Lindenberg Research Announcements Thread

Mimestream app doing this. Imho, this is good way to reduce version segmentation across user base in beta software, if you push updates frequently and there is at least one new version at the time message pops up, otherwise it is just frustrating for users.

Here’s my view on that: Disabling a functional module for users is never Ok. Popping up a message saying there’s probably a newer one is fine, although it would annoy me if there actually isn’t a newer one.

2 Likes

Please remember that this is a beta-version, only for testing, it is NOT a release for serious production. You should also always backup you patches, because of bugs which may be still there. Also things can change in the next version so that patches may behave different etc. The idea of a beta version is just to help the developer to identify bugs to improve quality and stability.

3 Likes

Thanks so much.

1 Like

I totally get that it’s a beta version Patrick but I stand by what I said above. Here is how I think useful betas work:

• Alpha/beta/preview versions are both for the developer and the user.
  • The developer gets to identify bugs and misfeatures before the release, and receives useful input from users.
  • Users get to play with the new stuff, submit useful input and bug reports.
  • The developer has a plugin/beta/announcements thread and each time there’s a new beta they announce: New beta version x here: (link). Fixes x, y, z, adds a, b, c. Bug reports against the new beta please.
  • The user can update to the new beta when they’re ready. No need to disable modules or pop up annoying messages. That respects the users.

Let’s try to keep in mind that Patrick is not doing business here… not only are these modules betas, they are also free. You needn’t look far to find worthy software projects that have been discontinued, handed off, or made not-free &/or closed-source in response to the chorus of feedback (solicited and non-, constructive and non-, well-meaning and just mean) their creators received on the decisions they made along the way. I’m sure no one offering their opinions here intends to dissuade them from making these modules we all enjoy using. But perhaps we should roll-off the feedback a little here before that’s what ends up happening.

1 Like

I don’t buy your premise. But sure, any developer should feel free to let users know how much feedback they want - “I don’t want feedback” is also valid, but then betas are not really needed.

Time-limited betas that stop working after a time are usually always clearly communicated as such.

You can download the Beta-2 here:

Apple:

Windows:

Linux will come later this evening or tomorrow.

I am quite busy, so I didn’t add release notes, but a lot of things have been fixed, improved based on bug reports.

I will comment here later, when I have time to do so, my job is currently more important because that saves my daily breed and butter. :wink:

This beta will work till 01.03. - I keep the time restriction but always will communicate how long betas available - more on this later.

Cheers, Patrick.

6 Likes

Three hour beta??

I really appreciate that you are porting these to v2 and look forward to the full release. I think the more important question might be, can we keep the Public Beta blank panel? So cool! :grinning:

1 Like

hmm, that is only 4.75 hours left…

1 Like

Sorry, April of course! :laughing:

2 Likes

Here are the Linux version: (Many thanks to @the1andonlydrno for compiling!) :slight_smile:

Cheers

2 Likes

Patrick, I noticed that the knobs on your modules no longer have the inner pointer to indicate their value when adjusted or modulated by CV. I found this to be a very useful (and fairly distinctive) feature. Any chance of bringing it back?

3 Likes

I am curious if laika, sally, alma, valerie and other modules will be getting the polyphonic treatment?

Edit: yo! that new Sangster Graphic is DOPE AF! Some serious Vanilla Ice shit right there.

I had to drop it, because it was badly coded and didn’t fit into the current design of the knobs. But I there is an alternative solution which is just not implemented due to priorities. I am quite busy right now. But it will come back, definitely! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good question. The main goal for the release of a V2 version was to bring back the mudules to v2 with a bunch of improvements. Supporting polyphony isn’t as easy as it may looks like, so it’s a time consuming task - but after and after it will become polyphony, yes.

7 Likes

That was always my favorite feature of Patrick’s modules. I wondered why more module designers didn’t incorporate this into their knobs. I’ll often use Stoermelder’s MAP module, even when it would be easier to just use CV-in modulation, because MAP actually turns the knob — so you can clearly see the range of modulation.

1 Like

So I put the vcvplugin file in the Rack2/plugins folder, the log.txt file says “Loaded LindenbergResearch v2.0.beta2” but the modules don’t show up in the module browser. I can use the modules if I load an old Rack1 project in Rack2 that has the modules though. What am I doing wrong?