Novation Launch Control XL MK2

Hi there. Is there anyone using this MIDI controler? Any feedback or suggestion? Thank you. Alain

I have a SL Zero and it works fine. Any MIDI controller by Novation should be ok.

1 Like

the Novation Launch Control XL MK2 is close to perfect but it lacks NPRN functionality. This becomes apparent when you screw around with the oscilators. 127 steps CC is really not much.

1 Like

or use two controllers - for coarse and fine. Here i use CC32 for ā€œcoarseā€ and CC33 for the ā€œfineā€ control.

Set ā€œsmooth CCā€ in the MIDI CC > CV module right-click menu to minimize jaggies when you move the coarse control.

-5V to +5V CV output: CVMIX knobs at -50%, 90% and 10%

0V to 10V CV output: CVMIX knobs at 0%, 90% and 10%.

Optionally use CVMap to map rack controls.

5 Likes

Hello,

Iā€™ve just bought ā€œNovation Launch Control XLā€. Received now ;o)

The MIDI devices suggested in the MIDI modules are :slight_smile:

• Launch control XL 1
  • MIDIIN2 (Launch control XL) 1

Whatā€™s the differents? Thank you. Alain

Here, under DAW setup/cubase:

Note: The ā€˜Launch Control XL HUIā€™ port may show as ā€˜MIDIIN2ā€™/ā€™MIDIOUT2ā€™ or something similar on Windows.

( HUI must have been included in a firmware update - the Programmers reference guide v2 says: ā€œLaunch Control XL has a single MIDI port named ā€˜Launch Control XL nā€™, where n is the device ID of your unit (not shown for device ID 1).ā€ )

Anyway, I canā€™t think of any modules that use the HUI protocol - use the ā€œLaunch control XL 1ā€ port.

Have fun making a good template, their new editor looks fine.

1 Like

Thank you! Readingā€¦ :nerd_face:

Thank you once again for these informations. Not easy to start with Launch Control XL and VCV Rack. I know now of course how to configure MIDI modules in VCV Rack to control Faders, Pans, etc. But I donā€™t understand the Templatesā€¦ And donā€™t know why, the default Templates are now not the same as when they got out of the boxā€¦ Do you know hos to reset this stuff?

Alain

I donā€™t have one, so i havenā€™t tried it, but I found this:

I donā€™t think itā€™s possible for you to change the factory templates.

About the Templatesā€¦ Do you know if thereā€™s somwhere some Templates for VCV Rack? Didnā€™t find anyā€¦ For instance, is it possible to light ON/OFF in Red/Green the buttons at the bottom of Control XL corresponding to the Minmeld Mix one? Impossible to find the way to do thatā€¦ Alain

If you are on linux then you might be able to use midizap - GitHub - agraef/midizap: Control your multimedia applications with MIDI. I created a template for launchcontrol xl with this for VCV Rack but it was so long ago now that I canā€™t remember what it did or what the capabilities are now unfortunately.

Ok. Thanks. Will look at this module. Alain

Another thought is to use slight slew to smooth midi messages

With Rack, you probably donā€™t need a template for most purposes. There is enough flexibility within Rack, you can handle anything that a MIDI controller is likely to produce, as long as it is MIDI CCs and notes (exclusive of hardware-specific SysEx, NRPN, or things that arenā€™t MIDI).

Not to say that it might be useful for some specific purposes to create custom templates. All depends on exactly what you want to do.

I think you just send the right midi note/cc value. Experiment with sending different voltages to the XL, pretty sure you can change colours like that and I think this was one of the things I was using midizap for.