Member Introductions šŸ˜ƒ

Where abouts in Iowa? I am just curious as I thought I was the only person in Iowa that was into modular synthesis hah, have yet to meet a single person that knows what I am talking about when I bring it up.

2 Likes

I was replying to a reply of a reply of a comment from someone who said they ā€œlive in the only state in the us with 4 letters, Utahā€. I live in Illinois. haha!

1 Like

Iā€™m Drew I live in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Im a retired electrician with a passion in electronic music. I have a room full of keyboards, synthesizers, and sequencers.
Love sound shaping, morphing 1 sound into a new sound. I can spend hours with 1 note and a sequencer.
Always been interested in modular synthesis and love my MS20 emulation .
Hope to get to know you all and learn from all the pros here

9 Likes

Hi all,

Iā€™m David from Catalonia.

Iā€™ve been deejaying and compulsively buying records for more than 15 years, specially techno and ambient stuff.

I guess that, as many fellow djs, I some time felt the need to do the music myself or ay least try it. So I installed Ableton first and after a while I started buying gear. A TR8 first, a Blofeld later, Microbrute, one pedalā€¦ Etc etc but I always wanted to add some elements sounding a bit more weird and organical at the same time so I started investigating and realised that many of my favourite musicians have always at least a little rack around in their studio.
Modular world seems very difficult and expensive to me and, although I know a little bit about synthesis, I didnā€™t know where should I start from. Thatā€™s when someone recommended me to try VCV to get an idea about what kind of modules would cover my needs.
I thought ā€œhuh, another free pluginā€¦ Letā€™s try it but I donā€™t think Iā€™m going to like Itā€¦ā€ I was so wrong!!! VCV sounds surprisingly well, much more than what I expected. I still have a lot to learn. I donā€™t control the sounds nor the patching yet but I amb already using some sounds on my tunes soā€¦ Many thanks!

I am also tired of FB and was looking for a decent forum for a while so thatā€™s another reason to me to be here now. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll be able to teach or explain anything you donā€™t know so you wonā€™t see me posting often. Thatā€™s why I think I should say at least Hi and thanks to everyone!

10 Likes

Hello
My name is Nathan, I just got addicted to synthesizers about two years ago. It started out harmless enough, bought a n0coast and got my feet wet; something I did occasionally in my spare time every couple weeks.:thinking::thinking:. Then I started needing more modules, Iā€™ve become a daily user, since discovering vcv rack a couple of months ago, things have taken a turn for the worst, I stay up all night patching and laughing at the crazy alien b movie sound effects that emanate from my computer. My name is nathan, and Iā€™m an addict.:grin::thinking::thinking::notes::notes::heart::nerd_face:

6 Likes

@guitfiddles I think you are in good company :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m Frank and I live in Cologne, Germany. Iā€™m an old freelance programmer, business Java applications, desktop and embedded C++ applications, FPGA programming in VHDL, microcontroller projects with firmware etc. In my spare time I do pretty much the same besides hiking, and recently I developed a plugin for VCV Rack with the Frank Buss Formula and Shaker modules (available in the VCV Rack library). I can play the piano a little bit as well, hope to learn more, but I guess Iā€™m too old for this, and Iā€™m not a musician anyway. But I like to listen to music, 80s synth pop style is still my favorite (Madonna, early Depeche Mode etc., and electronic music pioneers like Kraftwerk). Maybe Iā€™ll have some more spare time later this year to create more modules for VCV Rack, for all the people out there who are actually musicians and who can create cool music with it.

7 Likes

Iā€™m Martin and I live in the Shetland Islands. Currently study art at college. I make music to go along with my brush work. Trained in electronics and worked as an engineer in audio visual before it all went digital so VCV software is my thing. Found the link in Rick Snomanā€™s excellent book ā€˜Dance Music Manualā€™ (4th ed) You can find my music at https://metapop.com/dewar Happy patching peeps.

7 Likes

What is your favorite module so far vltchkr?

Too old? donā€™t you know us old folks are in again? its cool to be old with VCV rack even tough its the young folks who get all the cool gigs. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Even though I canā€™t seem to string together more than 30 seconds of semi-controlled noise, sometimes I imagine my fat, balding, 61-year-old self thoughtfully sticking wires into little holes in some dark, basement dive as chin scratching intellectuals ponder the noise in amazement.

And then I imagine some young hip human wandering in, taking a look at me and incredulously muttering ā€œWTF?!ā€

5 Likes

That should be your aim. What else would you be shooting for if not ā€œWTFā€?

6 Likes

Hi folks! Ferdinand here, from Germany (Munich). Am a great fan of poly-expression instruments (e.g. MPE) like Linnstrument, Eigenharp, Continuum and Seaboard. All these instruments have in common that you can alter a note while it is playing in several dimensions like pitch, timbre and volume - per finger.

VCV Rack v1 is SO awesome for that purpose, now that poly cables are in - thanks so much!

We have a forum where we talk about all these instruments and matching software since a few months: https://community.polyexpression.com/ Itā€™s an all non-commercial just-for-fun, made by fans of these instruments to have a place to share knowledge. (As different as these instruments are in detail, many aspects, particularly when it comes to software support, are pretty identical). Interested people are always welcome to have a look or join!

6 Likes

Glad to hear MPE is considered ā€œworkingā€. Still a few more features and testing to do on that though.

2 Likes

My name is Jared, Iā€™m from the Los Angeles areaā€¦
Iā€™m 65 got my first synth at 15 an ARP 2600.
Went to school in Utahā€¦ At the U of U studied and became teaching assistant to Dr. Vladimir Ussachevskyā€¦ While in Utah I worked for Steiner-Parkerā€¦ Moved back to California Went to work for 360 Systems (GTR Synth) and Linn Electronicsā€¦ Became a recording engineer 40 gold and 20 platinum record credits as an engineerā€¦ Back in the 80ā€™s was the Engineer who got multitrack tapes and mixed them down to either 8 or 16 trks to go into New England Digital Direct 2 Disk Synclavier so the Artist could go on the road with backing tracks from the Synclavā€¦

in 89 I hit a telephone pole in an auto accident was laid up for about 2 yearsā€¦

Today Iā€™m a freelance AV tech and a member of IATSE Local 33 the stagehand union in Los Angelesā€¦

16 Likes

JahRed you are WAYYYYYYY up there in skillz and experience. Looking forward to seein you patches and ideas. Welcome!

ā€œBack in the 80ā€™s was the Engineer who got multitrack tapes and mixed them down to either 8 or 16 trks to go into New England Digital Direct 2 Disk Synclavier so the Artist could go on the road with backing tracks from the Synclavā€

which artist? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Paula Abdul. Janet Jackson, Milli Vanilli just a few

1 Like

You didnā€™t put Milli Vanilliā€™s vocals in the Synclavier too then ? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi! Trond here from Norway. IĀ“ve had computer music as a hobby for many years. Mostly living in the DAW where I also try to learn more around mixing and mastering audio. I prefer to work with a limited amount of instruments/plugins and have lately been focusing on Repro. So VCV Rack felt like a natural place to explore. Just getting started reading documentation and watching video instructions/performances!

9 Likes