Introducing MindMeld ShapeMaster

mindmeld makes my mind melt

9 Likes

Great stuff. Reminds me of Fathomsynth (semi-modular Synthesizer plugin)

Fathomsynth contains many great and unique features. Not just in the domain of Modulation, but also in the domain of Oscillators (and more). https://www.fathomsynth.com/oscillators

3 Likes

woah, the similarity in the UI is uncanny. Shows that good solutions to problems tend to rise to the top.

1 Like

indeed, I had not seen that during development, interesting parallels!

1 Like

you’re shade of blue is better :smiley:

I just watched @Omri_Cohen introduction. Thanks! We should start a dedicated thread for ShapeMaster-only patches :wink:

6 Likes

Me neither - had neither seen nor heard of it :slight_smile:

This module is so awesome that The Borg will triangulate under our insane MSEG powers.

4 Likes

could we please return this announcement thread to its original purpose, and put the hijacks somewhere else?

6 Likes

Sorry. You are right.This is an announcement. I got triggered by the similarity in the GUI/functionality.

1 Like

This is awesome, I have got so much out of this in the last hour, cant wait to get to sit down with the manual and some time.

4 Likes

Holy crap guys, this looks awesome :open_mouth: If I’m reading it right it’s rife for self-patching as well

5 Likes

Congratulations! :+1:

A true masterpiece with the potential to occupy a prominent place in my future patches.

4 Likes

Woah so much love in this thread :smiley:
Sorry couldn’t be here at the release party, cause of work outdoors.

Congrats MindMeld family :smiley: :vulcan_salute:t4:
Finally we can talk about this fabulous piece of work :partying_face: :sweat_smile:

It’s been a wild ride, now lets all enjoy this superrrrrrrrrrr versatily tool!

7 Likes

Absolutely massive module for all our modulation wishes. Such an addition to VCV rack lifts it to even higher states. Thank you!

5 Likes

Here are a couple of tunes that were done during testing of ShapeMaster.
There will be explainer videos of these later.

In this one all sequencing and arranging is done in the ShapeMaster’s , except for the 303’ish pitch sequence that one worked better in PhraseSeq in this occasion:

And in this one, everything was sequenced and shaped in the ShapeMaster’s , all drums are generated either from noise or with the VCF’s in resonance:

10 Likes

Yes, you can generate sound by using one channel as an OSC (even select a root note for it), then route that OSC into a shaper channel, then send it out to filers etc, modulate those with a couple of the other channels, route that signal back and
 shape it again :slight_smile:

And many other ways of selfpatching :vulcan_salute:t4:

3 Likes

Having had some time to spend with it, this module is just ridiculous. By way of analogy: if most ADSRs/LFOs and other shape generators are like a hatchet, this thing is scalpel. The precision and ease with which you can craft envelopes is amazing.

Although you can do all sorts of crazy stuff with it, it’s awesome for the simple things too. Stuff like “I want a filter sweep over exactly two bars” can be surprisingly cumbersome to achieve. With ShapeMaster it would take you about 5 seconds and if you wanted to change that to 4 bars it would take you a single parameter change.

What’s so great about modules like this is that it gives me one more reason to not have to open up a DAW. Precise automation is one of those areas where DAWs have always excelled compared with modular, whereas this considerably closes the gap – arguably, the workflow and interface is actually superior to what you’d get in most professional DAWs while still retaining the spontaneity and ‘magic’ that we all love about modular.

Kudos to the devs, this is one of the great’s of Rack!

7 Likes

while I agree with what you are saying. Have you checked out the Grid feature in Bitwig? Sort of like coming at the same issue from another angle - instead of making vcv more DAW like, it is adding modular features to a DAW. I honestly hate using VCV as a DAW (and I use real instruments as well as sequenced tracks), which is why I’m eagerly anticipating the VST version. The bitwig/grid + vcv combination will be pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Thanks Adam, really appreciate you taking the time to write what you did :slight_smile: