Mutable Instruments Beads

Yes to all that. A semi-modular is a good way of looking at it. You could stick it in a little Pod with an I/O module and it’s an instrument.

1 Like

I joined the club :slight_smile: I had been thinking of getting a Typhoon, and then I heard Beads was coming.

(RIngs and Plaits were used :wink: )

5 Likes

Oh nice, good for you Paul! Looking forward to hearing patches from you and Nik.

That escalated slowly but significantly!

1 Like
5 Likes

Just read it, amazing! Really makes you appreciate the amount of work that goes into a quality product.

2 Likes

When Beads doesn’t have anything in the IN jacks it “loses patience” and uses its internal wavetables. I recorded some video cycling through the banks/waveforms but it’s way too late after a long day to process it now; so here’s a screen shot instead

2 Likes

Is “attenurandomiser” a new idea in Beads?

I believe so.

2 Likes

@LarsBjerregaard I’m already exploring some sounds :slight_smile: Granular is life…

5 Likes

Or death by a thousand slices :slight_smile:

1 Like

I knew you couldn’t let it pass by :grin:
By the way, where did you get those braided cables? They look great.

I have a cable like that for guitar, and also a Similar USB cable that came with the Digitone. I love the feel of these type of cables :blush:

2 Likes

They look a bit like the Instruo ones in Jason’s vids.

1 Like

I’m not so sure about the cables actually… I looked in my orders in Amazon and Thomann but couldn’t find them. @Nik I have a few from Instruo, short ones. They feel much better than these ones but they quite short.

1 Like

I think these are the cables but can’t be sure.

1 Like

Yes, that was a nice unboxing moment. In my case, with the -takt

1 Like

Congrats Nik, Paul, & Omri on grabbing one these. Can’t wait to hear some sounds from you guys! I ordered one, but looks like a late May shipment for me. I haven’t had much time to research it, but curious if there’s a way to adjust feedback or if there’s a reverb like the og clouds.

Yeah, there’s feedback control and reverb. The reverb sounds pretty nice, and the sound is overall better than Clouds. I like the different quality modes as well, they can add character and they are all mono/stereo. It’s not perfect, I have to admit though. I got mine yesterday and I already noticed a few things I’m not so happy with but overall, it’s a beautiful instrument, very musical, and quite intuitive.

2 Likes

Here is a demo of the reverb Adi. I’m afraid I haven’t sorted myself out for hardware YT videos yet ! ( Did I hear a collective sigh of relief ? :slight_smile: ).

Beads - 001 - Reverb

As it says in the description:

This is Rings into Clouds … sorry … 2HP Pluck into Beads, randomly sequenced from Marbles, recorded by the VCV Rack Recorder module with no effects or post processing other than normalization in Audacity.

The reverb in Beads lies after the granularization mixer in the signal chain, so it can be used independently, as it is here (the Pluck is 100% dry). The first 1:29 is in Scorched Cassette (24kH, 8-bit) mode, the rest in Bright Digital (48kHz, 16-bit) mode. These are the lowest and highest quality settings respectively. You will hear a slight click at 1:29 where I switch modes (just after the reverbless pluck).

In the lo-fi section the reverb begins fully wet and fades to dry at the end. In the second half the reverb is faded up from dry to fully wet (at 2:05), then in and out from 75% wet (at 2:25) and 50% wet (at 2:52) to fully wet (a couple of times), before fading back to dry at the end (from 3:40).

The reverb fading seems fairly linear up until about 75% but between here and fully wet the character really comes on quickly, with what sounds almost like analogue saturation/overdrive.

2 Likes