Module ideas

The ‘Mixturtrautonium’

https://i0.wp.com/120years.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Mixtur_Trautonium.jpg

I am fascinated by the so-called ‘Mixturtrautonium’, a further development of the Trautonium: http://120years.net/the-mixturtrautonium-oskar-sala-germany-1936/

It was resembled by Doepfer Trautonium English using the following modules

But how to resemble it in VCV Rack?

There are already some formant filters in VCV Rack. The ribbon controller could be resembled by a Linnstrument Linnstrument

So, what’s left is the Subharmonic Generator

I’m actually designing a module for the VCV Rack that is inspired by the Doepfer A-113, but instead of audio output it will produce Pitch-CV. By doing so I will be able to use all the wonderful existing oscillators out there.

Here’s a first draft:

9 Likes

Since a lot of us post to social media a LUFS meter would be really, really handy.

1 Like

Hi @VCV_Rack_Renegade,

I’d be happy to build this, if you’d like. I’d be excited to collaborate with you to get it just right, too. Let me know what you think. I could use another little project while I’m dreaming up my next big thing. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Zoom2Fit

Hover the mouse over a module and hit a dedicated key or key-combination and the module will be displayed centered and zoomed to fill the screen.

I tried some approaches but I couldn’t get it to work.

I have an upcoming module which can do that (and much more), called STROKE. You can download a development build from my GitHub repository for PackOne.

1 Like

Just checked out STROKE … works great :+1:

1 Like

can I ask what is the purpose for it?

“Zoom to fit” resizes a selected module to fill up the screen with one single keystroke. This makes it easier to grab tiny knobs, etc.

2 Likes

I see, thanks for your explanation

1 Like

Hi. I ended up going with Ben’s ReMOVE…

…but there may possibly be room for a CV-only solution that is less demanding CPU-wise, although I have no idea what it costs to move all the knobs but it seems like it would be costly and I’ve already had CPU struggles with it but have also been able to workaround them for the most part. I’m on a HP Envy laptop so may be asking too much of it.

Cool! Glad you found something that works for you!

1 Like

Wouldn’t zooming in on a module with a single keystroke be better as a feature request for Rack rather than a module that needs to be installed?

1 Like

You can turn on the CPU meters and see how much this module uses. If it uses a lot, file a bug. These kinds of things can usually be fixed. But only if they are reported.

I also made this feature request https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack/issues/1793

2 Likes

I’m thinking of coding a tracker in the style of GoatTracker or FamiTracker. Are there any interests or is it a good solution to send MIDI from Renoise to the rack? To be said, the tracker I’m thinking of will never reach the high level of that inside Renoise or SunVox. Please tell your opinion.

2 Likes

Add this one to my pile of ideas so terrible, I’m sure one of you will want to adopt it:

Percussive synth programming (mostly for laptops). Access the device’s tilt sensor, if it has one. Macs do, and so will any convertible tablet. The webcam could also work for this purpose (but would be 10x harder to implement).

Give the computer a good whack to nudge the knobs of every other module a bit in that direction. That’s it. That’s the idea. Thanks for reading.

5 Likes

i’d like to see this.

Yes, and I think of a flexible system with expander modules where one can add note-tracks and also FX-tracks like in Renoise by clicking little [+][+] buttons:

Have you tried the entrian sequencers? They do this, but without the 80’s retro vibe. Our Seq++ is very good for timeline note sequencing, but doesn’t to the CV stuff like entrian does.

1 Like

In case you haven’t seen it, there is one tracker module in the library:

Last I heard, the developer was working on adding support for keyboard input (i.e. typing in values rather than the current knob-like mouse interface which increments and decrements values via click-and-drag). Despite how tedious the current interface can be to work with, I’ve found it to be a fun sequencer.

I imagine it would be a lot of work, but it would be very cool to see a module like this that could import sequences from the file formats of popular trackers. Or at least the JSON export from Famitracker (selfishly, as that’s the only one I’ve used). Bonus points if the module supports the portable sequence standard.