Lindenberg Research Announcements Thread

Thanks for reporting, I will try to reproduce this here. Could you send my the whole logfile to: heapdump@icloud.com please? Thanks in advance, Patrick.

1 Like

im getting excited about this

Hi there, Juste noticed that since this morning the Lindenberg modules appears to be grayed out in my rack libraryā€¦ Does the beta 3 period just expired? Cheers Vinz

1 Like

Hi, Iā€™m experiencing the exact same problem on Linux (Arch) in Bitwig 4.3 Beta 3, with the same way to reproduce it. @heapdump do you need a logfile? Itā€™s the same as the one reported above.

1 Like

oops beta expiredā€¦is release version coming anytime soon?

2 Likes

Well sadly, Iā€™m still struggling to fix that bitwig issue :frowning: what prevents me from an official release. But I will prepare a new beta tomorrow, so that people can go on using their patches. Thanks for your patience!

16 Likes

Proper

Did you drop a bug report at Bitwig as well? Seems itā€™s not the only module that has this problem.

I used to see this issue in Bitwig a lot with plugins that had not implemented the font/image loading changes required for the VST - not saying thatā€™s the issue here, just mentioning it in case itā€™s useful.

2 Likes

Any news on a new beta?

1 Like

Itā€™s almost like the devs from back in the day are bowing outā€¦

2 Likes

this is a problem with proprietary software. if this was open source, someone could fork it. now people have patches that canā€™t be used because of arbitrary limits.

8 Likes

caveat here - Iā€™m reading between the lines a bit and am responding to the tone I perceived, not necessarily the words in and of themselvesā€¦

I agree for the most part, and it is understandably frustrating to put effort into a patch that you like, and then have it become unavailable. But I think it is more constructive to talk about the advantage of open source rather than the problem with proprietary. And the beta lifespan limit is not arbitrary - I suspect it would be difficult to enforce payment for the premium plugin upon release if there is a functioning free beta version out in the wild.

Nothing wrong with encouraging free and open source. But I donā€™t think we should discourage the choice of proprietary and/or premium for those that decide it is the best way for them.

3 Likes

respectfully disagree. this case is an example of what exactly is wrong with drm. itā€™s treating the (potential) customer as a criminal.

i would happily pay patrick for his modules, because they are excellent. but now iā€™m locked out for no good reason at all. being generous to beta testers would go a long way.

and vcv rack has such a healthy ecosystem of third-party plugins exactly because of its open source nature. that is something we should cherish and encourage. and yes, i think that the other side of that coin is discouraging proprietary software.

2 Likes

thankfully vcv 1 still works great :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, I can understand that it must be frustrating when youā€™re working on a patch and then you canā€™t open it again because of an expired beta.

But maybe people miss out an important fact: This is just beta-testing; these versions are not meant for productive working and you should not create any serious work depending on a plugin which is in beta state. It could also be that a bug may crashing your patches or a feature will work different in a future version preventing a patch to work like it did in an early beta. And btw. thatā€™s one reason why I time-limit betas: to avoid that old versionā€™s flying around.

But the main reason is, of course, to prevent users from bypassing the commercial version and simply continuing to use the beta. But this is not to be seen as ā€œcriminalā€, but rather as human. Letā€™s face it, most people would just keep using the beta. :slight_smile:

Nevertheless I donā€™t want to deny that some users would still buy the plugin out of conviction and to support the developer.

Unfortunately I had not much time for this project, sorry. But I think I will release a working version soon, so stay tuned. A beta will come this week.

11 Likes

Of course. But you may forget that for some plugins I spend a lot of time researching and testing DSP that it sound good and at that point I decided to save my intellectual property.

6 Likes

i am well aware that you have put a lot of work into this. your modules both sound and look exquisitely fine. so, clearly you deserve to be rewarded for your work.

but there are two issues here, one practical and one ideological.

i donā€™t think weā€™re going to agree on the ideological issue (that software should always be open source and that drm is evil as it punishes the customer). feel free to ignore that, as it is a larger discussion that should take place separately and this thread is not the best place for that. besides, vcv rack clearly allows closed source plugins, so itā€™s your free choice.

the other issue is a practical one: the fact that the betas expire and a new one is not immediately available. i would suggest that if you canā€™t commit to timely releases (which i can totally understand), you should give beta-testers a more generous license. they also provide a service for you, by testing the plugin and giving you bug reports and other feedback. make the test period say six months, and you will generate a lot of goodwill (which is now being lost because of the interruptions), that should result in sales once you get to the release.

3 Likes

Donā€™t all paid modules use drm? I donā€™t know, never made oneā€¦

1 Like

Not all I think. Rack has its own DRM method which developers can optionally add to their commercial modules.

Not sure if DRM in the context of this thread just refers to closed source.