Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Hi all,

Florian from Austria here. Iā€™m technical mathematician working as cloud solution architect. Iā€™m using VCV for over a year now and I love itā€¦thank you so much, Andrew, for creating it! I really hope VCV 2 will be a success and youā€™ll be able to make a living on it!

Now Iā€™ve also setup a dev environment and who knows, maybe Iā€™ll contribute some modules some day :slight_smile:

Cheers, everybody, glad to be here! :partying_face:

11 Likes

UNIXoid systems could have multiple simultaneous users logged in and interested in VCV. Requiring a distinct IP seems broken.

Count me as another guy too broke for hardware. Many moons ago, I used to visit the music store and devalue the floor merchandise. (Mainly Roland Junos) Iā€™m able to make satisfactory noises with a relatively cheap computer now.

1 Like

I think what he meant to say is that registering a VCV Community account using the IP of another logged-in account automatically flags the account to prevent spam, so we need to manually approve them before they can post.

1 Like

So thereā€™s a manual work-around. I suspect most Linux boxen and Apples have a single guy on at a time. I was just saying that it doesnā€™t have to be that way. Iā€™m pretty paranoid about guests, so I donā€™t think Iā€™d run afoul of this check. Come to think of it, all my boxen run through an IPV4 NAT, so two machines might hit it if I were less paranoid.

1 Like

Hey everyone!

My name is Robin Hammar. I am a fresh plugin developer currently learning DSP and C++ programming through VCVRack, and finding it to be highly enjoyable.

By trade I am working as an engineer in the automotive sector. I am also learning more about music production on the side. Currently attending a course at university level to supplement my self-taught knowledge with some theoretical knowledge.

Looking forward to participating more in the community!

14 Likes

Thanks for adding more tools to the box. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello! So happy to be a part of this community!

By way of introduction: centuries ago, I was the court composer for a minor regent who had a fascination with the latest advents in music theory and instrumentation coming from the more cosmopolitan regions of the world when, as luck would have it, I stubbed my toe while getting too ā€œinto the grooveā€ while keeping time with my lead-lined conducting staff at an orchestral rehearsal. Gangrene set in shortly after and sadly that was the first time I perished.

After much pomp and circumstance, I was interred in a subterranean crypt and promptly forgotten.

Centuries went by and WWII happened. Radioactive isotopes began seeping into my crypt through the constant stalactite drips and infiltrated my crumbled casket. Finally, I awoke amidst the cacophonous bombardment far above, and the tide of polluted water under my stone casket began to deposit parts of destroyed tanks and other machines of war into my crypt. It was like Mouser if it was run by rats!

Anyway, there I was, freshly reanimated and bored in an underground crypt, surrounded by an ever growing pile of capacitors, tubes, and bits of wire; so I did what any rational ghoul would do in this situation: I invented the first modular synth!

Another half a century went by when the door to my crypt was finally unsealed by the Phantom Creeps who were flying overhead in a gigantic Bucket of Blood. They heard my music playing one night as they desperately tried to find a radio station that didnā€™t suck (how long has one of my electronic creations been broadcasting my music through the aether??). I quickly joined their adventure and have been the music director for Phantom Creep Theatre in Coney Island ever since.

10 Likes

Hey everyone! I can be found mooching about in Central Scotland and I think Iā€™ve found my new home for making annoying sounds. Iā€™ve been piddling about with Eurorack for about a year and a half after my brother-in-law and me did a mental, off-the-cuff gig in Stirling, without any songs or idea of wtf we were doing, that actually went really well :astonished:. So anyway long story short, probably about three grand later, near divorce and a hell of a lot of knob twiddling on hardware modules that I mostly built myself and now here I am, at VCV rack. Who knew that all of the above couldā€™ve been avoided :roll_eyes:, if Iā€™d only have researched a bit more before jumping headfirst.

Anyway I still have the passion for it so letā€™s give it a whirl and this time around, Iā€™ll gladly accept any and all advice from my new found mates (if youā€™ll have me.)

Cheers

8 Likes

Well, I realized I didnā€™t come here and say hello before using the board, so.

Iā€™m a 34 yo wannabe music producer from France. Lovecraft, occultism & sci-fi fan, space & dark ambient crate digger. I used VCV in version 1 and forgot about it since I had no time for music. Now Iā€™m back and determined to explore the whole free library before buying Host (Iā€™m almost halfway).

VCV helps me a lot to find magic again in music, that I have lost a long time ago by making too much music on linear DAWs. It generated a lot of pain over the years, so every thing I do inside VCV means a lot to me, in terms of creativity and is almost healing.

Iā€™m using it a lot and it wonā€™t decrease, I love what I can do with it and Iā€™m curious how far I can go in terms of musicality and overall quality (mixing etc) with only VCV and free modules.

Once Iā€™m settled (Iā€™m not, Iā€™m in a temporary place for a few months) and hassle-free I will do videos about the modules I like and the things I built with. As I have producing experience with mostly every genre of electronic music - as a hobby -, I really canā€™t wait to build more stuff and find ways to produce anything in any genre and genre-free tools for myself and the community.

See u here and there

13 Likes

hi there, my name is Marvin, my online alias is qantuum,

I am 30 years old and work in the flavour industry, I am French but live expat in Turkey.

I didnā€™t believe I could do music until I tried it in late 2016.

Actually I still canā€™t do professional-grade music, I donā€™t know how to play piano, and I only grabbed some basic music theory. I can manipulate a DAW. I wrote music code for FoxDot and AddMusicK. AddMusicK is my main hobby right now but Iā€™m considering trying again to do my own compos. Work + too many hobbies and thatā€™s why I didnā€™t seem to improve in the past 6 years.

I discover VCV today thanks to a video about sound synthesis.

Cheers, canā€™t wait to get started with this when I have week-end.

11 Likes

Hi all, for ages iā€™ve been thinking about incorporating modular synths to trigger my VJ software. Am very excited as Iā€™ve recently discovered VCV Rack and now have it triggering Isadora via midi.

Have been using Isadora (from Troikatronix) for about 10 years, together with a 64 knob Drehbank Doepfer midi controller. I setup various clocks, waveforms, counters and frequency analysis as triggers in Isadora, and use the midi-controller to adjust these and mix my visuals to the audio. I like fast cutting between videos using a square wave, adjusting the frequency and pitch in realtime. Also like using frequency analysis triggers to jump the video playhead forward/back. Hereā€™s some VJ mix samples

Am looking forward to seeing what i can do with VCV Rack

Kia Ora, Mr J

8 Likes

Kia ora,

I am from New Zealand and am looking forward to incorporating VCV rack into my ambient and electronic explorations. For 20+ years I have used Reason and CuBase.

Cheers, Chris

10 Likes

Iā€™m David, Iā€™ve been developing hardware and software for a while under the name Blush Audio.

I mainly have an electronics background, but got into C++ when developing AU/VST plugins (using the JUCE framework predominantly).

Iā€™m now really enjoying using VCV Rack in my own compositions, so thought Iā€™d have a go at developing my own modules!

15 Likes

Hi! My name is SOMA Iā€™m from Mexico and I have a little yt channel about many different things regarding vcv rack. Iā€™m amazed at the software, and the community seems friendly as well! Nice to meet you all.

Iā€™ve been a musician for 15 years and a producer for almost 4 years now. I mainly play electronic metal and electronic ambient glitch.

10 Likes

Hi, I am Koen Kaptijn, a professional musician for 25+ years from Amsterdam, the Netherlands. I discovered VCV Rack somewhere in 2018 and have been hooked to it ever since! Even so, that I quickly incorporated electronic music into my work as a performer/composer. Besides writing and performing for theatre and installations, I combine a hybrid setup with my trombone playing. I am not yet a very active community member, but visit the forum very regularly: it is a huge source of inspiration and I hope to post some my patches in the future!

9 Likes

I would love to learn more about how you incorporate brass playing live with VCV Rack.

I played French Horn for many years and always dreamed of how it might be used in electronica.

1 Like

Hi!

Watch this: https://youtu.be/1PaRconB4X8

It will get you started right away :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You might want to check out Sarah Belle Reid Double Bell Trumpet & Electronics | Sarah Belle Reid - YouTube

2 Likes

synchronicity, just thought the same :smiley: