Omri Cohen: Music

Yes, it’s getting complicated a bit, and the table is getting smaller and smaller… But it was lots of fun :slight_smile: I’m glad you liked it! Cheers Olival!

1 Like

While working on the video about the MicroFreak, I found myself, more than once, drifting into the sounds, spending more time playing than actually working on the video. This video is the result of one of those times.
3 Likes

Good stuff Omri! Fantastic play between the gentle and the screamy. Flame seems like an angry beast :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, Lars! Yeah, Flame is a beautiful module, capable of adding so much texture and color to a sound…

So I’ve started building a fixed rack again in VCV since there were many changes with the release of VCV 1.0 and also quite a few new interesting modules to explore. There is still a lot to be done, but it’s starting to feel more and more comfortable and intuitive, and I feel like my “musical self” again. Well, almost…

3 Likes

Any chance we can see your “fixed” Rack setup? I feel like it would be a good learning tool.

1 Like

Hi! Well, there are a few segments in the video of the patch, and I also offer it on my Patreon page. But it went already through some changes… I’m hoping to settle down on something and then I will make also a video about it.

2 Likes

Ah of course. No worries Omri.

Cheers!

In the last couple of months, I’ve recorded every week a piece of music, practicing and learning my setup, and I thought that maybe it’s a good idea to collect a few of those pieces and release them as a sort of a collection album

6 Likes

Great stuff Omri!

1 Like

Thank you so much Lars!

1 Like
5 Likes

Nice one Omri

1 Like

Thanks, Lars!

That’s so good man, wow, I really love this one. That VCV patch looked pretty crazy. Do you by chance have a tutorial on how you use ReaRoute ASIO to reroute your VCV sound in and out of Reaper? Then are you using your ES-3 somehow in Reaper to integrate your hardware sounds? I imagine this is pretty complicated in general, but I can hear how worth it is in your music. Inspiring stuff Omri!

2 Likes

Hey Adi! Thank you, it means a lot to me… I’m trying to develop this into a live setup so I’m happy for the positive comments :slight_smile:
About ReaRoute, yes, I have a video about it but it’s pretty old, although it should work the same also now.

I should really make a new video about this… But in general, all you have to do is set ReaRoute as your device in VCV and then in Reaper you set the input\s of the track\s you want to record as the respective channels in VCV, mono or stereo. Let me know if you have any issues or need some help.
About the ES-3, I have everything set up in Reaper, yes, and then I just have to make the connections in VCV, again, with using ReaRoute. The only issue I’m facing now is that ReaRoute has only 16 channels so I have only 16 signals to send back and forth including audio (mono\stereo, CV, and so on). But it can be also good this limitation, you know how it is when you have infinite amount of channels…
Cheers Adi!
2 Likes

Hey Omri! Thank you so much, I just finally got a chance to try watching your video and setting up ReaRoute. I only had to watch from about the 9 minute mark and had it running beautifully by 11:00. I think my Reaper looks slightly different from yours in the video probably because of updates or I don’t have it customized. But once I set the inputs I just had to right click on the tracks in Reaper to monitor them so I could hear the sound from VCV within Reaper. This seems to work amazing with no cpu issues. I really wish Ableton had a ReaRoute since I’m way more proficient with that software and effects. But at least for now this may help me get out of the box and get my mixes tighter and recordings better. Thanks again! And I would love to see you make a video on how you get VCV, Reaper, and a basic hardware setup all synced up, jammed, and recorded if you ever get time. Cheers Omri :slight_smile:

Hey, that’s great Adi! Yeah, Reaper is highly customizable so it looks different from one user to another, but the basics are the same. I hope to have everything set up soon and then I will make the video, sure. About Ableton, you can always just record into Reaper and than render everything and load it up in Ableton. Of course, it’s not ideal and takes a lot of time, but maybe it will work for you.
Cheers!

1 Like