Omri Cohen: Tutorial Videos

Thanks again (or should I say better Merci beaucoup :)), Marc! I really like and use frequently several of your nice modules (BTW, my best friend is Clocked ;)). Honestly, I still have some problems with “extended functionality” of e.g. your Phrase Seq’s (mainly with that notorious “song mode”), but now at least I understood main usage methods employed by theirs young & mighty brother (or sister - I dunno ;))…

1 Like

I hope you will enjoy it :slight_smile:

Hey, thanks! I think that the beauty of the Impromptu modules is the fact that they are very deep, but also very intuitive. It’s true, there is a learning curve, butit’s a fun one :slight_smile:
About the videos, I enjoy working on them, learning new modules or old tricks, and on top of it all I get to know interesting people :slight_smile: Cheers!

3 Likes

I have to admit, I’m quite surprised by the result in this one. Today we begin with the last set of models, the noise models, and this video was about the Tuned Noise model. I’ve created some percussive elements with the help of the new trigger sequencer from Count Modula, and with the help of a few ADDR sequencers, added some movement to the sounds.

4 Likes

One of the biggest features that were introduced in VCV Rack 1.0 is the Polyphonic Cables feature, that allows us to send up to 16 different signals through only one cable and create polyphony, among other things.

In this video, I show a few ways of how to use Polyphonic Cables starting with a short introduction, then with using a Midi keyboard and creating your own arpeggiators, and then I showcase a few more ways of using Polyphonic cables and the different polyphonic modules.
6 Likes

For many people who are coming to VCV Rack from a DAW environment, creating and using scenes is a big part of their compositional process, and in this video, we will create scenes with the help of Jooper from nysthi, and look at how we can trigger the different scenes manually with the computer keyboard or with an external controller, and also how to automate the change between the scenes in synchronization with our clock.

7 Likes

One would think that the new Midi mapping feature in VCV Rack 1.0 will start and end with using an external controller and mapping it to different parameters in VCV Rack, but oh boy, this is just the beginning. Midi mapping opens a whole new world of modulation and patching that was not available before. Yes, sure, you can now map your controller to almost anything in VCV, even if it has no CV input, but you can also modulate almost anything with other modules as well, even if what you want to modulate has no CV input, and you can also record and create automation and unique modulations, and again, assign them to almost anything in VCV. So in this video, I start with mapping an external controller, and then I use the Stoermelder modules that allow us to use Midi mapping to map other modules as well.

7 Likes

I only really grasped today that you ddidn’t actualyl need midi to use cv-map. I don’t know whther it’s a game changer but it definately opens some interesting possibilities.

1 Like

Well, it introduces a whole new way of modulating so yes, there are some interesting new things to explore now…

Yes, CV-MAP is great. It doesn’t use midi, it’s just based on the code of MIDI-MAP. The micro version is cool too. I used it to give the ADDR-SEQ a random mode by modulating the step knob. And had it randomly switching the direction knob too. And tweak the dry/wet knob of StereoPhaser2

Yes, there is no Midi involved in the modules. They share a fair amount of code with VCV MIDI-MAP, but everything Midi related has been removed.

2 Likes

The annoying thing is that I can already modulate most of the knobs i want to adjust but the one knob that I want to sweep, the scope knob on Lindenberg Alma, is stil beyond my reach.

edit: weird I thought i’d posted this message hours ago.

Like this?

alma-map

:nauseated_face:
Couldn’t find a"jealousy" emote so i went with “nauseated” but you should read it as “green with envy”.
But, yes, that is what i meant.

Doesn’t that work for you?

It would work but Alma isn’t available yet. I don’t compile my own stuff so It’s a waiting game at the moment.

Oh, sorry, now I get it. Patrick put up a link to the beta version (on Facebook?).

The final v1.0.0 version is here (if you’re on mac/windows)

thanks, I think I’ll just wait until it’s in the plugin manager

Hi Omri,

Just a suggestion, to try to avoid any confusion for those new to the modules. It might be good to be clear that the stoermelder modules are not midi, even though there are similarities with the VCV MIDI-MAP module. E.g. at 14:28, 15:43… it’s not midi mapping but CV mapping, there’s no midi involved. Maybe you could put a note on your video?

Sorry if I sound negative or picky.

1 Like