Question about generating longer gates

I know that this has been asked earlier, but I haven’t found a solution for my problem.

I would like to generate longer (not random length!) gates, across several steps, so that everything is tied to some base tempo - clock signal, LFO with square wave or whatever.

Using Countdown and Gate modifier from Count Modula almost gives me the answer - only thing that is missing is the ability to specify count value in Countdown, the number of steps that is counted.

Any recommendations?

Maybe use the pulse-width of clocked ?

3 Likes

My first thought would be to use a 1-shot gate sequencer with each channel using a different step length, and those are then sent to a switch to control which gate length you want to use with cv. The gate sequencer is clocked with your main clock source, so whatever gate length you choose from the switch will always be synced.

2 Likes

Elsker or RAEL and you can set the length you want (or you can use a clock and the length field becomes a multiplier/divider of the clock (nysthi)

3 Likes

Thank you, all options are interesting.

1 Like

Do you want random or programmed? (in terms of the order of short/long gates, not gate length)

If programmed, you can draw in whatever gate pattern you want in ShapeMaster.

It’s not terribly modular of me, but Encore from BiDoo will make any length gate from 1/32nd up to its 64 step pattern length. For making a more “human” part I will often use this one to nudge parts off the clock slightly with the “trim” feature, lets you be early or late in smallish increments. Plus you get 2 more channels of cv, it’s pretty awesome.

I don’t quite understand that. The plus minus buttons set the starting number to count down from. Or do you want to be able to set them via a CV input?

There’s also COUNTDOWN 5 for bigger numbers.

And there’s Voltage Controlled Pulse Divider:

@Yeager - this is a good one

@steve - yup, Shapemaster is one option

@john_rose - through CV

Basically what I want is a module where I can create gate from trigger A to trigger B, or one that crates gate from x sequential triggers. I’m a software engineer so I’m tempted to tip my toe in the rack module development and create the one I’m looking for

Use a Flip flop?

2 Likes

Doesn’t Flip flop just switch the signal from out A to out B?

I’m looking something that opens the’ gate from the first trigger to input A and then closes it when it receives second trigger to input B

That’s a switch.

Feed your triggers into TRIG, get your gate out of A. If you need more than five volts, scale it with an attenuverter.

3 Likes

… interesting…

This could be a keeper :joy:

flip_flop

If your triggers come from different sources, use an OR before TRIG in or if using VCV 2.5.1 just stack the input cables.

1 Like

If your triggers for starting and ending come from different sources, use a “S/R Flip-flop”, (Set / Reset). The Bogaudio FLIPFLOP is one of them.

D- and T-type FFs have different behaviours. See Flip-flop (electronics) - Wikipedia

Uh - where do you get VCV 2.5.1? I can only find VCV Rack Free 2.4.1.

1 Like
3 Likes

On second reading I get a second interpretation of what you are looking for, and maybe this will get you started.

If you plug, say, CV1 into the TEMPO input jack, then you can program in different delays between the steps. Both TRIG and CLK outputs give pulses on each step transition.

If the second and third rows of knobs are all the same, then CV2 and CV3 won’t appear to change, but you can always use CLK or TRIG and maybe a gate modifier to interrupt the outputs of CV2 and CV3. Or set some to zero for spaces between gates. Or don’t, and let multiple steps run uninterrupted for fewer but much longer gates.

It would still work if you have to use a different sequencer and an external clock source. ADDR-SEQ and a stack of ASX would give lots of different steps

1 Like

The limitation with elsker and rael is that if I use 1, or larger, in duration field, I basically create gate that is always on. Or is there a way around this?

‘Problem’ with the one is that after the gates has been on, there is equal gate off period because (?) Seq 3 doesn’t provide option to adjust the pule width, of course we can use sequencer that supports it

You can make the pulse width of the out follow incoming clock pulse width in the right click menu.