new to vcv

Hi there,

I started using VCV a few weeks ago and I really like how it works. I have a few intro question though :

There is a lot of crackle and pop - does VCV work better with Jack than Alsa on linux? And I have used filter to make sure the crakle and pop are not created by the sound I am creating but from the system itself… (I think)

I see the pro version can be used as a VST2 which I’d love to incorporate with Reaper. I read that Reaper is available as a ‘host’ but wondering how is the support for the linux/reaper/rack2 setup?

Is there a way to have the central scroll wheel connected to Zoom at all time, instead of having to hold CTRL. I can move around the rack while holding the scroll wheel, but I’d love to be able to zoom in an out, which would make the control to be completely keyboard less.

Apart from that, it’s a load of fun! I’d love to get the pro version if it’ll work in Reaper!

1 Like

Running it in Jack I get these errors:

JackEngine::XRun: client = VCV Rack was not finished, state = Running

JackAudioDriver::ProcessGraphAsyncMaster: Process error

15:35:49.275 XRUN callback (228).

Strangely in sync with the crakle pop happening.

The crackle is a result of Rack not finishing on time (which is why those messages are in sync with it), try setting a higher buffer size in your jack setup, I recommend using cadence for jack.

This is on another thread. I looks like most people like having the scroll wheel do the “standard” thing.

welcome to rack land, I see you are follow the Linux path, only those with a pure heart follow this path…

yes, as uselesgames said, it is the result of interruptions in the processing, it is called X-runs, it’s a buffer under-or-overrun, X stands for under or over. It’s a sign that your system did not process some buffers in time, so some data is missed. it could be fixed in most of the cases, you should give to your system the capacity to execute the process in real time

make sure you have the basic setup fort jack

I tested on Reaper and Renoise, it works

Ah thank you! Yes my main system is not optimized for live audio that much, while my laptop is. I’ll see to optimize my main computer for it too.

Yeah I like changing knob value with it, but if I could zoom and and out while not on a knob and the changing knob when on it would be optimal for me, I think (at this moment). Wondering if other people uses only a mouse too - at it seems quite a mouse centric workload, I probably can configure one of the extra button on my mouse for that too…

Wow cadence seems a nice tool on top of jack, I’ll have a look.

Thanks for everything! :smiley:

I use software where the wheel is used to zoom , it seems “natural” , but in the rack is much more useful scroll with the wheel (you can use the view menu to zoom only with your mouse) instead a 3d -2d software the rack work like a internet browser , when you find a good level of zoom for your eyes, you only need scroll

Yeah I’ll see how I go about it - it’s all so new. But I tend to like to zoom out often to get an over view and zoom in, and I mostly move around holding the wheel down…

hose work best in large patches (since the rack is a stand alone software ) than tinny patches as in a instrument by channel in the vst, but I never find a vst that make the zoom is easy :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Welcome to the Rack universe :slight_smile:

The remedies are:

• Increase buffersize on the audio module until it disappears. If you’re on 512 try 1024 or 2048 or even higher. Of course higher buffersizes increases latency which you’ll feel if you’re playing fast on a MIDI keyboard or syncing via audio interface, so the rule is: As low buffersize as you can before audio is breaking up.
  • If you’re using a very high samplerate, in the audio module or the engine setting, lower them to 48Khz or 44.1Khz.
  • Make sure to keep the engine samplerate and the audio module samplerate the same, otherwise you use CPU for resampling and can have other sideeffects.
  • Don’t use a laptop (especially) or computer in general with builtin Intel graphics, it works poorly for Rack, like it says in the manual, and leads to increased CPU usage.
  • If you have tried the above, increase the threads used by the engine with 1, until the problem goes away. In general you should always start with one thread and only increase when needed.
  • If all else fails you need to make smaller patches or buy a computer that has a CPU with good single-core performance and a decent graphics card.

I think the general consensus is that it’s a lot easier to get it working with Alsa, but if you have the chops to set up Jack really well, ultimately that works better.

I think I read reports here that it works fine.

No, but I know someone has submitted it as a feature request to Andrew and he’ll consider it. Personally I like it as it is now. Being a keyboard person I also use Ctrl (or CMD on Mac) + - and Ctrl + + (control-minus and control-plus) to zoom out and in.

and … the default linux “governor” is often “ondemand” - learn how to set it to “performance”

(Is something like windows, where powerplan = performance)

When i run linux, I use Arch linux (manjaro), they often have good wiki pages https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Professional_audio

But I don’t have a (working) Linux driver for my firewire > 4xADAT card - so I stay on Windows 11 now.

1 Like

Yeah, on a smallish machine it’s probably important to set these, both on Windows and Linux. I can remember people reporting that. Another issue we don’t have on macOS :slight_smile: Really, much less headaches for audio, MIDI and music with a Mac, it’s a long list.

Macs never really appealed to me - I liked to assemble my own PC’s - or use a Silicon Graphics workstation, when I worked there.

1 Like

Yeah, I used to work assembling PC’s and I understand the appeal of building your perfect system. However, at my ripe old age I really like things working out of the box, and continuing to do so, and Mac fits that bill nicely. Plus, working with Windows every day, and still keeping tabs on the Linux ecosystem - when we’re talking about having a performant and stable(!) system, that just works with your hardware, macOS I have to say is orders of magnitude less headaches and cursing. It’s just… better :slight_smile: I bought my (first and so far only) iMac back in 2014 as a way to have a “good Linux box without the headaches” and it has suceeded in that mission, never regretted it.

yes ,that is to me the most important setup, in my case it increase the CPU capacity and run even better than my “very optimized to audio” windows boot , is huge the difference.

and here is how

echo performance | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor

I found it easier to configure jack for real time, than ALSA, besides the flexibility of Jack is a plus

also your desktop will have a hard impact in the performance, especially if you have an old machine, intel graphics, etc , in that case you should use XFCE or LXDE.

close all the apps and no vital processes .

decreasing the rack frame rate could help a bit too.

1 Like

Sounds good, yeah I’m on i7 quad so 8 core to work with with a decent nvidia card, running on pretty fast Multiple SSD drive for the different partition on a vanilla Arch and minimal as possible GUI (i3 with no desktop or login manager). So power should be fine!

I used an external card for the audio and went back to alsa which seems to work fine. Went back to jack with the audio interface and it’s smooth as butter. I wanted to use that interface anyway as I’ll use it to plug in my hardware system.

Great to hear! I’m refining my system and the mouse only setup seems pretty interesting (coming from a keyboard centric person!!)