My Music - Paul Piko

I have an updated appraisal of “Bunjil’s Journey - Tantaraboo” - It’s a bloddy marvellous piece Paul! So complete, lovely and inspirational, touching all the right places in me, and something I would have expected on an album from a major electronic musician, that I’ve paid good money for. I’ve been listening to it in a loop for a couple of days, and I can tell you it’s definately made my top list of favorite Rack tunes. It’s just really really good. Thanks again for sharing Paul!

2 Likes

Thanks @LarsBjerregaard for posting. I don’t know how I missed this After the Storm. Wow! I like it a lot. Well done! @PaulPiko

1 Like

Oh Lars, thanks so much. Your comments mean a lot to me, and are very encouraging.

I hope it’s not just a case of infinite monkeys… make enough patches and one will be good :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Jim!

I know this much: Even the best of musicians have less than stellar performances :slight_smile: Besides… you’ve had quite a few patches that I at least thought were very good. We’re all learning I guess…

1 Like

This patch started with the Rescomb 2 filter on Basal, then I added modules I’ve been using lately: Marbles, Plaits, Braids, Cosmic oscillator and more Chronoblob 2.

1 Like

Very nice Paul! You make the Chronoblob sound good, I should get into using it. By the way - what’s the deal with Bunjii and the different names?

Thanks Lars. Chronoblob is definitely worth trying.

The naming is a word association thing, that gives me an image to go with the sound. Bunjil is the name the local indigenous people use for the Wedge Tail Eagle creator deity, and I often see wedge tail eagles from my home. The other recent names are nearby locations - Ngannelong is a name for Hanging Rock… there was a 1975 movie Picnic at Hanging Rock, pretty significant here, that has been recently remade as a series. Using the indigenous names is a reminder and an acknowledgement of the traditional owners of the place that I live.

2 Likes

Ah yeah, you live in Australia, that’s right. I remember the movie, with Sam Neil, right? Great movie.

That’s one movie that Sam Neill isn’t in :slight_smile: It’s mainly a female cast, about some girls who mysteriously disappear at Hanging Rock. Interestingly it featured Romanian panpipe music.

2 Likes

Ah yes, I mixed them up but I’ve seen both. The one I was thinking of was the “dingo abducting baby” one, but it’s probably from the 80’s. Both great movies.

That’s one of my favorite movie, mainly because I saw it when I was very young, probably around 10-14 years old, and it burned itself in my brain as a child. The music haunted my memory for years before I remembered it and rediscovered the movie.

• I know that Miranda is a Botticelli angel.

We studied the book at school not long after the film was released. I drive past Hanging Rock every now and then, and always think of the atmospheric sounds and images of the film.

I’ve gone for a simple spooky ambient patch this time. Using Neil, which is a version Clouds with Parasite firmware.

2 Likes

Today’s patch with a little DIY tremolo. Random sampler, Basal, EV3, Freak, Caudal, and Chronoblob 2 are the main modules. Visual effects from MilkRack.

2 Likes

Have you every tried making harmonic tremolo? I’ve had a go at it and my version (whether i’ve understood how it is supposed to work or not) sounds quite nice.

No, haven’t tried that. I’ve have to give it a go.

Very nice tune Paul! Simple and effective - the best kind. The two voices fit really well together and I love the use of tremolo through the delay, that works really well, great technique! Very enjoyable indeed.

1 Like

Thanks Lars. I think it will be handy for future patches, maybe part of something bigger.

I use Marbles so often, but it was time for some variety. This patch is driven by Branes, with two Basal oscillators for faux guitar and piano.

3 Likes