Rick soundz

So here is another Ambient piece dedicated to all those (including my wife) who do battle with the public transit systems of the world to get home after a long day.

This is in a similar vein to my previous piece. I’m using some different Spitfire Audio Labs instruments including one with samples of the London transit system. Bidoo’s dTroy is sequencing the string pad, Valley’s μGraph (Grids) is triggering the percussion and the Music Box. The last stage of dTroy triggers Rampage for the samples.

3 Likes

Companion ambient piece to the one I published a few days ago. The guitar and synth pad are courtesy of Spitfire Audio Labs. The guitar is further smashed by Clouds/Parasite (Southpole Smoke). There is a counter melody voiced by Erica Synths Black Wavetable. The bass is voiced by Lindenberg’s Woldemar. The brassy splash is coming from Repelzen’s Re-Burst, 2 Bogaudio FM-OPs with @Squinky Stairway filter in Asymmetric Fold mode adding some spice.

3 Likes

So, my college buddy, musician and composer BJ Leiderman, was fascinated by what I had been composing with VCV Rack. He asked me to compose some relaxation music for him a la Steve Roach. Well, I’m not Steve Roach, but here is my bedtime music for BJ.

Piano, string pad and music box courtesy of Spitfire Audio Labs. Marbles into Strum’s MentalChord to generate the Major 7th chords for all of the voices.

I have also published a short version video, for those who prefer to watch the little dots and lines. https://youtu.be/-mIYTG3Szzg

1 Like

That’s really beautiful Rick, I really love those jazzy chords :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks, @down_of_hares.

1 Like

I was noodling around with the patch after I published it and found a way to arpeggiate the piano chords using NYSTHI’s Strummer. I thought someone might find the technique useful.

1 Like

I wrote this piece over the holidays before doing my recent Ambient pieces. This tune is much more upbeat. It’s a catchy little number with a slight Latin American tinge (especially in the chorus). Hope you enjoy it.

4 Likes

A cheeky little ditty with some old school sounds. Using the @marcelo.f.dantas Mockba phase distortion oscillator for the chords and their Maug (Moog) dual oscillator for the bass line. A couple of FM-Ops for the upper melody. I threw away the main melody I created, but still used it’s gates for rhythm to drive an arpeggio of the chords which I fed into Braids (Southpole Cornrowsx) in Pluk mode. I treated Braids with a wah-wah effect I found in one of @modlfo Leonardo’s (Vult) videos and played it off against @martinl1968 Martin Leuders’s PG-8X synth VST. Also, a shout out to @Squinky for the Seq++ sequencer.

2 Likes

You are doing good things with our sequencer. Keep it up!

1 Like

Some Ambient/Space music. Main pad being sequenced by Bidoo’s dTroy using Strum’s Chord module into E-Series’ Cloud Generator and Surge Phaser. Bass line is the root of the chord into a pair of Woldemars through Vult’s Ferox filter. I also have a guitar-ish arpeggio of the chords created by Computerscare’s Soly Pequencer into Braids (Southpole Cornrowsx) in Pluk mode then processed by 1) Rings (Southpole Annuli) in inharmonic strings mode and a Vult Lateralus filter, 2) Frozen Wasteland’s Just a Phaser, and lastly, doubled with Padshop Pro’s granular synth VST. Video graphics are Plane9.

1 Like

My latest. Lots of swing in this one. Sending the new @Aria_Salvatrice Darius module through @marcelo.f.dantas Mockba’s phase distortion oscillator with a formant waveform and processing it through @Squinky’ Growler and Shaper. Chords are voiced by E-Series Cloud Generator and doubled by Mutable’s Clouds. The bass chords are voiced by the Mockba Maug oscillator with @modlfo Vult’s Bleak oscillator supplying the sub-bass. Graphics from Plane9.

3 Likes

Nice! how are you doing the chord changes?

1 Like

Thx, Bruce. The Stellare Nomlia is sequencing the root notes to an RJ Modules Playablechord module. I also have the Quantum set up with a C major 7 chord with the Nomlia sending CV to the transpose port. This is quantizing and transposing the notes of the Darius.

1 Like

Some upbeat dreamy music to lighten the mood. First use of the new Mindmeld EQ panel. Geodesics Ions is providing two melody sequences with Stoermelder’s STRIP module occasionally randomizing them. Vult’s Nopskate is supplying the bass notes. Strings and Choir by Spitfire Audio.

2 Likes

Crossing the wild Gobi Desert in Mongolia and China. Had a patch lying around where I was playing with the @Bidoo sequencers. Dug it up after seeing @PaulPiko using the Intelligel Metropolis and getting around to watching a video about the module. Well, I learned what I did not know about this wonderful module and it’s VCV descendants - Bidoo’s dTroy and bordL. Add some wind courtesy of @heapdump Lindenberg’s new Noizer, some Dronez from mscHack and a pad from Spitfire Audio. I borrowed an idea from @Stubs Dieter Stubler for creating random clanks with XFX Wave. Add more percusssion and lots of reverb, delay and EQ from the @steve/@marc_boule Mindmeld EqMaster et voila!

6 Likes

Good one Rick. The bidoo sequencers have some interesting features, and bordL is a cool evolution of dTroy. You got some excellent sounds in that track. I keep meaning to check out Spitfire Audio, must do that one day.

1 Like

Thanks, @PaulPiko.

A lush, slightly dark, Ambient piece. I was inspired by two interviews. One of Eric Whitacre, an American choral music composer, by Christian Henson of Spitfire Audio, where he talks about one of his compositions in the Lydian mode where the voices climb the scale in varying intervals to create consonant and dissonant harmonies. The other interview was with Suzanne Chianni where she talks about creating organic music, that, like the tides, has lots of subtle movement.

So, this piece uses the Lydian mode, which creates its darkness. Random, walking notes are sampled and put into a shift register to create the consonant and dissonant chords and fed to Spitfire Audio’s Chorus and String Ensemble. The bass and high notes feature @marcelo.f.dantas Mockba Modules new Wave Movement oscillators.

3 Likes

Sounds amazing Rick! Edgy, warm in places and unpredictable in others. Great stuff!

1 Like

Thanks, @down_of_hares.

1 Like