Question about generating longer gates

@john_rose I really like this approach. Although I can’t test it now (not at Rack at the moment), if you run the CV first through a quantiser with only the note C on and then into tempo, it should quantise it to whole volts (-1,0,1,2, etc) creating whole notes, half notes, quarters, eighths,etc.

If you run it through a just intonation quantiser, with C, F and G, you should get dotted notes and triplets as well.

I could of course be talking rubbish, so don’t take my word for it. I’ll test it as soon as I can.

:thinking: At first I couldn’t see why using note values (quantized or not) would be useful for modifying the tempo. Then I finally figured out that each additional volt applied to the BPM input doubles the tempo. Essentially it’s an octave higher, but you don’t conventionally think of tempo as “notes”.

I can see now how QNT, OCT, and a transposer could make for some interesting polyrhythms between multiple clocks or sequencers. CLKD’s tempo has a range of about 3.3 octave, but SEQ-3 goes to 20 octaves (unless I made a fencepost error there). I’ll have to keep this in mind for the future.

1 Like

This may be drifting even further from the original point of this thread, but I finally recalled the name of “Seriously Slow LFO” by Frozen Wasteland.

By using the RESET input to restart the square wave it would effectively trigger the start of a gate. I don’t see any way to make it pause on a 0V output though.

Not long enough? Try this one:

I wonder how they beta-tested the last six time bases.

Finally, there’s the “Seriously Slow EG”.

Use a short attack and plug the ENV into a comparator to square it up.