Rack v1 development blog

I’m having problems with

void onHoverKey(const event::HoverKey &e) override

in my module SQ2

I use a lot the numeric keypad to entering data

but something is changed and I get a lot of REPEATED call to the onHoverKey in the module widget

in version 0.6, if I press a key, I receive and consume just one key event (till the key is down)

in version 1.0, if I press a key and consume it, I receive immediately another onHoverKey call (forever)

This is normal. Check the action field to get the type of key event.

1 Like

testing for the GLFW_PRESS case . Thank you!
Anyway, I think the autorepeat was/is not respecting my system settings (mac OSX), because the first repeat is immediate

You are likely receiving the RACK_HELD event, which is called every frame when a key is held.

1 Like

I managed to build v1 on Debian Stretch following these steps:

git clone https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack.git
cd Rack
git checkout v1
git submodule update --init --recursive
make dep
make

Quick question any JACK support?

I’ve actually recently disabled JACK support in RtAudio on Linux, because the users find SkJack to be a better way to send audio/CV through JACK.

1 Like

I use skjack with version 0.6.2

How does it work with v1?

It’s not migrated to the v1 API, since the v1 API isn’t stable yet.

I hope these are not redundant questions.

when v1 is ready will 0.6.2 have an end of life or will it continue? is it possible to set another folder for v1 other than ~/.Rack to be able to run both versions without conflicts?

1 Like

Asked the same a few days ago, but there was no answer!
Think we have to save 0.62c on a secure location for us self…
Another question for me is if we stay at 0.62c for some time, is it still possible to buy the 062c payed modules?
The reason for staying at the 0.62c for me is that it needs time to update all the plugins from all developers and you could believe it or not but I am recording music and Sounds from VCV Rack, so missing modules are not nice sometimes!

yes, that is already possible by adding switches on the commandline when calling the installer

someone will surely make a video on how to do that when we get closer to the release date

1 Like

SkJack doesn’t work here, I’m running an older version of Jack, so that kind of leaves me un-Jacked. Can that support be easily added back to RtAudio by a builder ?

You can set -DRTAUDIO_API_JACK to ON in dep/Makefile under the respective ARCH block.

1 Like

Thanks, Andrew, I hoped that would still work. V1 looking better every day now ! :slight_smile:

Maybe add an LFO somewhere in there… just for modulation.

PondRacer

what would that switch be to get v1 to use another folder?

EDIT: found it

./Rack -u ~/.Rackv1

setting -DRTAUDIO_API_JACK to ON in dep/Makefile worked like a charm. Thanks!

I’ve made a new branch called v1-gpl which is where I’ll be working until the non-commercial plugin license exception and commercial plugin licensing texts are finalized. Don’t use this branch for compiling plugins whose licenses aren’t GPLv3-compatible.

I’ve added a new flag -p which takes screenshots of all modules and dumps them to <Rack user dir>/screenshots/<plugin>/<module>.png. It’s quite fast, taking about 100ms per module. The zoom level is hard-coded to 200%, but you can change it in the source. Here’s 400% for example.

This will allow screenshots to be automatically generated for the future Plugin Manager.

15 Likes

make run -p ??