Perform mode

hello everybody !

I just discover an amazing software for graphics performances call TouchDesigner (thanks LarsBjerregaard for the https://community.vcvrack.com/t/deadmau5-playing-with-rack-and-touchdesigner/645)

As i play arround with this software, i discover a perform mode wich is describe here around 4min40

So i was thinking that maybe it can be a good implementation in vcv such a things like that.

To explain deeper my thought, this perform mode could work like this :

• a vcv option/button can launch the mode.
  • a windows appears, wich is diffferents from the current windows (in the new windows, there will be no cables or modules)
  • a set of knobs, slides, buttons can drive specifics parameters of the current patch.
  • this sets of knobs is chose by the user in the patch (i don’t know, maybe a bit like the Umap from stoermelders module)

One advantage with this feature is that you cannot change accidently a parameter from the patch, and be more focus on the songs.

And to dream a bit more, if after this, it could be possible to make it independant from the vcv sofware (i mean if it can be launch like a little sofware making sounds) it could be awesome !

Anothers way to see it is to compare with the Nord Modular in wich one you make your patch and then launch it in the keyboard.

Well i hope you will understand this big post with my very poor english.

I hope to that it is in the good section, and maybe i should post a request on Github, but i was not sure and i wanted to share this idea (or maybe there is already a discussion about this, but i could’nt find it)

Have a good week end

gael

1 Like

There’s no reason a module can’t do this. Just zoom into the module to control your patch. The simplicity of Rack comes from the lack of “appendage” features like what you’re describing.

There is ctrl / cmd + z for undo and ctrl / cmd + shift + z for redo if you accidentally change a parameter.

i like to perform using my graphics tablet, midi keyboard, and android tablet via touchosc, and in my experience, making one section of the patch the control zone works well enough. We have a lot of devices for that! Impromptu TACT, RJModules buttons, Stoermelder CV-MAP, Vult Knobs… Also working myself on another module to help out with my own needs for live performance.

Rack space is infinite, so there’s no significant drawback to separating the control section from the sound producing section.

2 Likes

ok, i’m really not use to this numeric world with this infinite space … that’s really a great and simple solution … amazing !

i try what you suggest and yes it’s really close to what i was expecting !

And the stand alone version, does it make sense or it’s really not possible ?

An another example could be llike this graphic example, where there is a program in the background and with the mouse just few parameter are changing.

i’m completely naive with all of this world, so i really don’t know if it make sens or not !

well thanks a lot for the answer, it’s really usefull and simple !

It seems possible to do but could be tricky. You would pass the control messages between a Rack module and the stand alone application with some interprocess communication mechanism. But I don’t really see the point of the stand alone application, if the purpose would be to only control Rack, unless you are super worried about the possibility of accidentally doing some wrong user interaction inside Rack. The proposed solution of having a Rack module that you zoom into to make it fill the screen as much as possible seems a lot easier to do.

I think there are plans for a headless mode for VCV Rack 2.x where in essence you can launch a patch without the rest of VCV Rack started graphically.

So what you basically could do, is have like 2 or 3 patches that you want to “perform” live, and start them without need for a screen. For those patches you can build 1,2 or 3 controller layouts for lets say OSC on a tablet, or through midi and mapping for use with some hardware midi controller.

And the rest speaks for itself.

This could be an alternative way of doing things.

1 Like

ok thanks for the information, i was thinking to something like the headless mode you describe here. Cool to know !

And, yes with midi controller i’m doing what you describe, but for me it"s not really the same, i like the idea that when i finish a patch, i decide that this and that parameters can change, not the others.

As it’s possible for now, i always come back time to time to the patch where i change little things … so this headless mode could help me a lot … and yes i try to be more strict with me and not changing the patch, but it’s a bit hard some time.

An another idea behind this standalone mode is to share modular music in a different way than a mp3. Having a standalone patch where it is just possible to change specifics parameters is an another way to share music, and especially when it is modular.

In the link i share, it is not a image, it is not a “fix” animation, and it is not a big patch. It is between the three, you can modify just few parameters that decide the artist. I like the idea to do the same with music.

An another way to see it is to share my works without having to install vcv on every computer (even if it is a very good idea for the peace in the world).

In addition to this, with this software (toucheDesigner), i make visual patch with my musical patch, so in the futur, if it could be possible to have like a “standalone version” with music and graphic, where you can modify music and graphic, for me it could be amazing !

A this point it is more reflexion and thought than really a need for me, but i like the idea to find others ways to share music.

well i hope my english is not to hard to read

have a good day

gael

ok, i just see a post on the futur headless mode.

here the link for those who don’t see it

maybe worth having a look at in this context is maybe the sonaremin, of which i have just finished building a new version: The sonaremin v1.1.6 is out - vcvrack in a box

best wishes - hexdump

It’s now in the library, maybe it will be useful to someone looking at this thread!

It would be useful if there’s a “split screen” function, or at least a section of the screen that can be locked. So you can have the controls you need for a live performance stay in a certain section of your screen, or in a separate screen, while you can browse to other sections when needed without losing acces to the controls.

2 Likes

https://vcvrack.com/manual/Issues#bugs-and-features