Mutron Bi -phase, Phase shifting

Well at least you knew what components to put together, even if it did sound nothing like a ‘real’ one. Was that in software or hardware, during your time at Voyetra?

No, this was much later, like 2004. At a different music software company, and it was to prototype some programming idea, so it was software.

So what else were you successful at programming in 2004? I think I might have started using Vsts in Fruity Loops 5 by then.

Anyway, I was quite bored so I had a go at this. Phaser Patch.vcv (35.4 KB)

If you really want a DIY phaser from scratch using individual modules, instead of just using an existing phaser module here you go! I found that two Surge filters with some feedback patched in came quite close to sounding like the Frozen Wasteland module. They’re in series on each channel and running all-pass mode. No idea if it sounds like the Mutron because I haven’t heard one. I’m using a guitar loop from the sampler and added the waveshaper for some grit to bring out the phasing effect, but it sounds quite good with VCOs as well. Enjoy!

1 Like

seeing this much effort to recreate one of my modules, makes the development of said module seem so worthwhile :cry:

1 Like

If you just want to take the easy way out, (where by easy I mean pay for VCV Host & then buy this VST from Audiodamage)

Sorry, wasn’t my idea! :rofl: Your phaser is great for pinging with a short burst of noise, I’m making some percussion sounds with it now. Haven’t tried it on live guitar yet either but I think it’s better than my home made one!

Chaircrusher, I have Host and this is the sensible approach. Always fun trying to make effects from basic modules though. :wink:

Woah, you and your ideas! I have just been trying out Stairway and that is too ‘dirty/noisy’ just as Squinky suspected. So I have been working on using XFX Filter in phaser mode, got some nice modulation using Caudal in one Phaser filter and BPM LFO into the other one.

The patch:

XFX Filters as Bi-phase.vcv (37.0 KB)

XFX Filters As Bi - Phase Mutating Itself by Adrian Bottomley | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Anybody think it sounds like the Mu-Tron Bi-phase, the sound source is a fairly flat drone in E2. So hopefully you can pick up the phasing fx.

Here is Lee Scratch Perry using the Mu-Tron Bi phase on drums and everything. 15-22mins into the mix.

Dub Treasures From The Black Ark Rare Dubs 1976-1978 - YouTube

Wait, is that what this is about? I’m sure I read about the Mutron in old guitar magazines and I think it is just 2 phasers in the same box.

If only it was so simple, have a listen to Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry on the YouTube link above. He uses it on a lot of the tracks from about 15 mins into the video.

iirc the bi-phase was a dual 6 stage phaser with feedback control.

i think if you want that exact sound then a plugin clone in host fx would be your best bet. you could build a patch in vcv to try and replicate a dual 6 stage phaser with feedback but its not going to sound specifically like the Mu-tron without modelling the actual circuit.

and i havent looked into bi-phase plugins but im willing to bet there is one with a preset based on what Lee Perry used which was the “super phaser” overlay. you can see it in Roots Rock Reggae which you can probably pull up on youtube.

as a compulsive collector, I have a huge selection phaser collection and biphase is the second :slight_smile: my top is the Roland PH830 The most modular of all is the doepfer 101-3 :heart:

My UNDOCUMENTED phasers are very CVable

U have been quiet on here for a while, all ok? So I have tried your phasers, any set up ideas to get near the Mu-Tron Bi phase, how would you sweep the frequencies and maybe the resonance -LFO, Caudal etc.? Thank you for your time.

regarding the M-tron BIPhase

any image you’ll find on the net is very explicative. are 2 different phasers 2 different inputs

one pedal input for the SWEEP (used instead of the inner LFO)

pedal with dual switch to activate the 2 phasers separately

can be cascaded (input of PHI2 can be out of PHI1)

and 2 LFO (called GEN) both LFO are SIN and SQU and LFO2 can be overriden with LFO1 (DIRECT or REVERSE)

very easy to repro

regarding tuzzi phasers… :smiley:

the stereophaser2 is less CPU aggressive

both phaser have an inner LFO

in both you can override it using “EXT MODULATOR”

but you can obtain a lot using the CV in on “CENTER FREQ” and “BANDWIDTH” setting the MOD DEPTH to ZERO

just connect a signal in
connect an LFO (0 to 5v) to the center FREQ and set center freq to 0.5 set BW to 0.4

set to 6 stages and second order

1 Like

Does that mean six stages, each stage is a second order allpass?

Thank you, so would a Matrix mixer help with the Bi-Phase or not -just mix and drop out the sounds? Just using your two Stereo Phasers now in a Dub style set up using your 2 Complex Simpler and samples I created. Always love to mess up sound using your modules.

Here’s some tunes created using the above set up:

Bi - Phase Nysthi Way Crazy Talk - Dead On Cue in Nysthi does Dub-Bi Phase (soundcloud.com)

Bi-phase Nysthi way.vcv (52.5 KB)

IIRC yes

Thanks, so how does your Panner module work? Looking for some extreme panning in a reverb dense environment.

@ady34 looks like you’ve worked out a solution for this one and likely moved on, but in case you haven’t &/or for the next time you want to model something from the unobtanium collection…

the arturia version of the bi phase that @main.tenant mentioned is now included in their effects collection which has just been updated and is currently on sale. also, they allow you to download a (very) time- and function-limited demo of all their software, which (if you don’t want to buy it) you could use to see how it works before modeling it. if you work really fast, you might also use it to compare your result to theirs.

like yourself, i enjoy the exercise of using rack modules to create patches inspired by real-world synths & effects that i’ll never be able to afford. having access to software that provides a reference is really helpful.