OSC (OpenSoundControl) modules in v2?

Many thanks to all the developers for making so many great modules. Wondering if I could ask everyone, and specifically @TheModularMind (Osc’elot) and @j4s0n.c4s3y (trowaSoft cvOSCcv) a question about modules meant for communication over OSC. In v1 I used cvOSCcv a lot for passing messages between Rack and visual development environments like TouchDesigner. It has proven a great prototyping tool for triggering sound/image together. However, since it’s uncertain whether trowaSoft will be updated for v2 (any definite news on that?) I found the Osc’elot module. Looks cool, but seems like it lacks the flexibility that I want when communicating btw programs – most importantly the use of arbitrary channel names and ranges of values.

I see the discussions that @TheModularMind has had regarding TouchOSC and OpenStageControl, but that all feels locked into the concept of a mixing console. Probably bc it was modeled after stoermelder’s MIDI-CAT, I understand.

Any thoughts on a more open-ended solution for two-way OSC communication in Rack 2? Similar to the cvOSCcv module?

The thought occurred to me to look into using a Max4Live device in Ableton Live, connected to Rack VST plugin, but even if that worked well it’s too exclusive a solution to work for most users.

Thanks

1 Like

Hey @bcarrington, great to see more OSC fans, I’m willing to enhance/add features if feasible etc.

Can you elaborate a bit more on what you are trying to do with OSC’elot that you can’t now, you want the ability to change the addresses? Would it be possible to modify the other end? Can you describe your ‘setup’

Thanks

I recall asking about 3 years ago in the FB group for native support for OSC in Rack :slight_smile:

At the time I was controlling VST parameters from VCV directly via OSC with a now defunct Max4Live device called OSCular. Jason at Trowasoft was very helpful in getting it working. It was more an experiment than anything else.

Thanks for the response. My setup usually consists of channels of data being generated by a system in TouchDesigner, to which I give meaningful names. It is impossible to parse it in the way required for Osc’elot, i.e. “/fader(int id,float value)”. Instead it is just “myChannelName floatValue”. This data is sent by TouchDesigner’s OscOut operator with proper port number assigned, then in Rack v1 using trowaSoft’s cvOCScv module I manually name any of the available input slots with the name of my channel (which is now “/myChannelName”). There was also an advanced setting in the module to do a range operation… i.e. float values coming in are 0-1 but I want to output CV in the range of -5 to 5.

Good point, yeah I would think something like that should be standard by now, but I’m definitely a different type of user – more of a multimedia artist than strictly musician. I would def support any new requests for VCV to make a stable OSC module themselves

1 Like

Thanks for checking that, cool!

Ableton has released a connection kit now, including OSC send and receive - I haven’t played with it yet.

1 Like

All existing and unreleased trowaSoft modules will be updated to v2 as soon as possible. Thanks for your interest and patience.

10 Likes

I see, since Trowasoft is being updated you can wait and continue to use that.

If you wanted to use OSC’elot, it is not ‘impossible’, since you are using a versatile software like TouchDesigner, all you need are a few changes, since OSC is super flexible.

• Change your address to /myChannelName/fader

• Add to the osc values you send out: You need to add an Integer argument here to represent your channel ID, can be anything as long as two channels don’t share the same ID. This should be just as easy if not easier to setup as your float value/channelName

• For CV out, you can use the OSC’elot expander and in the right click menu set the desired range

• Optional Step: Give custom labels in OSC’elot

Love your work!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I appreciate your response w those options, thanks. Will check it out along w the Max4Live options while waiting patiently for the trowaSoft update

No problem, also all OSC messages are an address followed by a list of arguments. An OSC bundle is a list of OSC messages.

To make it easy to use with VCV I used the controller paradigm. For your kind of use case, essentially fader is float, encoder is delta integers and button is binary integer. Maybe I’ll rename it in a future release to make it easier.

Thank you for your work, using the modules to connect VCV and processing for creating visuals. Looking forward to using VCV 2 with the OSC modules.

1 Like

There’s an alpha release of trowaSoft-VCV v2 available

3 Likes

I found this little gem today:

An arduino sketch to read/write OSC to/from an arduino board via USB serial and an OSC network to serial bridge in node.js

I got it working on Windows 11 + Raspberry Pi Pico on USB.

My plan is to read 4 potentiometers (2 analog joysticks) - and some rotary encoders. OSC to VCV Rack.

Using my own build from the source code for v2. Works pretty well. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

still hoping for someone to add a multi-adress feature to inputs. I got 4 CVs and 20 targets for each. its impossibru.