More fan on my iMac since version 1

oh totes mcgoats. I think most people see a difference between 30/60 fps, but also lots mistake this for getting more visual information. It’s great for selling stuff that displays high framerate, but the eye just doesn’t work that way. 30/60 fps absolutely look different, but the difference is almost entirely aesthetic…

2 Likes

Hi spacetraffic, let me know how testing goes as I would be very interested in the results. Would be a shame if I had to switch to a Windows PC to run VCV or indeed go back to hardware and ditch VCV as it is/was such a fabulous application. I am able to work with VCV as it is but cannot record anything because as soon as I open up another application even a non related app like Google Chrome VCV starts to glitch out. I am now aware of others having the same or similar problems so I think this is a larger issue than just a couple of users!

Shut the browser down when using Rack. As a class of application they are the worst offender for apparently arbitrary interruptions to the audio thread.

3 Likes

Yes, @Nik is right, you should not run a Web browser at the same time as VCV, these things are nasty on the CPU/RAM and they do mean stuff to the audio too, i experienced that on a Linux computer, and i’m sure it would happen on my Windows too if it was less powerful :slight_smile:

Hi Nik. I was only using that as an example but I will make sure no apps running in the background in future. But the other day I know that I had no apps other than VCV running and anything I did that is not VCV related caused audio drop-out and glitching. So recording via OBS and Ableton or the builtin VCV Record module for that matter causes massive issues. Having said that, I did a test today on an old iMac. A simple patch and hit the VCV Record button loads of browser windows open and other apps. The audio was glitching all over the place but the actual video when played back was fine! More testing I think. Thanks for help on this.

1 Like

Hi Olival. Just saying to Nik that I was only using that as an example but will make sure in future to have other apps open when using VCV. Trouble is I will want to use OBS and Ableton at some point and if I so much as look at the computer it glitches audio all over the place. Again I feel more testing coming on but v0.6 was absolutely fine on the same computer. Thanks for advise and help. VCV Rack is still a great app.

1 Like

i see… yes having Obs and your Daw is important… I hope you will manage to get it running again to how it was in v 0.6 :wink: