Prototype for the new MI Plaits in VCV Rack

Unfortunately I don’t have access to a Mac and I still need to figure out how the build pipelines in github work. I fear you need to wait until Dan or somebody else jumps in with a new Mac version.

Yes, it is possible. The simplest is to get the ParamQuantity for the knob and set it’s name.

To get it, module has a getParamQuantity(int id), and every paramWidget descendant has a getParamQuantity();

It is possible that other modules that automate knobs might assume a parameter name is constant and not function properly when it changes. Hopefully they get the name dynamically as needed and refer to them by id or by caching a pointer to the object,

The Rack API almost never documents a contract for a given member and these are all mutable class members (const is not common to see), so it’s a bit of a free-for-all “whatever works”.

You can also subclass the paramQuantity and override the necessary methods for producing the tooltip display text. This is the safer, but more complex route to implement and get wired up.

You can also subclass the knob or create your own UI widget and handle tooltips yourself (it’s a lot of boilerplate, but not difficult). Of course, when you depart from the basic framework and do something custom, it may break the assumptions made by other modules that do fancy cross-module stuff.

1 Like

No worries! This was a good opportunity for me to learn how to compile VCV plugins. :slight_smile: The Mac x64 build for anyone else who wants to test: Dropbox - AudibleInstrumentsT-2.0.0-mac-x64.vcvplugin.zip - Simplify your life

5 Likes

Thanks @auxmux!

2 Likes

Green 4 & 5 (Granular Formant & Harmonic) are fairly stable models for adjusting the root note.

There is a difference in the root note though - 12 O’clock is C3 on the hardware; on your implementation it is F3 (which is far left on the hardware).

This is very exciting. Thank you.

1 Like

Your GitHub has the same license as the originals. Do you really have permission to reuse the panel graphics?

The author of the plugins is VCV => contact VCV - Support

Tobi, thanks for working on these updates, is the Windows 2nd release available as a vcv plugin yet? Would love to try the newer modes. The new ones are working fine especially like the wave terrain synthesis. Much appreciated.

Hi ady34, yes the Windows build is available here:

If you want to use the editor keep in mind to use this version:

(there is no release needed because it is only a directory with HTML+Javascript, you can just download it into a local directory and open the HTML files)

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :slight_smile: I will have a look into this possibility.

Thanks for testing, that’s exactly the feedback I was looking for. I need to check why it behaves different.

Hi Squinky, no I simply cloned the repository without adapting any licenses etc. I don’t want to distribute this on my own, I prefer to have it merged into the official version. If that’s not possible I would need to look into creating a different version with custom graphics, but I really don’t want to do this. The original graphics simply look great.

I got in touch with the VCV support already but didn’t receive more information yet. Let’s see how they react. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Just a short update. I didn’t receive any feedback yet from the VCV officials. I also don’t find the time currently to improve the remaining imperfections but I think the current version is fine enough to check the new functionality out and play around with it (or even adapt the code yourself :slight_smile: ).

As I said, I don’t want to maintain this by myself and therefore I would like to wait until I get some official feedback and then decide how to proceed with this. Instead I hope to finally find the time to work on my own modules and provide some beta versions. (Partly deterministic fractal sequencer - #12 by Tobi)

10 Likes

Thanks for taking it this far, I’ve already got some satisfying recordings out of it that I’ve been listening to in the evenings. I think you’ve taken it quite far enough to be usable and for other people to advance, you should focus on work that brings you enjoyment!

1 Like

+1 For hoping it gets added to the Official plugin . Thanks for doing the work have enjoyed the new models !

3 Likes

Maybe work with @baconpaul to get your adaptation of “Plaits firmware 1.2” into Surge XT Twist ?

6 Likes
3 Likes

Sounds like a pretty good idea, I wasn’t aware that this topic was already raised as an issue on surgerack. I need to check first how easy it is to merge these changes into the surge solution.

My last feedback from VCV was that they still need some time, probably busy with other topics. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you read the issue you’ll see the primary problem is we don’t want all those modes in surge vst and surge rack is exactly surge vst.

So it is probably not a route for your full suite

That said we might adopt and port in some more of the models for surge 1.3 and if we do surge rack 2.2 will get them. But it might slip out of the milestone

Sorry I should have added that context but given that if you are still interested we are an open contribution devs welcome project!

1 Like