Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Hi! Iā€™m Greg (otherwise known as Mubali)
Iā€™m a psychedelic trance producer based in California, currently attending UC San Diego as an Interdisciplinary Computing and the Arts Major here. Iā€™ve been interested in modular synthesis for many years now after being exposed to Doepfer and some friends who were doing Eurorack, however financials prevent me from jumping down that rabbit hole currently.

Vcv Rack has been a wonderful tool to create ideas that I use in my compositions. I also like to use this as a teaching tool for teaching synthesis concepts.

Eventually, I would like to develop a module or two to add to the community, but Iā€™m not very good at programming in the traditional sense. I have developed several max for live devices and have a pretty good understanding of both Pure Data and Max/MSP, but I suck at coding.

7 Likes

hi my name is mycose, iā€™m from france.
Happy to be there thanks for all.
See you soon

4 Likes

guten tag! :slight_smile:
i am aleks from cologne/germany. i like cats, swimming and sleeping. i also like hard techno music and armenian folksongs. i manage some creative commons labels, make videos and enjoy cooking rice. i mainly use software to make music but i also have a small modular rig (mainly for instagram to impress chicks). i will leave one link here: //zimmer-records.org

5 Likes

Evening from the UK - Zero here, Been playing with Rack and on the FB group since version 0.4 - I think,
I like the forum Andrew - same style as the Manjaro forum, so Iā€™m right at home.

4 Likes

Hello, iā€™m joe! I am a musician from Italy. I use vcv rack everyday, in my compositions and studies. I donā€™t talk too much but i love this community and soon iā€™ll share some finished works!

4 Likes

YOU ARE TOP!!! @Patman

2 Likes

My name is Mason and I too live in East Tennessee. Iā€™ve been making horrendous noise for decades and have used VCV since v0.3. Thank you developers for these tools from one whoā€™s always wanted to work with Eurorack but never to spend that amount of money.

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m henry from Toronto, Canada.

I make minimal wave/ebm inspired dark techno. Well to say I ā€œmakeā€ it is quite an overstatement. I start then get lost in sound design. Which is completely fine with me. Been using Rack since the beginning and am constantly amazed at the community that has developed around this great product.

4 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m Jonathan, from Canada.
Started with music with computers really and have been moving into hardware more and more over the years. Found Rack when Andrew mentioned it on Muffs and have been using it ever since. Mainly just on a Surface Pro while Iā€™m binging netflix on my couch.
Good to be here :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My name is Adi, living in Chicago & back to school at Rush University for Vascular Ultrasound. Always loved making music as a hobby, played sax, guitar, djā€™d house/techno/d&b/hiphop, was a Reason user back when it first came out, then Logic until it no longer supported Windows, then Ableton. But I never fully understood synthesizers & sound design past presets and the occasional modulation of a cutoff knob or an adsr until VCV Rack came out and forced me to think in new and exciting ways about music. Now my daw collects dust, full on addicted to VCV and modular synthesis, and iā€™m ready to drop a small fortune on some eurorack gear one day. However, I still donā€™t think iā€™ve found my modular identity yet, so have just been doing random genres to learn different techniques over the past year from everyone in the facebook group who iā€™ve grown to admire along with all the developers who make this new love in my life possible. And geez, this forum looks amazing, thanks Andrew and contributors!

6 Likes

Hi All
I am Brett aka Axell on FB. Very new to VCV but loving it! I live in Wales where it always rains, so plenty of indoor time! I am a senior lecturer in Computer science/Media Production and Games Development when I stumbled upon VCV , researching software for my students to use for their up and coming modules. I have been a bass player in my youth but Modular synth music has always fascinated me but never had the opportunity to buy or use the equipment. This has now given me the opportunity :smile: I look forward to being creative and have been blown away by the help received and the fantastic compositions that Iā€™ve heard from the communityā€¦

Thanks to all for your help and especially Andrew Belt for this wonderful software

6 Likes

HI, iā€™m raffaman.
I support vcv rack from the beginning, when it was a very little but promising community and new born project. I live in Italy, Rome. My music style goes from reggae, dub and lounge music, but with a huge love and passion for electronic music, in particular for ambient, drone music. A think that modular environment is special for this kind of music, and VCV rack opened a new world of possibilities: I learnead a lot in the last year and community, video tutorials, patch e the energy of this wonderful group is amazing. GO VCV RACK GO
Happy Patching

PS: in andy is interested i have also experience as community moderator: iā€™d like to be useful and help this community to grow.

6 Likes

Hi, Iā€™m David, a software developer from the UK. I make almost no music using VCVRack because every time I sit down to do so, I think; ā€œI really want a module to doā€¦ā€ And then I go and write one. I publish modules under the Submarine label.

20 Likes

Itā€™s nice to see a community developing beyond the Facebook groups!

My name is Wes, Iā€™m a designer who has collaborated with @Vortico on the VCV plugins, branding, website, etc since the first release of Rack. Itā€™s been amazing to watch this platform grow exponentially and become such a useful tool for so many people. For a designer, seeing people use what you create is one of the most rewarding experiences.

I have been making Eurorack modules and alternate panels as Grayscale since 2013 and more recently Iā€™ve created a new brand called 1979 which is focused on the Buchla format.

Prior to my life being taken over by modular synthesizers I worked as a UI/UX designer, studied architecture, did a lot of photography, and curated some art exhibitions. The irony of working on musical instruments (both physical and virtual) is that you donā€™t have a lot of time left for recording music but my Soundcloud has quite a few recordings from years past.

19 Likes

Greetings. I am Santiago Peraza, born and living in Uruguay (South America).

I am one of the people who have the classic ā€œI never had the money to buy anything Modular so I found out about VCV Rackā€ type of backstory, and with good reason.

Being a user since 0.6.0, I canā€™t be as happy as I am with this piece of software, capable of things real Modular canā€™t even get close without costing as much as a Ferrari bathed in gold.

I donā€™t have much to say except I like to save HP and going for the least amount of modules (I have around 7 patches of just using 3 modules plus Core Audio)

5 Likes

Hi everyone! Iā€™m Tom from Vancouver (by way of Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, DC and Toronto). Iā€™ve been using VCV Rack for over a year, but Iā€™ve really only gotten deep into it in the last couple of months, in large part due to this amazing and supportive community. Hardware synths, especially modular, are generally out of the question in my typical small Vancouver apartment, so Rack is a fantastic alternative. I was raised on a steady diet of metal and hardcore, but like many old punks, Iā€™ve gravitated to house and techno over the years, and I find the ideas come much more quickly with Rack than with a traditional DAW/VST setup. Itā€™s made me excited about making music in a way I havenā€™t felt in a long time. I donā€™t know if Iā€™ll contribute much to the discussion, but I look forward to your posts, videos and patches, and especially to seeing where all this goes!

6 Likes

Hi RackHeadz! I am Cy Ball. I live in Denver, Colorado, USA. I never played with modular synthesis before discovering and using VCV Rack. Now, Iā€™m totally addicted. If you are interested, you can look at my blog at https://cyrilfb.com/. There you can find links to my soundcloud, my YouTube channel and my bandcamp channel.
I worked as a software developer since 1969. I am retired now and took up electronic music as a retirement hobby (love it!)

6 Likes

My name is Jeff, Iā€™m living in Seattle and The brief exposure I had in the early 80ā€™s working with an ARP 2600 and a gigantic (at least in my memory) EMU Modular system. has haunted me ever sinceā€¦ I have dabbled in eurorack and have the humble beginnings on one 3U boxā€¦ but mostly I lust after people with large rack systems that are perpetually out of my financial reachā€¦ So when I encountered VCVrackā€¦ I was (and still am) like a 3 yr old in a ginormous 100 story candy store. for a ā€œ3 year oldā€ Iā€™m a dufiusā€¦ metaphorically speakingā€¦ I feel like Iā€™m STILL fiddling with the Candy jar locks! I dabble with 3 different DAWs, (Ableton live suite is probably the most used) Reason and Cubase. I also play the fiddle and banjo (old time) ā€¦seems like the opposite end of the universe. Sometimes Iā€™m frustrated because I struggle to find the right tool in Dr. Tā€™s 5000 fingered tool box! Still, VCV Rack so far has yielded some very sublime momentsā€¦ Iā€™m forever thankful for that! and I will always be dabbling in it.

6 Likes

Hi i am a random guy and i support free access to knowledge.Very happy for what Andrew and devs doing with vcvrack.

5 Likes

Hello,

Iā€™m Adrian Giddings on the Facebook (curse itā€™s real name policy, so dull). VJ for temp0rary and This Is Radio Silence and open souce enthusiast (Blender / Gimp / Inkscape / Krita).

Making my first first temtative steps to my own music with Rack and as of today building my first midi controller with OpenDeck.

4 Likes