Most Moogy Filter?

I keep reading about the wonders of the Moog filters in the hardware realm. I’d like to experience the magic. Who in the library makes the most Moogy filter for Rack?

(Alt if you’ve a particularly nice filter of another kind, that’d be good too) :smile:

1 Like

I think Vult Lateralus or Lienderberg Research Alma

3 Likes

Squinky Labs Stairway is definitely worth checking out

3 Likes

All filters from Lindenberg and Vult sound great. I personally love the aggressive sound of Valerie, and my other go-to filters are Ferox (paid) and Unstabile.

3 Likes

Yes, the Vult and lindenberg are the go to filter for moog. My Stairway was supposed to be moogy, but it didn’t really come out that way. It does have a huge range of sounds in it, and if you don’t use too many crazy features it is in the moog universe, but probably not as close as those other filters

3 Likes

Stairway and the blamsoft filter are also in my rotation, and both are stereo, which is very nice. I occasionally reach for Maccomo. I haven’t played around with the Kocmoc filters too much, but my recollection is that they are also quite good.

1 Like

yeah, Blamsoft is a real “OG” filter. Pre-dates most of the others. Really solid and versatile.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll try them all!

Stairway looks like a Filter for All Seasons, that will take time to explore.

You can ignore any parameters you want with stairway. If you don’t change any of them it acts like a normal filter, 24db low pass ladder filter.

1 Like

Had a good play with these, so I think I get the picture. The Vult gave sounds that I most recognise from records.

From the other angle of utility and flexibility, Squinky’s Stairway is the business. A toolkit. Not only all the filter types, but nice touches like a volume pot make it much easier to integrate.

EDIT it even has a control to fix the ‘infamous bass suck of the moog filter’. Didn’t know I needed this until now :smile:

3 Likes

Alma is my favorite moogish filter. might be my favorite software filter. it stands the AB comparaison to my subphatty and it has some sweet spot in the drive knob that make anything sounds great! Also I believe there might be some hidden slew limiter in the cv input that gives live to any CV!

Vult Latteralus is also really realistic comapred too moog!

Talking about moog circuitery, I wish there as a CP3 mixer in VCV :slight_smile:

Ah, your read the manual :wink: As I mentioned there, I first saw that control on the Rossum filter that I stole many ideas from. The bass suck (or resonance push, depending on the filter) you really notice when you test these things with a scope or even better a spectrum analyzer. I think it’s more obvious there than listening, esp since a lot of these filters compress a lot due to (good sounding) distortion.

I’ve heard that from a lot of people, so I believe it. I have confess when I was making Stairway I peeked at the source code for Alma (something I rarely do) and thought “this doesn’t look like a very sophisticated emulation of a Moog”, but clearly I was very, very wrong.

One of the design goals for the Kocmoc filters was most definitely to have as much room as possible for the parameters to catch all those nonlinear sweet spots (and still not sound like crap, hence all the options for oversampling rates)

Yes, outrageous I know. So many features in here I had no choice. What’s ‘Phaser’ doing in there?? Seriously, this is a great feature-packed module with a ton of sound scaping options. I’m not just blowing smoke, this is really good.

1 Like

Phaser is often seen as a cousin of flanger and chorus, but it’s usually a filter based effect, not a mod delay as chorus and flanger. It involves all pass filters that creates phase inversions at some points of the spectrum. You move the notches like you would move the cutoff frequency of your low pass. I won’t go deeper without saying some bullshits, if not done already :blush:

1 Like

That’s interesting, indeed I always thought it was a delay-based thing. On the basis that engineers created it with two tapes running in and out of phase - or is that folklore?

Anyway good to have it in there. I had ruled out ever, ever getting a hardware modular because of the cost. I’d need to buy so many modules to create what I can do here so it would be a disappointment. But if there were modules like this with so much scope for variety I’d be forced to rethink that. A sequencer, one of those macro oscillators plus a filter like this (plus some bits and bobs) - could do a lot with that.

Those are some good questions. First the easy one – why is “phaser” one of the filter choices. It’s because the analog filters I …. “was inspired by” had one. It seemed slightly useful so I put it in with the others.

@pyer is correct about phase shifters vs flangers. Flanging is the delay based one, originally named because you pushed on the tape reel flange to slow down the tape. Phasers were born as guitar pedals – I forget which was the first. Phasers have a series of sweepable allpass filters, often four but almost always between two and six. The signal gets run through that allpass VCF, and then added or subtracted from the un-filtered signal. The allpass filters cause a phase shift (small delay that varies with frequency and CV), mixing the phase shifted with the straight causes a notch filter for every allpass filter, so a series of two to six notches.

So both flanging and phasing are in effect sweeping comb filters, but they do sound quite different. Phasing is more subtle and more “liquid” sounding. Flanging is harsher. I expect the difference it in the number and spacing of the notches.

I’ve just tried the phaser setting and I can’t get it to “swoosh”. I don’t need technical details, though I do appreciate the exchange of knowledge, I just need to know where to set the knob to make it “swoosh”. Like a phase 90 or a Mutron.

I don’t know! my guess is that you would need to mix it equally with some unfiltered signal. I’ll try to experiment sometime. There are, of course, proper phaser effects from others. The Frozen Wasteland one looks pretty versatile, and the Nysthi and Surge ones are probably really good.

1 Like