Live looping and real time input audio processing

Hi,
Have you any tips to live looping patches with real instruments and voice? I’ve recently found luppolo modules from sonus modular. Did anyone try it? I didn’t find any tutorial for that. Have you utilized midi device for params control, soundcard inputs for audio and e.g. some patched drones, rythms, etc. in vcv single patch (if so, what about performance/glitches)?
Thanks in advanced, wish you best new rackyear,
Jan

1 Like

I use my Alesis VI49 and BeatstepPro knobs to control parameters via the MIDI-CC module have had no problems. For now 28 knobs in total are enough for my patches.
The pads in the VI49 are another story. They can be set in note mode or in CC mode, but in CC they only send short pulses and are not enough for most CV inputs to take the signal all the time, but on note mode they send a gate and i’m able to control other gates and triggers with it. I use them in note mode with the MIDI-Trig module to control the Luppolo modules for some vocal loops, and have no problem with that. My only problem is related to my laptop and the processing power of it, as if I start to have a patch too big it starts stuttering unless I increase the block size, which then adds a lot of latency (both audio and MIDI signals) and makes it really difficult to do any loop in time with the patch.

1 Like

Again, don’t ask for the manuals (they’re being written… eventually), but @synthi 's NYSTHI Complex/Quad/Confusing Simplers have some recording capacity (I believe Confusing can even overdub?)

1 Like

Latency is too high on my system for live looping, but I had some good results looping guitar on an external effects pedal, then recording into Reaper and mangling into oblivion through Rack via the bridge plugin. Maybe not what you’re after but a good source of crazy mashed up sounds.

Also, Confusing Simpler makes a great random delay effect if you toggle record on and off with a square LFO where the freq is modulated by something else. Add clouds and Vult filters for an ambient win.

1 Like

for delay with sampler, that you can clock and do ON OFF or REVERSe… I suggest

nysthi::clockabledelay
1 Like

Hi Jan, I’m still setting up my DAW for screencasting, got it to route audio and video with an old version of Camtasia, but I’m rather trying to switch to OBS Studio, then I hope to be able to assemble one simple experimental patch with Luppolo that I’m working on.
In the meantime, you can take a look at this awesome tutorial Talking Rackheads Episode #3 by Nigel aka The Art Of Sound.
The tutorial is focused on Luppolo3, which features 3 parallel recording/looping tracks working in sync, with one master track and two slave tracks, so you can record and layer 3 loops within one single instance of the module. The tutorial basically makes use of sequencer, clock and sequential switch to pilot the recording and playing in Luppolo3, and everything is explained with the superb style of Nigel talks.

1 Like

I’m trying to put together a eurorack system based around vocal looping and manipulation. When does latency become a problem? Do you have any tips on how I can avoid that issue?