Rick soundz

Short Pop ditty with some old school R&B vibes dedicated to my Dad, who would have been 90 years old this week.

This is also a test drive of the yet-to-be-released Entrian Timeline. I used Squinky Labs Seq++ to program and audition the musical notes and then copied the phrases into Entrian. Entrian is also triggering the final master fade-out of the Mixmaster. I would like to thank Bruce Frazer of @Squinky and @Richie Hindle of Entrian for making some fantastic plug-ins.

4 Likes

Nice, laid back piece for a Sunday morning. Peace to your Dad.

First composition recorded to, mixed and arranged in Reaper. This piece started as a test drive of @modlfo Vult’s new Lapsus rhythm module. It drives all of the instruments except for the sub bass and string pads. Elements is creating the bulk of the percussion with Hora Toms and Shaker. The bells are from Mutable Braids and the marimba from Mutable Plaits. The strings are from Spitfire Audio Labs VST.

For recording, the Mixmaster was used for setting gain levels for recording. The direct outs from the Mixmaster were then sent to Reaper using Rearoute (thanks to @Omri_Cohen for his video). Delay, reverb, EQ and compression were added in Reaper, then automations were added for fading and punching tracks in and out. Finally, the mix was rendered to stereo.

Video was done first in OBS with Plane9 supplying the visualizations. Final video production was done in Shotcut.

5 Likes

Ambient techno composition with an interplay of related and non-related voices swirling around each other – much like the thoughts that go through one’s mind in these challenging times. Thoughts of health, finances, family, groceries (!!), toilet paper (!?). All of these thought play in our heads as they come and go.

Notable technically: I am using 2 instances of the updated Marbles by @Xenakios with the gate length modifications. Additionally, I am using the unreleased polyphonic Saws by @Squinky (thank you, Bruce) for the string pad. The piano sounding voice is a Moon Guitar by Spitfire Audio and I am using the Entrian Timeline (@Richie) for fader and mute automation. Visuals by Plane9; edited with OBS and Shotcut.

4 Likes

Very nice.

Upbeat semi-random groove. Features Marbles, @almostEric Frozen Wasteland’s Seed of Change and The Gardener, and @Bidoo’s dTroy feeding the notes. @Xenakios’ Poly Plaits and Animated Circuits’ Cozmic for the dueling melodies; Palm Loop for the bass line; Vult’s Basal for a counter-melody. Entrian Acoustic Drum for percussion. Plane9 for the animation.

2 Likes

Self generating ambient techno. Using Klirr Factory Clock Multiplier for variable ratcheting (tempo changes) and Frozen Wasteland’s Seeds of Change and The Gardener for sequence variation. Randomizing two drum patterns on Entrian Drummer with the snare being processed through Native Instruments Raum reverb. Using Nysthi Jooper and some other logic modules to automate the muting/unmuting of voices. iZotope Ozone Elements for final mix processing; Plane9 for the visuals. Video captured in OBS and processed with Shotcut.

1 Like

Upbeat electronic groove. Using two Bidoo dTroys with different sequence lengths for some polyrhythm and a recorded sample of the first dTroy playing half-speed reverse and also through Clouds for some atmosphere. Bass is Native Instruments Reaktor Lazerbass; percussion is Entrian Acoustic Drums. Mix output sent to Ozone9 Elements.

1 Like

Some breezy/dreamy Electro-pop featuring the polyphonic Audible Instruments Macro Oscillator 2 (Mutable’s Plaits) in Wavetable mode emulating a Hammond organ with a Surge Rotary. Also processed through Clouds in Spectral Madness mode to achieve the dreamy, space sound. Another Plaits in Waveshaping mode and one in Modal Resonator mode. The arpeggio is by Animated Circuits Itcz using Hampton Harmonics Arp. Entrian Timeline is doing all the sequencing and automations. The final mix is processed through Izotope Ozone Elements 9. All done in VCV Rack.

4 Likes

Ambient follow-up to my last release with a space theme in honor of the SpaceX Dragon launch and docking with the ISS.

Using some new modules and plug-ins for the first time:

• Pad – Spitfire Audio’s London Atmos VST through the Valhalla Supermassive delay/reverb VST.
  • Pizzicato Violins - BBC Symphony Orchestra Discovery VST doubled up with some Karplus-Strong synthesis from the 6+1 Wallenda and Maccomo modules.
  • Wind - Lindenberg Research Noizer.
  • Space Buzz - One-shot sample from Native Instrument’s Komplete Kontrol fed through Audible Instruments Resonator (Mutable’s Rings) and Vult’s Rescomb 2 filter.
  • Rhythms from Valley’s Topograph (Mutable’s Grids) and Sterling Via’s Gridseq
  • Arpeggio - Hampton Harmonics’ ARP through NYSTHI Seven Seas and Squinky Lab’s Stairway filter.

Izotope Ozone 9 supplying the final audio dynamics, EQ and stereo imaging. Visualizations by Plane9 and a stock photo of the Andromeda galaxy. Video captured with OBS and edited with Shotcut.

1 Like

I did a new composition – some World Beat this time to pay some homage to the events going on here in the States and around the world. Just got a new collection of West African instruments and got hooked on the Djembe ensemble rhythm patterns. This particular pattern is derived from a song about a woman who hears music. At first she doesn’t want to dance, but since the music is so good, she can’t stand it any more and starts to dance. The performance is recorded live with the VCV Rack virtual modular synthesizer creating the main note sequence and triggering all of the rhythm variations. Hope you enjoy.

6 Likes

Super nice patches!

1 Like

Poly-rhythmic Ambient piece. First time with the new Spitfire Audio Mandolin instrument and Oxidlab’s Low-pass filter.

1 Like

Synth-wave/Retro Electronic piece. Produced in VCV Rack with lots of help from Native Instruments Battery 4 for percussion, Massive for the lead and Massive X for the pad. Vult’s Bleak and Basal for the sub-bass, Atelier’s Palette for the counter melody and Hampton Harmonic’s ARP and a pair of Bogaudio FM-OPs for the arpeggio. Entrian Timeline is controlling the mix automation.

2 Likes

I’ve been working through an online course in music theory for electronic musicians by Dr. Jason Allen in order to help with some new music ideas. As a result, I came up with this track. Pulled out my complete toolbox for this one. The “band” features Spitfire Audio LABS on electric piano, Native Instruments Electric Sunburst on guitar, NI Reaktor Lazerbass, NI Massive on bells, NI Ethereal Earth on kalimba, Squinky Labs Organ Three, and Permutation through a pair of Squinky Kitchen Sinks all mixed and mastered with Reaper.

6 Likes

Nice. Which online course?

Music Theory for Electronic Musicians by Dr. Jason Allen. There are 5 courses in the series so far – he also has many more in traditional music theory, Ableton, Drum programming, production. He is on Skillshare, Punkademic and Udemy. He also has a FB page with some discount codes - Students of Jay Allen.

1 Like

So, this had it’s roots in VCV over a month ago, but took on a new life when I moved it to Reaper (I so very much wish we will see VCV for DAWs in my lifetime). It’s a smooth jazz thing you may like or you may not.

5 Likes

With all those phrases and transitions, that would have required a herculean effort to create in Rack alone. Nice composition!

1 Like

Yea, it got stalled for a while until I moved it to the DAW which made it a whole lot easier to duplicate the phrases and move them around.