Most Moogy Filter?

I did try the Analyzer XL, and couldn’t see the distortion, though I could definitely hear it. But just now I amplified the signal to bring the noise floor up where it was visible, and I could then finally see the noise in the Lateralus output. If I really push the Alma overdrive hard, then the noise becomes audible (and visible) as well. But the Lateralus amplifies that low level noise to audible levels even at very low drive settings.

I am using one of your filters a lot recently! I think I have discovered a new use case for this filter that people may get excited over. If I can just get over my fear of recording a demo with voiceover, then I will post a patch and pseudo tutorial video demonstrating the technique. If it takes much longer, then I’ll simply post a patch and video with a written explanation instead. Written discription only just doesn’t have the same impact.

1 Like

Here is an ultra simple patch that demonstrates the issue - vanilla VCV plus count modulo for a switch, and the Lateralus and Alma LPFs. Also Glue for some labels, but that is totally unnecessary. simpleLateralusSinDistortion.vcv (6.8 KB) (@Squinky too)

With the switch off, adjust the mix output and/or adjust the lateralus drive and hear the change in character of the Lateralus noise/distortion. Counterintuitively, some of the worst distortion occurs at low input and/or drive levels.

Turn the switch on, and Alma remains clean sounding as Mix volume is swept as long as overdrive is kept to reasonable levels.

I have found the bug. It was just the tolerance of one of my solvers. I will publish a fix with my next releasez

15 Likes

Nice!

1 Like

:+1: Glad you found it.

1 Like

I see a new vult update on the library. Can we assume this fix is included? Thanks so much.

Yes. Version 1.17 includes the fix.

3 Likes

Actually v1.17 did not fix the problem for me :thinking: , but v1.18 did :smiley: .

Thanks for posting the fix.

1 Like

But as reported by rydh.nils, Lateralus no longer self oscillates. It now takes the briefest of gentle nudges (any input) to initiate self oscillation. :frowning: Once self oscillation is initiated, the input can be removed.