Pics Of Your Studio

Yes, but some of the kit I ordered hasn’t arrived yet so I don’t have a 3.5mm to 1/4" jack to hand to listen to what it outputs. I will eventually situate it and a Model D in there. Gonna need some longer cables though, I thought I’d get away with the ones I got with my MS-20, but they’re far too short.

1 Like

Don may be turning in his grave but I’m a happy bleeper :slight_smile: Just arrived!

8 Likes

Nice! - mine coming tomorrow!

Looks like you have some other good kit there too!

1 Like

I don’t actually think he would Nik, he was surprisingly agnostic, much more than his "disciples’ :slight_smile: Looking forward to hearing how you like the sound of that oscillator, perhaps with comparison to something we know. Congrats and have fun with it! I love that we can get these at affordable prices now, well done TipTop (and Buchla).

Oh, I see that you have the SIG as well, lucky bastard! First thing going in if I were starting a new rack today.

Let us know how you like it, if you can shake off the inevitable Stockholm Syndrome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Proper

1 Like

There’s been a little to and fro with accusations of ‘gatekeeping’ on modwiggler :slight_smile:

The SIG completely changed my use of my rack in an instant. It is an amazing and inspiring device (and its creator is an amazing and inspiring human being too).

As for the 258t & 281t - they instantly make that Buchla sound the moment you start patching them! I will be lost for days playing with them. I predict you will be seeing a flood of videos on YT now that they are arriving in people’s racks.

1 Like

I’d be interested in hearing whether the VCO is anything compared to modern complex VCO’s like the CS-L (which we also have in Rack) or the DPO, or if it has something very unique in the character of its sound or modulation capabilites. Probably best in a seperate Lounge thread…

These Buchla/TT modules, being clones of the 200 series, are pretty basic functionality wise compared to modern equivalents - for example on the quad function generator you need to use one envelope to modulate another if you want to get an envelope with a log/exp shape - whereas most modern function generators will simply have a shape knob. It’s pretty much the same with the VCO - it’s kinda basic - certainly in comparison to the likes of this beast that I have my eye on…

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s more basic, but I’m interested in what the sound is like, does it have a special magic?

Sounds like magic bongos :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, it is a beautiful ‘clean’ sound, yet still very warm when you hit the waveshapers with envelopes. The 258t is not a complex oscillator per se (but you know that), and cannot make the timbres that the CS-L does, or my Brenso. But it can be cross modulated to get very clean or very complex FM, which sounds great. I find it more inviting and instantly gratifying to patch than the Brenso, where I get lost for hours on end seeking out usable sounds.

As Steve says the slopes in the 281t are linear, but that does not detract from the fun of self patching them. It chucks out a full 8v which is enough to fully open my Optomix (5v envelopes don’t cut it). If you have exponential VCAs they will compensate for the linearity.

They are basic modules but they have that sound as soon as you start self and cross patching. A whole case of them will be a thing of limitless potential and joy (for me). I can’t describe it really, but it feels like the reason I got into modular in the first place. I’ll calm down but for now I couldn’t be happier with them :smiley:

1 Like

This is the way. And if the prices on the following modules are similar to these first two, it’s kinda doable. Never thought a pure Buchla rack was in the realms of possibility unti now.

2 Likes

Proper!

Slight rethink on my eurorack, went System 100 clone instead of resiting my Model D. Not regretting it, it sounds really good.

6 Likes

Looking great!

1 Like

Painfully inevitable, it’s still growing…

…I’ve had a couple of months of mostly unstructured modular jams and want to try and get into some kind of songwriting workflow. Thinking maybe using the Digitakt to sample chunks of modular output which I can then fashion into something less sprawling than these kinds of things https://soundcloud.com/main_tenant/snakeless https://soundcloud.com/main_tenant/latest-racket

4 Likes

I see, another Elektron-Collector :stuck_out_tongue:

My basement hideaway. E-drums and VCV are a bottomless well!

7 Likes

Your studio is not full until there is no room for you! There is barely room for me in my studio, so mine is also not full yet :wink:

Aye, not a particularly cheap hobby. :slight_smile:

I may have to sell the Analog Four though, it’s kind of superfluous with the modular. And I can spend that money on… more modules. Damn, this eurocrack is moreish.