Omri Cohen: Music

This is really nice Omri. As I said on youtube, my favorite from you so far. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks so much, Jim!

Here is the 2nd track of my latest album Cosmic Foundry

Iā€™ve composed it in VCV Rack with the help of the Neutron from Behringer. The whole album is inspired by a new module released in VCV Rack called Foundry, and by a very special oscillator from Animated Circuits called Cosmic. I also used the Neutron quite a lot, tweaking it as I go, adding this warmness to the sound. Anyway, Here is the full album if youā€™re interested :slight_smile:
https://omricohencomposer.bandcamp.com/album/cosmic-foundry
Thanks for listening!
1 Like

What is a better way of celebrating the release of a new module of the Geodesics collection, than to compose something with itā€¦ So I used Entropia to control Monark from NI (via VCV Host), and Iā€™ve added also Plaits to the mix (and a few other modulesā€¦). I also programmed a sequence on the BeatStep Pro, controlling the Neutron, but also outputting its second sequence, which is on random, to modulate a few parameters of the Neutron. With the Midilar I control a few parameters in VCV Rack like the filterā€™s cutoff point of Monark, the level of the various modules, and so on. One thing is for sure, I need a bigger tableā€¦

2 Likes

This is the first patch Iā€™ve recorded after fighting the flu for more than 2 weeksā€¦ There is chaos is this patch, just like the chaos I had in my head with over 40 degrees fever. Iā€™ve used the new synth from Valley, Interzone, and also Amalgam. I also really fell in love with the new sequencer from the Geodesics collection, Entropia. Itā€™s full of possibilities and surprises. Iā€™ve also used the BeatStep Pro from Arturia for sequencing some percussive elements, and also to sequence the Neutron.

5 Likes

Itā€™s a beautiful album Omri, and I thoroughly enjoy it. Well done!

1 Like

So good!

1 Like

Glad to hear youā€™re well again. Great tune Omri!

1 Like

Hey Lars, thank you so much! Iā€™m really glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

So this is another step towards building a live setup with VCV Rack. I wanted a small and portable keyboard, with cv outputs, and the KeyStep from Arturia was the perfect choice for me. The keys feel good, and the sequencer and arpeggiator are beautiful. Here, Iā€™m using the KeyStep as the master clock by sending the actual sync output to Clocked in VCV Rack. The KeyStep is sequencing the new synth module Interzone, and I also utilize the Mod Strip to modulate the pitch of another voice. I also use the Midilar controller to control the mixer, the Topograph, and other parameters in VCV Rack like delay time and the cutoff point of Interzoneā€™s filter. This is literally the first patch Iā€™ve built with using the KeyStep, and it was very intuitive and fun.

3 Likes

Nice patch and arpeggio! You get the best gear Omri. I need to play with Interzone I can seeā€¦

1 Like

Thanks, Lars! Yeah, Iā€™m building slowly a live setup, weā€™ll see how it goesā€¦ And yes, you should definitely start using Interzone, itā€™s a gem!

1 Like

So here the BeatStep Pro is sequencing 2 voices in VCV Rack, but also sending the same sequences to the Neutron, which is being triggered by a sequence on the drum sequencer. I also use my new favorite sequencer, Entropia from the Geodesics collection. Amalgam from Valley is adding some edge to the sound. I also use the BeatStep Pro as a keyboard, playing a sort of a melody in VCV Rack.

3 Likes

I started by sequencing the O Coast with Entropia in VCV Rack, and all of a sudden I got this nice fat bass sound coming out of my speakers, and it took me to beautiful placesā€¦

5 Likes

A great piece Omri ! I really loved it, and the ending blew my mind !

1 Like

Thanks so much Olival! Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wanted to do something more minimal this time, more repetitive also maybe. There are only 4 voices, 2 from the Neutron, one from the O Coast, and a short sequence recorded on to the Morphagene. Iā€™m using 3 ADDR sequencer in VCV Rack to sequence the voices and also some distortion from Blamsoft, and Iā€™m shaping the sound as I go.

1 Like

Arturia very kindly sent me the MicroFreak to see how it can work with VCV Rack, and oh boy, did I ā€œloseā€ some hours playing and jamming with those twoā€¦

This is literally my first patch with the MicroFreak and VCV Rack. I have an arpeggio set on the MicroFreak, but with some Spice added to it, and not only that, but I also use Fate, the new module from the Geodesics, to add even more variation to the sequence. This arpeggio is being sent to VCV Rack, sequencing the FM-OP and 2 Even VCOs. The MicroFreak itself is set on Speech Synthesis and is being sent to Chronoblob2 in VCV Rack. I have another voice being sequenced by the Phrase Sequencer and being modulated by a modulated LFO. I use the MicroFreak also as a Midi controller, bringing voices in and out, and controlling things like feedback amount, FM amount, and more.
2 Likes

This one is nice and dirtyā€¦ Itā€™s also the first recording with the new Freak filter, which sounds beautiful and adds lots and lots of character to the sound.
1 Like

This sounds lovely ! Great work ! Must have been quite hard to build this enormous patch/setup :sweat_smile:
I love the result ! awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like