New Module: 8Mode SoftSN Machine

8Mode SoftSN Machine

Pre-release of a hardware emulation of the Texas Instruments SN76477 “Complex Sound Generator”. This was a popular analog/digital hybrid chip released in 1978 and was used in Space Invaders, Vanguard and numerous toys. This module simulates analog circuits including 4 RC oscillators and voltage/digital inputs into a chip emulator. The emulator is based on open source from MAME Arcade.

I made this because I’ve been obsessed with VCVRack and I also have great memories of playing with the SN76477 when I was a kid. You could get this chip from Radio Shack in the 80s for like $15. I got it to make all sorts of sounds! So it’s a little nostalgic for me. I think that it’s extremely close to the real thing including all the quirks.

Here is where I’m at with the module:

• Source and Linux/Win/Mac Binaries available (Thank you Dmitry Wolf and @pgatt for Mac Version)
  • Hoping to get some input from others in the next few weeks and see about listing on the Plugin Manager
  • Visit https://www.8mode.com/vcv-modules/ for video Demo and Download

21 Likes

looking good! i will try it out.

1 Like

great module :+1:

1 Like

Lovely. Not only does the sound match my memory of that device, but you got that whole “Tandy Catalog” aesthetic on there.

1 Like

thank you

1 Like

Thank you

1 Like

Hi Matt! This oscillator looks very interesting, thank you!

1 Like

Super cool. Hope someone compiles on Mac so I can kick the tires. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hi Omri! Thanks so much! If I may say so, your work has played a big part of my interest in VCVRack. Really appreciate it!

1 Like

Hey, wow, thanks!

Hi Ben! Thanks to Dmitry Wolf who compiled it for me, I just added a Mac version to the release!

1 Like

That was fast! Grabbing now. Can’t wait to check it out. Cheers.

… No way that it will updated for the new VCV release??
Please? :cry:

the homepage linked above no longer exists, so it looks abandoned.

but a github repository exists, so anyone who wants could pick it up.

Sure was a nice Module… @SkwareUawe in the meanwhile, if you want to emulate some 8bit sounds, get an analog oscillator, and put some light distortion on it :wink: you will get sounds very close to the NES games sounds. Also your white noise should be small lofi samples of actual white noise, for more authenticity ^^
Haven’t tried yet, but i’m sure making chiptune in Vcv rack must be quite fun !

1 Like

vult debriatus is perfect for it

1 Like

I wrote an email to the guy himself who realized the plugin, at the time, but still no answer.
I’d pick it up myself but I cannot program so it would be unuseful.

TBH I am still using VCV 0.6.2c because a lot of modules I was used to use are missing in 1.0

And well… I also use a lot of VST that emulate more or less perfectly the NES, C64, Atari and other retromachines but that one was really cool to play with.

Sigh, how many have been lost during the transition from 0.6.2 to 1.0 :sob::cry:

1 Like

Here some examples I made time ago:

1 Like

Yeah, i still miss some too… But i rebuild a new workflow i like :slight_smile:
Btw, can you recommend me some Vst for Nes and c64 ? I would be very interested about these :wink:
so far i work with Sunvox and craft the sounds myself

1 Like

There is the list of the ones I use:

Driftmaker_Win64_1_0_2.zip
DvnSfxMaker101_WIN_64.zip
Expanse_Win64_1_0_2.zip
fb3100_1_1_6_winvst.zip
fb3200_1_0_3_winvst.zip
fb3300_1_0_5_winvst.zip
HarshDigitalNose_x64.zip
JuceOPLVSTi_x64.zip
lethality_vsti_x64_v112_r.zip
modulair_1_0_1_winvst.zip
Podolski_1_2_1_Win.zip
ragnarok_1_2_2_winvst.zip
Revitar_x64.zip
SID_64b.zip
Synth1-113beta_x64.zip
TripleCheese_1_2_1_Win.zip
TyrellN6_V303_Win.zip
vstsid.zip
VSTSpeek-1.3-(64bit).zip

They are all available online for free! Some are incredibly cool, some others are… Meh… You know… Commodore 64-ish

My apologies for the OT! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like