MIDI-MAP while in Ableton not working but does out of Ableton?

To carry on in the same vein as my post from yesterday, I have created a basic template that has MixMaster Junior nicely mapped to my Launch Control XL with another Launch Control ll ready to map modules etc… This works great when it’s in stand alone but not at all when it’s in Ableton. I watched Omri’s nice 40 minute video on VCV Rack and Ableton, and noticed one of the comments that was given a sticky note about using a max for live device to do midi mapping from VCV to Ableton, but that doesn’t seem to be my issue?

Maybe this will help you:

1 Like

Thanks for the help. I’m having trouble getting the Launch Control to stay in the edited User 1, keeps wanting to control the Ableton parameters. I’ll save an edited file to the Launch Control and start playing around but then …

Working on it and will try again tomorrow.

1 Like

Ive made a habit of pressing the user button often. I’m an ableton user also and I can vouch and say the XL seems to want to default to control surface mode any time an external device is plugged in or unplugged or certain kinds of global settings are adjusted.

I can say this is actually a good habit with the XL to get into. Especially once you get into multiple user pages of mappings. {EDIT and random XL TIP: I normally don’t use take over mode in ableton. but once I get into multiple pages of mappings on the XL its a must have. Otherwise when I jump between user pages and once I touch a knob there is that abrupt jump in value between page 1 and page 2.}

1 Like

Thanks for the input. I have both the XL and it’s smaller brother (I leave the Ableton duties to the XL - and along with a Launchpad X it’s a great combination). so I’m using the smaller one to run vsts and the like. I really like the Novation pots on these units. I ordered an Akai MIDI-Mix (which is basically Akai’s version of the XL) to use for more controller inputs. We’ll see how that goes. I will keep in mind your advice on paying attention to the User mode.

1 Like

Actually, the presets keep resetting themselves and I have to reload the User Template 1 each friggin time I open the Ableton project. Pretty annoying.