Recording a video of a patch for YouTube

How are some ways that Windows users typically record their patch demonstration videos?

I’ve not done so, but I believe the new stock Recorder module also records video. So maybe start there.

This question has been discussed previously on the forum. Please see this post: Good simple video editor recommendation

1 Like

I’m interested in this too, but the thread talks only about editors, not recorders.

I use OBS. The plan is to move to the inbuilt recorder but I just haven’t got to it yet.

2 Likes

OBS here too, the inbuilt recorder is nice, but i need the video from my webcam too :slight_smile:

It’s tempting to want to record all your elements separetly to give you more options when you edit but I think it might be too much hassle

1 Like

Agreed, that’s why with OBS i record both screen and webcam, then i only need to paste the audio in my video editor (which is Shotcut, a very nice free program)

1 Like

I work in Windows 10 and have been using Windows built-in game bar recorder. Also tried OBS. Both have a lot of problems with crackling and noise on my computer. They both record that noise so that I had to use a Nysthi recorder to record the audio and then merge the recorded video and audio in Reaper.
Now with VCV Rack 1.0 there is a better option for me. The inbuilt recorder can record both the video and audio. On large patches you hear and see interference while recording but the recording is great.
As pointed out by others, it will not also record a camera at the same time.

1 Like

obs is the standard solution for video livestreaming and recording on windows.

but i guess more people will start using the vcv recorder.

2 Likes

+1
OBS for everyone!
https://obsproject.com
(vlc is great too but is not a obvious feature and it don’t have jack support if you are on linux )

1 Like

Ok I give… where the hell is this inbuilt video recorder info? I have no issues installing Jack if needed although it rarely seems to do what I want.

It’s just a plugin. It’s an official, non-commercial VCVplugin. I went looking for a manual but there isn’t one. It works like the Nysthi recorders.
edit to say that it’s not in the fundamental or core packages, you have to get it from the plugin manager.

1 Like

I had a had time finding it originally as well. Go to the plugin manager and search for ‘recorder’.

1 Like

After going through all of it… OBS is perfect and does everything you need without the slowdown and popping encountered in the native ‘record’ module. I’m sure it will get there soon however. I also found it nice to make a direct to mp4 output. Now if my first recording was half way good… lulz.

1 Like

you can do that on OBS :slight_smile: i always do, it’s so handy not to have to do any conversions later ^^

1 Like