Lindenberg Research Announcements Thread

Yeah this has been an amazing day. No problems to report. Just pure great sounds out of the box. And Sangster with the lights off! Dude. Awesome work Patrick. Thanks!

1 Like

One thing that came up: When the Sally high pass filter is left resonating when closing a patch it stays completely silent when opening up that patch again, you then have to turn down the resonance, close and open the patch again and itā€™s working again. I noticed the same behaviour in Rack 1 a while ago. I think some Vult Filters behave the same way and itā€™s not too much of a problem if you know you have to turn down the resonance and restart to fix it.

Thanks for reporting, I will check it tomorrow.

Working absolutely fine for me on Windows, thanks! Great to have Sangster back in v2 with itā€™s unique gritty dub delay feedback. I made a small donation last week, cheers. :ok_hand:

Ed

1 Like

I think itā€™s actually the cutoff of the HP being above the cutoff of the LP, not the resonance. Didnā€™t test thouroughly, but the last times this happened it seemed to be that setting and not the resonance.

Yes, I saw it, thanks for that! :hugs:

Sorry for the delay of the Beta-2 - I was a bit busy. Hope to get it done till Fridayā€¦ stay tuned!

5 Likes

Hi Patrick,

Iā€™m getting this message when starting Rack. Were you able to release a new build?

yup, started to complain this morning, was fine yesterdayā€¦

Also: [3.406 warn src/plugin.cpp:207 loadPlugin] Could not load plugin /Users/<me>/Documents/Rack2/plugins/LindenbergResearch: Manifest contains module VCO but it is not defined in plugin

Beta1 on MacOS 11.6.4, Rack 2.1.0 Pro

That seems like a strange way of doing business. Beta versions with a self-destruct mechanism? Never heard of any users being happy with thatā€¦

2 Likes

I just added a ā€žbest beforeā€œ just to avoid that people reporting bugs of outdated versions, or work with old stuff. I will post a beta-2 today, no worries :wink:

4 Likes

I am sorry for the inconvenience :man_mechanic:t3:

1 Like

Mimestream app doing this. Imho, this is good way to reduce version segmentation across user base in beta software, if you push updates frequently and there is at least one new version at the time message pops up, otherwise it is just frustrating for users.

Hereā€™s my view on that: Disabling a functional module for users is never Ok. Popping up a message saying thereā€™s probably a newer one is fine, although it would annoy me if there actually isnā€™t a newer one.

2 Likes

Please remember that this is a beta-version, only for testing, it is NOT a release for serious production. You should also always backup you patches, because of bugs which may be still there. Also things can change in the next version so that patches may behave different etc. The idea of a beta version is just to help the developer to identify bugs to improve quality and stability.

3 Likes

Thanks so much.

1 Like

I totally get that itā€™s a beta version Patrick but I stand by what I said above. Here is how I think useful betas work:

• Alpha/beta/preview versions are both for the developer and the user.
  • The developer gets to identify bugs and misfeatures before the release, and receives useful input from users.
  • Users get to play with the new stuff, submit useful input and bug reports.
  • The developer has a plugin/beta/announcements thread and each time thereā€™s a new beta they announce: New beta version x here: (link). Fixes x, y, z, adds a, b, c. Bug reports against the new beta please.
  • The user can update to the new beta when theyā€™re ready. No need to disable modules or pop up annoying messages. That respects the users.

Letā€™s try to keep in mind that Patrick is not doing business hereā€¦ not only are these modules betas, they are also free. You neednā€™t look far to find worthy software projects that have been discontinued, handed off, or made not-free &/or closed-source in response to the chorus of feedback (solicited and non-, constructive and non-, well-meaning and just mean) their creators received on the decisions they made along the way. Iā€™m sure no one offering their opinions here intends to dissuade them from making these modules we all enjoy using. But perhaps we should roll-off the feedback a little here before thatā€™s what ends up happening.

1 Like

I donā€™t buy your premise. But sure, any developer should feel free to let users know how much feedback they want - ā€œI donā€™t want feedbackā€ is also valid, but then betas are not really needed.

Time-limited betas that stop working after a time are usually always clearly communicated as such.