Peaks clone ?

I’ve added nightly builds to the fork if anyone wants to try it out: Releases · hemmer/AudibleInstruments · GitHub

Couple of improvements:

• dynamic tooltips to display what each knob is doing according to the manual (VCV is arguably easier to understand than hardware version now!)
  • hints about entering easter egg mode/expert mode
  • only polling for knob changes every N samples (leads to up to /2 CPU!)
  • more updates to use v2 API

FYI, I only learnt recently but you can do getParamQuantity(KNOB_1_PARAM)->description = "blah"; to set useful tooltips for the user

4 Likes

YES FINALLY PEAKS FOR RACK! Thanks a ton mate. Downloading this right now :slight_smile:

P:S: have you considered adding control inputs? The original Mutable version didn’t but almost every modern Peaks re-issue does.

Not going to respond to a two year post directly, but I’d say one reason you may want a particular multi-function module in VCV Rack is because you’re trying out a patch that you want to move onto modular hardware at some point. It’s nice, maybe a luxury it could be argued, to be able to replicate things between software and hardware as close as possible to 1:1

I wouldn’t think that putting out a loss leader “try before you buy” module would be very attractive to anyone other than the hardware maker who will eventually make money from it. But if there are skilled programmers out there who want to do this, that’s cool.

I think the best thing for the Audible Instruments ports is to retain the original behaviour. Worst case you can use umap from Stoermelder to modulate the pots. There are also ports of various non-official MI modules (e.g. clouds with parasites) so maybe a fork with extra CV would be possible later.

1 Like

@hemmer

Could you maybe have a look here ?

1 Like

Now hopefully fixed, will add to the eventual PR.

1 Like

I just asked you to have a look,… not to fix it… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Very nice, but adding Peaks to a patch from browser tends to crash the VCV VST (Bitwig) and DAW (Ableton) on Windows.

Do you have any built versions you could put on Github? My new PC is giving me hell with setting up a build environment…

It’s there:

Release Development Build · hemmer/AudibleInstruments · GitHub

1 Like

Thanks!

Hmm, seems to crash Rack whenever I load Peaks in, must need some more time to be developed.

Interesting, I’ll need to try on a Windows VM (Mac here). Anything in the crash logs?

Mine crashed as soon as I put the Peaks module into a blank template. MacOS Monterey 12.3.1

Which bit of the crash log do you need? or should I post the whole thing?

I’ve only tested briefly on Windows 11, Rack 2.1.0 - both VST and free standalone.

I’m guessing the plugin is compiled with the latest SDK - and you need at least Rack 2.1.0 for it to work.

ok that makes sense - I’m using 2.0.6

Crashed Rack 2.10 VST for me in Bitwig and killed Ableton.

1 Like

crashes here too, Win 11 VCV 2.10,

Thanks all - ok clearly something weird going on. I’ll take a look when I get some time. In the meantime, any input from devs who can build/ debug a little welcome. :slight_smile: