JP Announcements Thread

From @joopvanderlinden and Path Set come two new plugins that mix composition techniques with modular aesthetics. Harness sequencers that can react to your melodies like a jazz musician improvising on compositions. Blend rhythmic subdivisions with weighted note pools to author or randomize rich melodies that mutate over time.

JPLab is a premium collection contains with three main sequencers, a utility module, and a bonus expander.

• Four Track ‐ Program 4‐voice melodies or chords.
  • Improv - Jazz companion. Add notes to the keyboard and it adds them to the sequence.
  • Star Matrix - Fully control transition chance between any note block.
  • Navigator ‐ Sequence events with two gates and two CVs and a bit of randomness.
  • Counter Point ‐ Expand any main JP sequencer with an extra voice using delay, regression or inversion.

JPFree is a free collection containing Jr versions of the JPLab sequencers and the Shift & Shuffle expander which works on any main JP sequencer, even those in JPLab.

The stylish manuals describe the rich features these modules have to offer. And if one of those features happens to be broken please report an issue.

Thank you to everyone who helped test these modules!

29 Likes

Congrats on getting these done @Patheros , @joopvanderlinden ! More gems for us to explore :smiley:

2 Likes

Congratulations Andrew and Joop! It was a great pleasure to be a part of the long testing phase of these. These are some really serious generative modules with a lot of depth to some of them. Very enjoyable and fun to use, and I know that I will personally use these a lot in my future music making. And thanks for the great manuals!

3 Likes

I am very proud of the set, and I am sure Andrew feels the same! Looking forward to see what everybody is creating with our modules.

7 Likes

Yay! Congrats on the release! These were fun to test, thanks for including me! :smiley:

2 Likes

Congratulations on these. I do a lot of stuff using random variation of programmed sequences (i.e. I add a random amount to the pitch CV before quantizing) and they sound a lot like a certain kind of jazz player. Mostly they do Miles-era Joe Zawinul groovy vamping.

But these look right up my alley.

2 Likes

Having a hiccup today, I have a patch testing out Star Matrix (lovely sequencer) and cannot seem to add 4 TRACK, as it crashes and closes each time I try to add it. I’m running VCV pro 2.4.1 standalone on WIN 10.

testing a bit more, it seems I can add any module except 4 Track without hiccup, insta-crash with 4 Track.

log.txt (118.8 KB)

I tried it out just now, and it happens here too.

Well, it made me get familiar with Three Track today, not a bad thing. I see some opportunities to pair these streams of cv with Jooper too, lol. I’m sure it will get ironed out soon.

1 Like

4-Track causing VCV to hard exit; all others load fine Win10Pro, VCV Pro (latest).

(EDIT) Just built a patch with Three Track and and the free Matrix: it worked well right up until “poof!” VCV exited.

log.txt (290.7 KB)

vcv 2.4.1 pro on win11

Thank you all for reporting the Four Track crash. We have an issue on github to track it

Four Track module v 2.0.0 crashes Rack when added to a patch. · Issue #2 · patheros/JPManuals · GitHub.

Unfortunately it looks like its going to be a pain to track down. If your interested in the details on why you can check out this thread.

These modules seem really cool. One question : does the paid version contain all the modules from the free version, just in bigger ? In the free collection, I see the “Shift and Shuffle Expander”, but I don’t see it in the paid version. Will I have to still subscribe to the free version too after buying the paid version to have them all? Thanks

The paid version has basically the three sequencers, but in a bigger version. Next to that in the paid version there’s the event sequencer Navigator. The shift and shuffle expander is in the free version, as is Navi, which can do a few nice tricks, so yes, it’s best to subscribe to the free version too.

2 Likes

If you just want the unique modules from the free collection, you can add them specifically by going to each of their pages and pressing the add button in the upper right

You may first have to unsubscribe from the free plugin here

no sure if this helps but version 2.0.-9127965 doesn’t crash Rack. Tested standalone VCV as well as running in Reaper. Both on Windows.

Version 2.0.1 which is out in the library now, should fix the crash with FourTrack. Please let me know if it doesn’t.

6 Likes

Works for me under Win11. Thanks.

1 Like

Seems to be fixed, I did have one crash as I tried to copy sequence from sequencer to expander. And then when I reopened no more crashes, but I did notice there is no copying of sequence data from main sequencer to the expanders, which would be most helpful to me.

great sequencers, I love the range of available rhythms and use of note names and the keyboard note entry tool, just well thought out stuff

1 Like

You actually can already copy and paste blocks from the sequencer to the expander (or any other partial set). I made this video to show you how

Directions:
Step 1. Hold Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) and drag mouse over blocks you want to copy
Step 2. Right click and select “Copy Blocks”
Step 3. Right click and select “Clear Selected”
Step 4. Hold Ctrl (Cmd on Mac) and drag mouse over blocks you want to replace
Step 5. Right click and select “Paste Blocks”

If you get the crash again you can report it here Issues · patheros/JPManuals · GitHub

4 Likes