JW-Modules
    8Seq
Impromptu: Impromptu
    Clkd
Count Modula: Count Modula
    Chances - bernoulli gate
Bogaudio: Bogaudio
    LMTR
    OFFSET
    RGATE
    S&H
Atelier: Atelier
    Palette
Alright Devices: Alright Devices
    Chronoblob2
1 Like

Iā€™m looking forward to see what people do with my modules! :yum:

6 Likes

Jumped in at this first opportunity and had a lot of fun with this one! Full of happy accidents, not all patching has bin deliberateā€¦ Shapemaster came to the rescue when I ran out of oscillators :smile: .

Had to use hyphens between the words for the tag so its ā€œsapphirefix-april-2024ā€.

Thank you for this cool challenge!

11 Likes

An excellent way to start the challenge! Sounds marvelous!

1 Like

Cool! Love the way you used the reverb here, in and outā€¦

1 Like

For my entry I opted to use nothing but the Sapphire modules for all audio and modulation, with just a bit of help from a few other modules. I didnā€™t even use any reverb! (Horrors!)

SapphireFix Challenge Apr. 2024_Sapphires in the Rough.vcv (11.6 KB)

7 Likes

I love it when you turn out-of-the-box-experimental! Great soundtrack for the next ā€œspiders attackā€ horror movie.

Iā€™m convinced that I can make both melody voices and kick-snare sounds from thisā€¦maybe not in the same patch. Anyway, hereā€™s a thing ā€“ what I like about it is perhaps a bit of out-of-the-box approachesā€¦using mindmeld mixer solely for v/oct massaging for one. And the CV Playhead in shapemaster, never touched that before. Thanks, @alphagem-o!

6 Likes

This sounds epic! Have to figure out how you did the short but effective pitch dive at around 2:19 of the video.

Ah, thats ch8 of shapemaster acting as an offset of sorts to the v/oct ā€˜chordā€™ that goes thru mixmaster channels. Glad you found it somewhat interesting!

2 Likes

Hi, everyone! This was a super fun challenge, so many of these modules are new to me but Iā€™m looking forward to using them again. Originally I wanted to use every module in my arrangement but now I think that would have required a bit more forethought because the mix felt very full after a point and I knew I was close to completing it so I stopped. The limitations of the challenge kept me thinking of unique patching methods and Iā€™m very happy with the the result. Enjoy!

Patchstorage Link

8 Likes

Thank you for pointing me there. Great, deep patch!

Beautiful mix! This piece made me close my eyes and envision a deep dive into an illuminated ocean.

1 Like

SapphireFix Challenge (April 2024)

Well, Iā€™m not a huge fan of a fixed rack, but itā€™s a challenge again. So why not. Iā€™ve been thinking about it for a whileā€¦ Should I do it or not? After one attempt I got caught up in it and then I decided to move on. Well here is my contribution. I called the patch ā€œThe walking Deadā€. I donā€™t know any other title. But I think it fits.

BTW I learnt a lot with the Fix Rack. Got a completely different view of the rackā€¦

9 Likes

Hi all,

I am pretty new to VCV Rack and the community, so I thought picking up the challenge is a great way to learnā€¦so hereā€™s my sorry attempt to build something for the challengeā€¦

My April Attemptā€¦

Patch can be found here: https://mlaban.home.xs4all.nl/music/VCV/SapphireFix%20Challenge%20Apr%202024%20-%20Didgeree%20Drops%20by%20Marinko%20Laban.vcv

6 Likes

There is no sorry attempt. As long as you have fun and learned something it was a good attempt :). Welcome to the rabbit hole of modular patching, so deep that nobody has found out how to deep it goes thus far, and likely wonā€™t anytime soon!

1 Like

Using the clock to modulate the Feedback and Hi Cut on the VCO - nice :star_struck:

2 Likes

Hello Marinko, welcome to VCV Rack and thank you for participating in the challenge, sounds great! Could you please add your patch file (.vcv) or a link to Patchstorage to your post?

I really enjoyed this, and I appreciate that you vibed with the idea of a didgeridoo. My long-time fascination with that instrument inspired me to to create Tube Unit in the first place. This was a lot of fun to listen to. I hope you keep creating and putting your work out into the world.