Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

That is very cool.

I still have my first computers ā€“ an Amiga (before they came up with the 500 and 1000 monikers) ā€“ but I havenā€™t booted it in decades.

I didnā€™t do too much with music with it, but I remember being a bit frustrated by the fact that their advertised ā€œprofessional quality soundā€ was actually 8-bit!

1 Like

Iā€™m a touch confused. The A1000 was the first commercial offering, and it was labeled as that. Did you work at Commodore? Also, the early Fairlightā€™s (beaucoup bucks) were 8 bit as well, and they were certainly considered pro machines.

Amigas were my first experience with a workstation style setup with multiple concurrent shells and editors. After that it was SunOS, Solaris, and Linux for the most part.

1 Like

Good to see you here mate!

My thoughts exactly! Actually the more i use VCV Rack the more my brain is sort of getting rewired concerning the music creation process. And i am enjoying that totally! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But when I heard that 8-bit machine loud over the speakers in a club, it was like that crisp sound was made for it. Donā€™t use headphones though. :wink:

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct. The ā€œAmigaā€ was the first computer of the line. When they decided to make the 500 (integrated keyboard, IIRC) the rebranded the "Amiga: as ā€œAmiga 1000.ā€ It was the same hardware, different name.

This is itā€™s box. No 1000 to be seen.

2 Likes

WTF?

Umā€¦ have a nice day!

(BTW, in the first post I said it was just branding:

(before they came up with the 500 and 1000 monikers)

)

Actually, I donā€™t understand. Any of it.

I mentioned that I bought an Amiga, and parenthetically mentioned that it was before they came up with the name A1000. You asked for clarification and I provided it.

This triggered you for some reason.

I didnā€™t call anyone ā€œon the carpet.ā€ I didnā€™t imply anyone was a liar.

Iā€™m totally confused by your response, but we should end this discussion. Itā€™s off-topic to the thread.

I never wrote a proper introduction, but now Iā€™m contemplating starting my own music thread, you should know who you are dealing withā€¦ :slightly_smiling_face: I was of course stunned by Emersonā€™s solo on Lucky Man on the Moog Modular. And when all my favorite keyboardists here in the Netherlands started using the ARP 2500 I was sold to the synth. My first synth was a Kawai 100F and that was quite an adventure. Later, when doing a course in electronic music, I worked with the same instrument as my old favorites. I mean, not only was it an ARP 2500, but it was the very same instrument. Then there was SuperCollider, for which I wrote some nice little programs making lots of nice little noises and suddenly, two years ago, I discovered VCV Rack. The rest, as they say, is history.

4 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Hi all,

Have been playing around with VCV on and off for the last couple of yearsā€¦ What a wonderful, awesome, inspiring set of musical tools VCV is! Itā€™s like a little universe in itself!.Love it! Whoever helped to create this gift to humanity is a hero to me.

AndrƩ Maastricht, Netherlands

10 Likes

Hello, all

Just started playing with VCV Rack for a week or two now and loving it. Iā€™m a big fan of Glitch and Generative sounds. I will post some patches when I can.

fL

9 Likes

Hello everybody!

My name is KauĆŖ, I am from Brazil (currently living in Belgium, but soon moving to the Netherlands :upside_down_face:), and I have been experimenting with sound synthesis for some years using analog synths (eurorack, DIY) and coding in SuperCollider. The results of some experiments were used in sound/music projects: ATMOSFET and Sintodrama (sintodrama.bandcamp)

In the last months I started exploring VCV Rack and I realized how amazing it is with all the available and well designed plugins. Thank you and congrats to all the people involved in the development, support and maintenance! Using the tutorial information provided by the community I decided to extend some of my previous SuperCollider codes to a VCV plugin named Axioma soon to be released :slight_smile: Still not available on the VCV website but already on the github library: Axioma. I will be posting further info when itā€™s available.

Keep on developing and exploring VCV Rack!

Cheers, KauĆŖ

14 Likes

Hi everybody,

My name is Dave Hammer. I live in the UK however originally I am from the Czech Republic. I enjoy ambient generative patches but I also like techno and sentimental distorted sounds.

10 Likes

There are way more women/girls into modular and VCV Rack than post things online, likely due to male dominance, sad, but trueā€¦

Iā€™m not sure about that. Maybe Iā€™m not sensitive enough, but I really donā€™t see a machismo thing going on here. There is an occasional too spirited thread, but that generally gets tamped down. If thereā€™s any influence, I think is more likely role influence and stereotypes external to the VCV community. I.e. is it cool for a woman to be a geek? Gal nerds are absolutely fine with me; I had an female advisor who was a hard core FORTRAN nerd and contributor to NAG. The more nerds the merrier, but there is certainly bad messaging juju out there.

1 Like

Hi everyone,

I just recently stumbled over VCVRack after getting hooked to hardware modular synthesis about half a year ago. My name is Dominik, I live in Leipzig (Germany) and I just wanted to say: ā€˜Hello, VCV-Community!ā€™.

I love the Rack - I realized, wireing something up is just my kind of musical thinking - I really feel at home while doing so - in hardware or virtually.

Before diving into modular I played guitars, bass, some udu, some clarinet and synthesizers (of the 80ies/90ies-era predominantly). I am also interested in general audio-manipulation, I know my way around a mixing board, recording techniques, etc. - I am more or less a selftought amateur in most of these fields, but I am doing it for more than two decades now and have a lot of fun with it.

Music-making for me is meditation or curing of the mind or something like it - I am definetly far more into the process of making than any possible output or track at the end, although I do want to change that a bitā€¦

As far as I read through the forum and itā€™s posts, I have to say, that I am very impressed with the good manners in this part of the internetā€¦ :slight_smile: I hope I donā€™t jinx something here.

I am very glad to have found VCV and this community and I am looking forward to spending some time with you here!

I hope, I can also be of some assistance to the community in the future!

Cheers!

17 Likes

Hello to all. My name is Glenn an I am a retired Oracle / Peoplesoft technical managing consultant who now enjoys those hobbies and endeavors that I could only do once in awhile with excessive travel.

Those include Amateur Astronomy, Eurorack Modular and desktop / keyboard synthesizers, digital graphics and photographic work (pauperā€™s income), AFOL, motorcycles, SCUBA diving.

My interest in synthesis started with Arturiaā€™s V Collection version 2 that has been constantly upgraded and I have added Cherry Audioā€™s Voltage virtual modular and other synths, Lennarā€™s Sylenth, VCV Rack on MacOS and MiRack and other iPadOS synths which are far too many to name. I have no one or anything to blame for the love of synthesizers other than my extensive electronics background and a love of synth music from those like Kebu, Gary Numan, Vangelis, Azure State, Patrick Oā€™Hearn, Isao Tomita, Kraftwerk, Ian Boddy, Mars Lasar, and so many, many others using physical or virtual synths to produce music on Patreon, Bandcamp, and SoundCloud.

a.k.a., hopelessly hooked.

16 Likes

Hello VCVR(h)acker :slight_smile:

I donā€™t know much about it, but Iā€™m trying to understand ! nice to meet you

6 Likes

Hello from Toronto :wave: Itā€™s been almost a year since I started reading this site regularly, seeking to learn enough about Rack to make my first module. The development process has been a fun challenge, and Iā€™m grateful for this platform and community that has made audio programming accessible to me.

I donā€™t have modular hardware of my own, but have been excited about modular audio software since discovering stuff like Pure Data and Reaktor as a guitar-playing teenager many years ago. Apart from modularity and community, one of the things I most appreciate about Rack is the ā€œflatnessā€ or large surface area of its interface. Having to navigate a multi-track interface in Ableton Live is starting to get in my way, and I prefer Rack these days for this reason (among many others).

10 Likes

Itā€™s also a lot easier to write a VCV module than it is to write a VST. So much less boilerplate, and the UI is so much easier.

3 Likes