Mutable Instruments Beads

Would be interested to hear those Omri…

Thanks for sharing that Nik, it’s a very nice demo of the reverb. I must confess I really like the sound of that reverb, both in the LOFI and HIFI modes.

1 Like

So do I. I have the pedals but this is the best reverb I have in the rack now.

Well, how it goes into wavetable mode, for example. If nothing is connected to the inputs and it’s not set to freeze, it will go into wavetable mode after 10 seconds. That means that if it’s connected to the mixer, for example, but you still didn’t decide what to do with it, it will generate sound. Another thing is how it’s setting the input levels. As soon as you connect something, it will start setting the level so if you connect something that is not always playing or something that is still not set up, it will crank up the levels because there is silence. Of course, you can do this process again but, for example, when I used the kalimba with it, I had to directly play it so it will set the right levels. It’s a bit annoying, to be honest.

2 Likes

Yeah, maybe it could have been done more elegantly with a button combo, don’t know. I guess the trick then is to get into the habit of pressing the freeze button as the first thing, to prevent activation of wavetable mode.

Yes, it has auto-gain. I haven’t read the manual, but I read somewhere that you can actually also set the gain manually, which I think would fix that issue.

I think maybe stay tuned to https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/beads/18091/ Looks like there’ll be a firmware update coming very soon…

1 Like

I’m in love with this drone that someone posted on the mutable forum:

"Oh shit, I just couldn’t not record this, it’s been playing for about 4 hours here.

Beads (frozen with captured audio in the buffer) and a couple of LFOs from Batumi and that’s all. A little internal modulation too, internal reverb, Sunny Tape quality, mono in, stereo out straight into the mixer/recorder."

2 Likes

I’ve been having to adjust the auto levels post hoc too - it’s the quality button + the feedback knob (but I’m sure you know that Omri !).

I think you are right Lars, there has already been a grain overlap problem causing dropouts that Emilie has fixed, so there are going to be updates coming.

There is very little hidden in the interface, but that does mean that combo button presses are free to be allocated in the future, as they surely will be when the alternative firmwares come in a year or so. It may be worth contacting Emilie Omri about requesting a means to manually turn on and off the wavetable mode ?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s what I will do, I will manually activate the gain adjustment but I wish it would not do this automatically when connecting something.

3 Likes

Streaming some Beads, tweaking it every now and then

5 Likes

I especially like what happens after about 3h30m :slight_smile:

1 Like

It really is a great ambient generator or, to use its name, texture synthesizer. Epic stream length Paul !

2 Likes

Thanks Nik! I started out putting Plonk through Beads, and switched to the internal wavetable part way through. I’ve been doing a few things while it has been on in background, and tweaking it every now and then. Some of the sounds have surprised me, and that’s cool.

2 Likes

Epic demo Paul, longest I’ve ever seen :slight_smile: There’s some really great sounds in there and it’s amazing what you can do just with the internal wavetable mode. Indeed after the 3h30m mark things start getting interesting when the modulations really kick in. It goes full Terry Riley and Suzanne Ciani sometimes :slight_smile: Love it! Seems like such a great module, both for ambient and for really experimental stuff. If you made say a half hour excerpt of this and posted on YouTube, people would go bananas for it. I really enjoyed this demo Paul!

Some of the time it looks like you get LFO’s out of the T outputs of Marbles, how do you do that?

According to the manual:

The manually-set gain is memorized and applied until a long press on [A] re-enables automatic gain control.

So maybe you don’t have to do it every time?

https://forum.mutable-instruments.net/t/beads/18091/175

I think “endured” is the word you’re looking for :wink: Actually I’m pretty sure you didn’t watch it all :smiley:

I think I was on the phone with my daughter for at least an hour, so I didn’t even hear it all.

Yes, I intend making a sampler from it.

Hmm, not sure about that

1 Like

I’ll have to check that because it seems like it’s doing it every time a connection is made.

DivKid’s guide

4 Likes

Reminds me of the time I decided to lie down on my bed and went to sleep while streaming.

1 Like

Some extracts from my stream: Sounds of MI Beads Wavetable

4 Likes

A great selection there. The organ sounds are verly nice and I’ve been particularly enjoying the formants too.

1 Like